News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Azerbaijan threatens to down Armenian flights

Started by jimmy olsen, March 17, 2011, 09:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I'd think twice if I was them, the West is distracted with the crisis in Japan and the Arabs, but the Russians won't ignore war breaking out in the near abroad.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com./n.php?n=azerbaijan-threatens-to-down-armenian-flights-2011-03-17

QuoteAzerbaijan threatens to down Armenian flights

Font Size: Larger|Smaller
Thursday, March 17, 2011
BAKU - Agence France-Presse

Azerbaijan on Wednesday threatened to shoot down civilian planes flying to the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region if the separatist Armenian authorities who control the region reopen an airport there.

Azerbaijan considers Karabakh to be occupied by the Armenians, and Baku's state aviation agency said it has told the International Civil Aviation Organization, or ICAO, that the region's airspace was closed and any flights would be unauthorized.

"According to the law on aviation, it is even possible to physically destroy airplanes which are heading there," said Arif Mammadov, the director of Azerbaijan's Civil Aviation Administration, in comments to local media. "We asked the ICAO to notify the opposing side in order to prevent incidents," he said.

The separatist Karabakh authorities have been rebuilding the airport near their de facto capital Stepanakert and plan to restart commercial flights to Yerevan in May.

The airport has been closed since the outbreak of the Karabakh war in the early 1990s, which saw ethnic Armenian forces backed by Yerevan seize control over the region from Baku amid fighting that left an estimated 30,000 dead.

An official at the separatist Karabakh presidential office said that "criminal" threats would not stop the planned flights, which are set to begin amid increasing tensions and exchanges of gunfire across the ceasefire line which has divided the two sides since the end of the war.

"We are determined to open the airport, no matter whom it vexes in Azerbaijan," the official, David Babaian, told the PanArmenian news agency.

"Any slight attempt Azerbaijan might take will be fraught with unpredictable repercussions for Azerbaijan itself," he said.

Azerbaijan has threatened to use force to win back Karabakh if peace talks do not yield satisfactory results, while Armenia has warned of large-scale retaliation if Baku launches any military action.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

I support our Azerbaijani brothers and oppose this aggressive act by Armenia.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Berkut

I am strongly for and against one side and the other side in their efforts to secure freedom and/or destroy the rebels.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

I think Spellus has been recovered from his Armenian obsession for quite some time now.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

JonasSalk

Are they really that eager to start another war considering the ass-kicking they got last time?
Yuman

derspiess

Quote from: JonasSalk on March 17, 2011, 12:54:28 PM
Are they really that eager to start another war considering the ass-kicking they got last time?

They have money now, plus US & Turkish backing.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

Go Armenia go.
Sure, they're Russian supported, but they're the good guys. Azerbaijan has an exclave deep in Armenia afterall so they're being really dickish not to respect the will of the people in the area.
Unfortuntaely Azerbaijan are much richer and more likely to win in such a war barring Russia getting involved.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 17, 2011, 01:48:52 PM

Don't we back both sides?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 17, 2011, 03:07:45 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 17, 2011, 01:48:52 PM

Don't we back both sides?

Maybe, but Armenia is within the Sov-- err, Russian sphere of influence.  Russia's backing more than cancels out our own.  Azerbaijan is a more valuable ally for us anyway.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 17, 2011, 07:30:29 PM
How can you tell which is more valuable?

Oil, geographic position, hatred for Russia.