News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

I need new computer!

Started by katmai, March 19, 2011, 10:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

I'm playing some graphics intensive games so need a good graphics, but the PSU and HD on my current pc are still less then 12months old so will keep them. Oh and also no need for monitor, keyboard or mouse.

Hoping to get all that need for under $750, is that realistic?

All suggestions for  motherboard, video card, etc wanted and appreciated
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: katmai on March 19, 2011, 10:48:46 PM
I'm playing some graphics intensive games so need a good graphics, but the PSU and HD on my current pc are still less then 12months old so will keep them. Oh and also no need for monitor, keyboard or mouse.

What are your motherboard and RAM specs?  You might only need a GPU upgrade.

At any rate, replacing the motherboard, RAM, and GPU for under $750 is easily do-able.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

AMD option
Intel option

Now, I must refrain from studying parts lest I start buying them myself. :P

viper37

Quote from: katmai on March 19, 2011, 10:48:46 PM

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition
Board: Asus Crosshair IV Extreme or Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD7
RAM: Corsair Dominator GT with DHX Pro Connector and Airflow II Fan — 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CMT4GX3M2A1866C9)  x 2 (8gb total).
OR
RAM: Corsair Dominator with DHX Pro Connector — 4GB Dual Channel, 1.5V,  DDR3 Memory Kit (CMP4GX3M2B1600C)
GPU: AMD Radeon 6870.

If it goes overbudget, change the RAM, find some other DDR3 ram, but try to go 8gb.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Norgy

According to most tests, the Intel i5 2500k is the best gaming cost/efficieny cpu. Get a P67 motherboard. They are not cheap, but the Asus Sabertooth both looks cool and seems to offer a bit of extra sturdiness. I am very happy with my X58 version, which has taken a lot of punishment.

GPUs are a different matter. I have tried both the HD 5870 in Crossfire (which is good, but produces more heat than you really want) and the nVidia GTX 580 which I would recommend as a single GPU. The MSi Twin Frozr II version seems to stay relatively cool. Relatively. With maxed out settings, it reached 79 degrees after two hours of Shogun 2 yesterday.

However, most reliable tests seem to say that a pair of HD 6850s (or 6870s) in Crossfire or a pair of GTX 560 ti in SLI would be really rocking.

How much wattage can your PSU reliably provide? You would need 700W or so for a Crossfire/SLI setup or a GTX 580.
If that is not an option, the Gigabyte GTX 560 ti Superclocked recieves rave reviews, but costs 20 % more than your average GTX 560, it seems.

HD 6970s and GTX 570s are comparable, and most major makers now have them with custom coolers and overclocking. From what I hear, and see, they do well in benchmark tests.

Since I couldn't see what Moldy recommended at NewEgg, just shoot me if it was the same.

New SSDs arrive as well, making the older ones cheaper.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Norgy on March 20, 2011, 12:07:23 PM
Since I couldn't see what Moldy recommended at NewEgg, just shoot me if it was the same.

I fixed it.  I put the wrong links in the first time.

Norgy

The i5 760 is a good choice, too, as far as gaming goes.

I have an i7 950, which is ok, but runs a bit too hot for comfortable overclocking.

katmai

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Norgy I went up from default 300w to 650w PSU.

Moldy this rig is coming up on 5 years.
it's AMD dual core 2.2ghz
2GB of Memory which when i looked into upgrading is older out of date chips so instead of wasting money on that would rather put towards new rig.
And the Motherboard/tower is funky setup where with Video Cards these days with their onboard fans won't even fit on the bord/in the case (so I'm stuck with a Nvidia 8600 card as was best that i could find that didn't need two slots worth of room)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on March 20, 2011, 08:57:38 AM

lol, I had one of the cyberguys at work draw me up the specs for a gaming rig based on the Thermaltake 10 gaming case.  Came to roughly $4K.  Woof!

katmai

So after reading what you guys posted and browsing around other places, came up with following

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM: G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
GPU: XFX HD-687A-ZNFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit DDR5

added a new case on newegg total of $795, and then $90 for shipping for total of $885

Barrister

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on March 20, 2011, 08:57:38 AM
AMD option
Intel option

Why NVidia in both?

I thought AMD's graphics were generally superior these days (at least in terms of efficiency/cooling).

If I was going to build a system it would probably be Intel - Radeon.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on March 20, 2011, 07:17:29 PM
I thought AMD's graphics were generally superior these days (at least in terms of efficiency/cooling).
no, not always.  Both Nvidia and AMD have deals with some game publishers/developpers to get an edge when the game is released.  For DA2, Radeon is clearly the superior card.  For other games, Nvidia kicks ass.  In general, they offer even performances.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on March 20, 2011, 09:59:29 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 20, 2011, 07:17:29 PM
no, not always.  Both Nvidia and AMD have deals with some game publishers/developpers to get an edge when the game is released.  For DA2, Radeon is clearly the superior card.  For other games, Nvidia kicks ass.  In general, they offer even performances.

Notice I said efficiency / cooling.  Not who can crank out the last extra FPS.

AMD's cards are running cooler (Fermi in particular is supposed to be an absolute blast furnace, though fast).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Cerr

Quote from: katmai on March 20, 2011, 07:00:23 PM
So after reading what you guys posted and browsing around other places, came up with following

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM: G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
GPU: XFX HD-687A-ZNFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit DDR5

added a new case on newegg total of $795, and then $90 for shipping for total of $885
Your motherboard isn't right for that CPU.
You need a P67 Rev 3.0, Sockel 1155 motherboard for a Sandybridge CPU.

katmai

Yeah copy/pasted the wrong one there. :D