U.S. Hispanic growth outstrips census estimates: study

Started by Caliga, March 15, 2011, 01:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

That's right, take your continent back from the gringos, mi amigos. :)

Por mi parte, la bienvenida a nuestros nuevos señores mexicas.

Tacos para algunos, en miniatura banderas mexicanas por los demás.

QuoteU.S. Hispanic growth outstrips census estimates: study
PHOENIX | Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:44pm EDT

PHOENIX (Reuters) - Growth of the U.S. Hispanic population is so fast and dynamic that it has outstripped estimates by the U.S. Census Bureau, according to a study released on Tuesday.

The report by the Pew Hispanic Center think-tank found that the Latino population in the 33 states so far tallied in the 2010 Census totaled 38.7 million, 1.5 percent higher than the U.S. Census Bureau's own previous estimates.

The gap between the Census 2010 count and the bureau's projections was widest in states in the Southeast and upper Midwest of the United States which had not previously had large Hispanic populations.

States with the greatest discrepancy included Kansas, Louisiana and Alabama, where the estimates and census tally were adrift by 10.8 percent, 13.2 percent and 15.9 percent respectively.

The projections for the traditional Hispanic destinations of California, Texas and Illinois, meanwhile, were out from the final tally by 0.7 percent, 0.9 percent and 1.1 percent respectively..

"In the traditional Hispanic states the estimates have been very close, but it's in the newer areas where Hispanics have settled in the past ten years or so that the counts are coming in significantly higher," senior demographer Jeffrey S. Passel told Reuters.

"When trends change, demographers aren't very good at picking them up until they have changed quite a bit ... Generally speaking areas and populations that are growing rapidly tend to be underestimated," he added, accounting for the discrepancy.

Hispanics are the largest and fastest growing minority in the United States.

A previous Census Bureau projection tipped ethnic and racial minorities in the United States to become the majority by 2050, by which time nearly one in three U.S. residents will be Latino.

The full census tally for Hispanics in all U.S. states is expected by the end of March.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

There'd be one more to that number had I not intervened on the birth certificate when Tommy was born.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on March 15, 2011, 01:22:41 PM
There'd be one more to that number had I not intervened on the birth certificate when Tommy was born.
:( But spiess... IT IS HIS DESTINY. :menace:

Barrister

They record your racial background on a birth certificate???
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on March 15, 2011, 01:29:39 PM

:yes: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c3/United_States_long_form_birth_certificate.gif

Note how this sample even asks for whether the baby is of Hispanic origin, just to weed out the "white, but not really" ones.

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on March 15, 2011, 01:36:35 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 15, 2011, 01:29:39 PM

:yes: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c3/United_States_long_form_birth_certificate.gif

Note how this sample even asks for whether the baby is of Hispanic origin, just to weed out the "white, but not really" ones.

Wow that's dumb.

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on March 15, 2011, 01:24:02 PM

I'm just glad I didn't have to answer whether he had any Irish ancestry.  To tell a family secret, my wife's great-grandfather was Irish.

If Lola has red hair when she pops out next month, that's gonna be a tougher one to conceal :(
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on March 15, 2011, 01:45:01 PM
I'm just glad I didn't have to answer whether he had any Irish ancestry.  To tell a family secret, my wife's great-grandfather was Irish.
:nelson:  I hope you didn't inherit the Irish curse. :(

Barrister

If Lola has red hair when she pops out next month, that's gonna be a tougher one to conceal :(

There's nothing wrong with irish ancestry, as long as you stay away from the red devil of Rome!   :mad:

:orangelodge:

KRonn

More people equals more dynamism in the nation, economic power, etc.   :)

Ed Anger

Don't worry, I've added 5 Irish to the rolls. 26+6=1.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 15, 2011, 04:14:46 PM

Don't worry, I've added 5 Irish to the rolls. 26+6=1.

Remember 1690.   :bowler:

Ed Anger

I assume that is an Orange thing. I'm not going to bother looking it up.

I'll just keep trolling with my 26+6=1 thing.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 15, 2011, 04:21:58 PM
I assume that is an Orange thing. I'm not going to bother looking it up.

I'll just keep trolling with my 26+6=1 thing.

You really are an irish catholic then.  Not only bad at math, but lazy too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Boyne

No surrender.   :bowler: