News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I saw it as it was a time where people believed in miracles and magic.  Including it justifies the behavior of characters in the game.  If kissing the toe of some dead guy has some chance of curing leprosy, it would make sense for the player to choose that even knowing in real life that will not be the result.  It works well with the historical feeling of the game.  Giving the character control of magic in a simple mechanical way (summon familiar for 200 dark power points), makes magic overt and less historical.  It also, paradoxically make the magic less believable.  Strange things happen in history that are hard to explain.  A virgin peasant leading an army to drive out the English is fantastic but is recorded.  It's just barely believable.  Use 1000 points of magic to create virgin savior actually makes it less believable.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

I guess this is okay. Not all that exciting though.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-34-facts-about-artifacts-real-talk-about-relics.988111/

QuoteHello all, it's been a while, but it's my turn to write a Dev Diary again! Today I'm going to tell you about the Treasury system we're adding in 2.7. This system itself is part of the free patch. However, a lot of the content for it is part of Monks and Mystics.

The Treasury is where characters store their items, such as weapons, artifacts, or holy relics. In many ways items are much like Character Modifiers which you are likely already familiar with, but Character Modifiers are a fairly limited and not entirely clear system. With the new Treasury system we have greater control over how they work and when they are active as well as more UI space to display and explain them. Not only that, this system allows items to be inheritable and stealable.

We hope that seeing your character's items as physical object rather than just a number on their character sheet will offer greater immersion, especially for player who like to focus on role-playing. Sure, in the past you could find a nice axe to increase your personal combat skill, but it was just another number - now you'll see a gleaming axe, ready to hew the limbs from your foes!

As an example, say your Character has found the Holy Grail - you will now see the Grail in your Treasury with a picture and a description as well as the effects of owning it. Further, if some Norseman comes along and raids your castle, there's a chance that he'll make off with your precious Grail - however, since he's not a Christian your most holy relic is nothing more than a fancy cup to him.

As mentioned, items are also inheritable, they all go to a character's primary heir. In the event someone dies without an heir, the items will pass to their liege if they have one, but they have a chance of being lost in the process. If an independant character dies without heirs, their items are lost - although if time permits we have talked about them having a chance to be snapped up by powerful vassals.

For 2.7 we're converting several character modifiers into items, such as the +1 axe you might find while raiding, the saint's bones you might find on a pilgrimage, or the trophy you made from the skull of your rival. With Monks and Mystics we're adding a lot more, such as:

Commissioning swords from skilled smiths.
Buying fabulous Crown Jewels.
Hunting for Holy Artifacts.

As well as the items you can find or make while playing, we have also added a system to place some Artifacts into character's Treasuries when a new game is started. These are mostly placed at random to keep things interesting, but there are also a few historical artifacts given to famous characters.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Sounds nice in theory. But managing it will suck.
Could be cool for gift giving though.

QuoteDo you have any arguments to back up those assertions? :hmm:

Hey, my character just recieved an offer to join some religious club.... I'm going to get an event every year or so to say he's been to a meeting and got in an argument so +5 relations with those 5 random members, most of whom mean nothing to me, and -5 with those 2. Same applies.
Meh.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on December 05, 2016, 03:19:48 PM
I saw it as it was a time where people believed in miracles and magic.  Including it justifies the behavior of characters in the game.  If kissing the toe of some dead guy has some chance of curing leprosy, it would make sense for the player to choose that even knowing in real life that will not be the result.  It works well with the historical feeling of the game.  Giving the character control of magic in a simple mechanical way (summon familiar for 200 dark power points), makes magic overt and less historical.  It also, paradoxically make the magic less believable.  Strange things happen in history that are hard to explain.  A virgin peasant leading an army to drive out the English is fantastic but is recorded.  It's just barely believable.  Use 1000 points of magic to create virgin savior actually makes it less believable.

I couldn't agree more.

So on that artifact thing, in Gavelkind does all your shit get divided to?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

Hmm, in general the character-based role playing approach is the strength of CK2, but adding an inventory with items and stuff like "dark power" (from on of the last screenshots) is getting a bit too deep into that aspect for me. It's not like it will hurt the game, but I am not really exited about the feature.

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on December 12, 2016, 04:20:27 PM
Hmm, in general the character-based role playing approach is the strength of CK2, but adding an inventory with items and stuff like "dark power" (from on of the last screenshots) is getting a bit too deep into that aspect for me. It's not like it will hurt the game, but I am not really exited about the feature.

