News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Take-Out and tipping

Started by vinraith, April 12, 2009, 03:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on April 12, 2009, 04:48:36 PM
How much do you typically tip for delivery?

For a $20 delivery, I'll tip an even $5.  Those poor bastards are taking their lives in their hands in this town.

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 12, 2009, 04:49:58 PM

For a $20 delivery, I'll tip an even $5.  Those poor bastards are taking their lives in their hands in this town.
Damn, I'm cheap.  I always assumed that delivery tip is a smaller percentage than a full service in a restaurant tip.  I'd tip to a round figure that would fall between 10-15%.

CountDeMoney

DisturbedPervert

Enough to ensure they don't spit in your pizza next time you order.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on April 12, 2009, 05:02:45 PM

No shit.  I've always tipped so well, they'll deliver to me first.  Hell, I've had such great relationships with my delivery guys in the past, they actually picked me up cigarettes on the way over first.

vinraith

Quote from: DGuller on April 12, 2009, 04:55:52 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 12, 2009, 04:49:58 PM

Damn, I'm cheap.  I always assumed that delivery tip is a smaller percentage than a full service in a restaurant tip.  I'd tip to a round figure that would fall between 10-15%.

Yeah, for delivery I usually tip about 10% and then round up to the nearest dollar. Then again delivery people don't need to wear bullet proof vests around here, so there's no mark-up.

DGuller

I usually order from Domino's, so spit is only going to improve it.

Admiral Yi

I give 20% to delivery people.  They drove 15 minutes to get to my place, the waiter only walked 50 feet to my table.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on April 12, 2009, 05:06:05 PMI usually order from Domino's, so spit is only going to improve it.

Goddamn.  Not only are you cheap, you've got shitty taste.

Ed Anger

If the Sonic girl is cute, 4 or 5 bucks.

Pizza delivery fucks, usually none as I refuse to pay a gas fee and eat their shitty pizza.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

vinraith

See, this is the concern with the curbside thing. It isn't "do they deserve a tip," it's "how much do THEY think they deserve a tip and how hostile are they going to be about not getting one" which is why I ask about how they're paid.

DGuller

Quote from: vinraith on April 12, 2009, 05:23:52 PM
See, this is the concern with the curbside thing. It isn't "do they deserve a tip," it's "how much do THEY think they deserve a tip and how hostile are they going to be about not getting one" which is why I ask about how they're paid.
That's why I despise the culture of tipping.  Tips effectively become bribes to get a good service, with all the same numerous negative consequences.

vinraith

Quote from: DGuller on April 12, 2009, 05:40:42 PM
Quote from: vinraith on April 12, 2009, 05:23:52 PM
That's why I despise the culture of tipping.  Tips effectively become bribes to get a good service, with all the same numerous negative consequences.

You're not wrong. Really, it's just bullshit that restaurants pay their wait staff a pittance on the grounds that the customers will make it up in "voluntary" donations. Ideally, tips would be for genuinely great service, but I don't blame wait staff for being hostile to non-tippers considering the way they're paid.

DGuller

I'd go one step further and say that tips shouldn't be allowed at all.  Once you allow the tips, you open the door to the messy situations we have now.  If you're a good waitress, then a smart restaurant owner would consider you an asset, and compensate you accordingly, just like it works in any other field.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on April 12, 2009, 06:29:53 PM
I'd go one step further and say that tips shouldn't be allowed at all.  Once you allow the tips, you open the door to the messy situations we have now.  If you're a good waitress, then a smart restaurant owner would consider you an asset, and compensate you accordingly, just like it works in any other field.
Except that if you disallow tipping and that awesome waitress is already working at full capacity her awesomeness doesn't add anything to the bottom line so the owner has no incentive to increase her wages.