News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Take-Out and tipping

Started by vinraith, April 12, 2009, 03:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 12, 2009, 06:33:54 PM
Except that if you disallow tipping and that awesome waitress is already working at full capacity her awesomeness doesn't add anything to the bottom line so the owner has no incentive to increase her wages.
Keeping the clients happy is worth something to the bottom line.

vinraith

Quote from: DGuller on April 12, 2009, 06:29:53 PM
I'd go one step further and say that tips shouldn't be allowed at all.  Once you allow the tips, you open the door to the messy situations we have now.  If you're a good waitress, then a smart restaurant owner would consider you an asset, and compensate you accordingly, just like it works in any other field.

Sure, but that kind of thing doesn't happen very often. In reality good employees usually get shat on.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on April 12, 2009, 06:36:03 PM
Keeping the clients happy is worth something to the bottom line.
OK, you're probably right.  But you're still asking the manager, who has zero customer/waitress interaction, to make a guess about the quality of the service, and then to make another guess about the relationship of that service to the bottom line.  As opposed to the customer, who has immediate and up close information about the quality of the service.

stjaba

I tip 2 to 3 bucks to delivery drivers, and nothing when I pick up food. AFAIK, they have a different salary base than tipped staff, and therfore I don't feel obligated to leave anything. Sometimes those people give me dirty looks, or seem surprised after I sign the receipt and leave no tip, but meh.

Phillip V

I tip all the time and generously so that people do not hate Cambodians.

The Nickname Who Was Thursday

Quote from: Phillip V on April 12, 2009, 08:02:07 PM
I tip all the time and generously so that people do not hate Cambodians.

:ultra:

You fuckers should have thought about that before you harbored VC.
The Erstwhile Eddie Teach

alfred russel

It is amazing how much people resent tipping (I'm basing that on how often these threads pop up).

I hardly think that wait staff are overpaid right now. And if we are either going to pay either in the form of a tip or through increased meal cost, we are better off paying through tips to keep our servers on their toes.

If you are unsure what to tip in a certain situation, rather than wildly guessing and feeling awkward about the situation, why not ask what is expected at the restaurant?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on April 12, 2009, 09:59:02 PM
It is amazing how much people resent tipping (I'm basing that on how often these threads pop up).

I hardly think that wait staff are overpaid right now. And if we are either going to pay either in the form of a tip or through increased meal cost, we are better off paying through tips to keep our servers on their toes.

If you are unsure what to tip in a certain situation, rather than wildly guessing and feeling awkward about the situation, why not ask what is expected at the restaurant?
It's not the amounts involved that cause resentment, it's the fact that it's bribery.  The implied threat behind the tipping is the issue.  No one likes being threatened, even if the threats can be dealt with easily.

DontSayBanana

My rule of thumb with tipping is if anybody touched it other than food prep and cashier. If a waiter/waitress or delivery person was involved, I tip.

I actually tip high for pizza places after finding out that they make peanuts and most are still expected to pay for their own gas, plus the difference in insurance for using their own vehicle for delivery.
Experience bij!

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Since their employer is forced to make up the difference between their wage plus tips and the federal minimum wage, I don't see the point.

Caliga

Quote from: vinraith on April 12, 2009, 06:50:09 PMSure, but that kind of thing doesn't happen very often. In reality good employees usually get shat on.

That varies drastically depending on the industry, the employee's role, and indeed the individual business.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Languish has an extremely high proportion of misanthropes. Tipping isn't an issue in the real world to the vast majority of people.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

I certainly don't mind tipping, but the average amount generally considered acceptable appears to be slowly creeping upwards. When I was a teen, 10% was considered average, then it was 15%, and now some people are tipping 20% ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

MadImmortalMan

Generally, I tip if it's the kind of restaurant you would normally sit down in and have a meal like Outback or whatever, yeah.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on April 13, 2009, 01:20:04 AM
It's not the amounts involved that cause resentment, it's the fact that it's bribery.  The implied threat behind the tipping is the issue.  No one likes being threatened, even if the threats can be dealt with easily.

:huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.