News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Corporal Buckles laid to rest at Arlington

Started by CountDeMoney, March 15, 2011, 07:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 16, 2011, 11:32:36 AM
I haven't (altho it doesn't the same reach here then in the rest of Canada).

Ceremonies are all well in good but that's not what I meant. I don't know the situation in Canada but from the article it's clear the WWI vet never got the treatment the WWII vet got.

But you live in Canada...

WWI vets in this country received a lot of attention.  As I mentioned, Rememberance Day and the poppy go back to WWI, not WWII.

Now they didn't get as good a financial deal as returning WWII vets did, it is true.  But the world kind of went into a large recession in 1919.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Habbaku

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 16, 2011, 12:13:57 PM
Yeah, let's not talk about the Korean Wars vet, those guys got screwed. The worse remains the Spanish civil war vets, atleast here.

Did many Canadians go off to fight for the Nationalists?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grey Fox

Quote from: Habbaku on March 16, 2011, 01:34:46 PM
Yeah, let's not talk about the Korean Wars vet, those guys got screwed. The worse remains the Spanish civil war vets, atleast here.

Did many Canadians go off to fight for the Nationalists?

If any did they hid it better then those on the Republican side did.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Habbaku

Makes sense that they didn't receive any adulation, then--they were too humble.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Jacob

You know it's a bad troll when you have to use a second post in the hope of getting a bite.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 16, 2011, 06:34:28 AM
When he didn't post any comments you people keep crying about it, now that he does you are still crying.

Bunch of emotweens.

Maybe, and this might just blow your mind, it's different people making the different complaints.

I don't care at all if people choose not to comment on a news story they post. If the story is interesting it speaks for itself. Tim's comments-because-I-have-to can be slightly annoying at times, but not really worth mentioning- I only said something because you brought it up.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

The worse remains the Spanish civil war vets, atleast here.
:huh:  I wasn't even aware Canada was a belligerent in the Spanish Civil War!  Which side did Canada take?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on March 16, 2011, 02:29:04 PM
The worse remains the Spanish civil war vets, atleast here.
:huh:  I wasn't even aware Canada was a belligerent in the Spanish Civil War!  Which side did Canada take?

:hmm:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Quote from: grumbler on March 16, 2011, 02:29:04 PM
:D
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Please elaborate.

Zoupa

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 15, 2011, 07:14:15 PM
QuoteFrank Buckles, last U.S. vet­eran of World War I, laid to rest at Arlington
By Paul Duggan, Tuesday, March 15, 5:42 PM

A lowly corporal of long ago was buried Tuesday in Arlington National Cemetery, ushered to his grave with all the Army's Old Guard solemn pomp.

Frank Woodruff Buckles lived to be 110, the last of nearly 5 million American veterans of a dimly remembered war — a generation now laid to rest.

Wtf. 5 million ?

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Zoupa

You guys were at war for a year and had a 5-million strong army/navy/air force?

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Zoupa on March 17, 2011, 01:55:32 AM
You guys were at war for a year and had a 5-million strong army/navy/air force?

4.5 million, I think?  Something like that.

Edit:  4.7?  Fuck I don't remember.  Eh.  Couple hundred thousand plus or minus.  No biggie.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhnUgAaea4M   :D