U.S. millionaires say $7 million not enough to be rich

Started by garbon, March 14, 2011, 10:40:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Brazen

Quote from: Martinus on March 15, 2011, 05:02:25 AM
Quote from: Barrister on March 14, 2011, 01:17:43 PM
Yeah, my new house was bought for almost a half million dollars.

Wow. That's insane.
Half million Canadian? My two-bed tiny terraced house went for more than that. My flat's worth 2/3 of that :weep: Bet it's a big house too.

Malthus

Wow. That's insane.

You couldn't buy a three-bedroom house in Toronto for $500,000 in a reasonable area. The average is now up around $700,000. For that, don't expect it to be recently renovated.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on March 15, 2011, 08:18:28 AM

Wow. That's insane.

You couldn't buy a three-bedroom house in Toronto for $500,000 in a reasonable area. The average is now up around $700,000. For that, don't expect it to be recently renovated.

It's just hard to think of Edmonton as similar to Toronto.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on March 15, 2011, 08:35:10 AM

Wow. That's insane.

Edmonton is a resource boom-town. Everyone and their sister is moving to Alberta to capitalize on an economy fueled by, well, fuel. This has sent property values there soaring.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on March 15, 2011, 09:05:46 AM
Edmonton is a resource boom-town. Everyone and their sister is moving to Alberta to capitalize on an economy fueled by, well, fuel. This has sent property values there soaring.

Yeah fair...I'm just saying that instinctively it's hard for me to think of wanting to pay a lot to live in Edmonton. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Warspite

Quote from: DGuller on March 14, 2011, 12:36:10 PM
If you buy an inflation-adjusted annuity today for $2 mil, with 5% growth rate, and 3% inflation adjustment, you'll start with approximately $50,000 payment per year.

I would say that I am of the opinion that unearned income of $50,000 a year is essentially "rich". You may not be jetting off to St Tropez every week, but you could certainly lead a life of leisure.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on March 15, 2011, 08:35:10 AM

Wow. That's insane.

Well then it's going to blow your mind when I tell you that I sold my house in Yukon for almost as much as I bought my new house for.   :P

Resource booms in both places.  Oil in Alberta, mining in Yukon.  Thank God I've been in the market long enough to benefit - I don't know how someone looking to buy their first home would be able to do it.

And Brazen - it'd probably be huge by British standards, but in N America, it really isn't.  Someone edited out how my almost a half million dollar house was really quite ordinary.   :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on March 15, 2011, 11:01:53 AM
Well then it's going to blow your mind when I tell you that I sold my house in Yukon for almost as much as I bought my new house for.   :P

Mind not blown but it does seem a waste. :P

DGuller

Wow, that's a lot of house to finance when you can't even get a true fixed rate mortgage.

Grey Fox

Quote from: DGuller on March 15, 2011, 11:27:41 AM
Wow, that's a lot of house to finance when you can't even get a true fixed rate mortgage.

& none tax deductible interests!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive