We're doomed! We're all doomed!! But only for 2116.

Started by viper37, March 18, 2011, 01:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

French text

Selon de récents calculs, la fin du monde prévue dans le calendrier maya aura lieu... en 2116.
La  présumée date fatidique du 21 décembre 2012 était le résultat d'une  erreur de 104 ans, rectifiée par deux scientifiques allemands, grâce à  un code maya conservé à la bibliothèque de Dresde.
Ils ont publié le résultat de leurs recherches dans la revue Astronomische Nachrichtenles, reportant ainsi la fin du monde.

According to recent calculations, the end the world according to the Mayan Calendar will happen in... 2116.
The presumed fatal date of December 21st 2012 was the result of a 104 years calculation error, rectified by two german scientists, with the help of a mayan codex preserved in Dresde library.
They published their research results in the Astronomische Nachrichtenles magazine, pushing back the end of the world.

Great!  I get to live longer :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

If this gets wide publicity, you'll suddenly see a whole bunch of nuts who are trying to profit off of 2012 desperately try to come up with reasons why the calculation error isn't an error after all. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josquius

That's all we need. Now when the end fails to happen next year they'll just extend it.
But....I guess its better we have a set extension date so far in the future rather than letting them just pick 2016 or the like  and get worked up for that.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

There will always be people who believe the end is nigh. The Mayan calendar thing is a pretext, not a reason.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Strix

Quote from: Caliga on March 18, 2011, 01:38:12 PM
If this gets wide publicity, you'll suddenly see a whole bunch of nuts who are trying to profit off of 2012 desperately try to come up with reasons why the calculation error isn't an error after all. :)

They could learn from the Seventh-day Adventist Church.  :secret:
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on March 18, 2011, 01:38:12 PM
Jehova's Witnesses used to predict the end of the world every now and then during the 80s.  Wonder what they invented to get out of this mess.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 18, 2011, 04:41:39 PM
There will always be people who believe the end is nigh. The Mayan calendar thing is a pretext, not a reason.
True to an extent. Big ones with 'proof' like 2012 get so much more attention than just random nutters picking a date off a calendar though.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on March 18, 2011, 06:00:21 PM
True to an extent. Big ones with 'proof' like 2012 get so much more attention than just random nutters picking a date off a calendar though.
Big ones?  As in more than one? :huh:

Tonitrus

This information must be wrong...it contradicts my Shadowrun Sourcebook.  :mad:

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 18, 2011, 08:08:58 PM
This information must be wrong...it contradicts my Shadowrun Sourcebook.  :mad:

FASA is never wrong. :nerd:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

MadBurgerMaker