The main thing I worry about are family connections and that each member is not a drooling idiot. Though often I will put some relative in charge of some big duchy and then that branch of the family will be leading the revolt to install the elective monarchy. Then I have to execute my own damn cousins.

So I am not even sure what good that does me. I guess it helps my score somehow.

I cannot imagine caring about kitty cats, magical doo-dads, and secret samurai swords...I mean unless they help me hold onto power somehow.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on December 12, 2016, 12:24:45 PM

So on that artifact thing, in Gavelkind does all your shit get divided to?

I've seen mods make it work.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Pedrito

b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 12, 2016, 07:37:41 PM
I have the hand of Vecna.

Be careful with that when touching the Rod of Lordly Might  :cool:

garbon

Yeah, pass. Also, I like the bit in bold. Already telling us how to turn off part of a DLC. :lol:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-36-the-witching-hour.993525/

QuoteI hope you all had a good time during the Holidays. I know I did, but now it's time to don the crown, strap on the sword and get back to work on Crusader Kings II (and my other game, of course...) Now, what better way to start off the new year than with a bit of harmless witchery? In the terribly long eras before the great thinkers of the Age of Reason would have us replace magic with science, the "occult" was of course seen as a normal part of life, and society lived in fear of curses and evil spells. But... just because you're superstitious does not mean the witches aren't out to get you! Just like today, the desperate and the unscrupulous would seek power by any means necessary, including the worship of demons and evil spirits...

This brings us to my favorite Society in the upcoming expansion Monks and Mystics; the Demon Worshippers. These brothers and sisters of the left-hand path come in several varieties: Abrahamics get "Lucifer's Own", Tengri pagans get the "Plaguebringers", the Indian faiths are afflicted with a particularly nasty type of Kali worship, Baltic, Slavic and Finnic pagans get "The Cold Ones" (evil shamans) and Germanic Pagans have those who curry the favor of Hel and of powerful jotuns. Regardless of religious context, they are all united in their self-serving, utterly ruthless quest for power in the world of the living, and care little for their fate in the afterlife. As they advance through the ranks, Demon Worshippers get powers like "Dark Divorce", "Summon Familiar" and "Tainted Touch" (a health curse.) Through their network of agents, they can also attempt to abduct relatively low ranking characters. Now, a lot of the content for the Demon Worshippers is hard to explain in terms of placebo effects and natural phenomena, so if you don't care for the supernatural I suggest simply not joining those Societies (because rooting out their covens and persecuting them through your Court Chaplain is reasonably historical and adds flavor to the game.) However, if you really don't want them around, you can turn them off through a Game Rule.

Next up are the infamous Assassins, a Shiite Muslim Society that - unsurprisingly - specializes in murder. The elusive Assassins consider themselves the true followers of Allah, and will do anything to further the advances of Shia Islam and protect their fellow believers. Consisting of loyal warriors as well as competent spies, wielding manipulation and social skills as expertly as a dagger, they specialize in asymmetrical warfare, striking hard at the heart of their enemies. Their special powers include intimidation and murder. For example, they can get a Favor with someone (if you have the Conclave expansion) by leaving a dagger on their pillow. At higher ranks, they can also mark someone for death, so that lower ranked members will get that murder as a mission. Since this Society is also a political entity and a Holy Order of sorts, the Grandmaster gets the power to raise special troops.

There is more to say about these Societies; their other powers, missions and semi-random events, but I don't want to spoil it all. Oh, and if you have the Way of Life expansion, you can use "Spy On" to find out if a character is a member of a secret Society like the above...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

I'm fine with secret societies, cults, and such... it adds to the flavor. But they seem to be making them too powerful and effective in this DLC.

Valmy

Can I get a sword +1 dark power if I join your cult?

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on January 09, 2017, 10:09:11 AM
I'm fine with secret societies, cults, and such... it adds to the flavor. But they seem to be making them too powerful and effective in this DLC.

I mind as I'd rather they add flavour that is interesting for the period (more event chains, more interactions between characters) than add mechanics with new menus that are primarily fantasy based but I know people seem to love some of this fantastic shit and will lap it up.

Valmy

Too bad the Nine Gates do not get written until 1666. I could be involved in the quest to find all the LCF engravings.

Too obscure? :P