So like...em...where does MONEY come from?

Started by Josephus, April 12, 2009, 07:46:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

[FIXED] OK...Probably the silliest question ever on this forum, and there have been a few. But bear with me.

I was at church last night, and started day dreaming. And started thinking about money and more specifically...since it doesn't go on trees...Where does it come from?

I mean...OK...I know that the national bank prints money. I know that because every year I see crispy new bills. But how does that enter the ledgers? I mean....what? If it prints 10 billion dollars a year; doesn't it have to write it off against something else? Basic accounting...debit and credits.

A government can't just print money to pay its debts..right? So how does it decide how much to print each year. What happens if it doesn't print any at all?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Oooops.

I meant MONEY...can't change title.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Quote from: Josephus on April 12, 2009, 07:50:03 AM
Oooops.

Easy. Money comes from Baltimore. Next question.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Josephus on April 12, 2009, 07:50:03 AM
Oooops.

I edited a thread title yesterday. You should be able to do it too.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

stjaba

*Warning*

I am not an expert or knowledgable on the subject whatsoever. The following explanation could be completely wrong.

But my interpretation is what the treasury does is basically loan (in the form of bonds) money to banks. Banks loan money to each other and to the public. "Money" is created because banks are only required to keep a certain percentage of deposits on reserve(the fractional reserve system) and are free to loan at the rest. What ends up happening is that the same "dollar" is loaned out several times. This is how the money supply grows. This is why decreasing interest rates increases inflation and the money supply. As it gets cheaper to "buy" money, supply increases and the value of money goes down.

stjaba

grumbler

The physical manifestation of money is currency (which is the thing that is printed) and currency is also non-physical (ie electronically stored).

Money "comes from" physical or mental labor which others wish to acquire.  Money is the "concrete but abstract" manifestation of the value of that labor.  The value is expressed in currency, but how much currency it takes to make up the "money value" of the labor is dependent on the perceived value of the currency at the moment of making the agreement to trade the currency for the results of the labor.

Generally, the terms "money" and "currency" are used interchangeably, but they are not really the same thing.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Physical money that we own these days is largely worthless (anything of worth being paper). Its value comes in that it is a guarantee by the big, powerful issuer that you can cash it in for the actual worth printed on it.
True currency started off being transferable checks and it sort of just ballooned and everyone accepted that the issuers were sound.

What I don't get though is how early money developed. Sure, gold is rare, but so what? Why does that make people want it rather than something that is actually useful? Magpie complex shouldn't explain it all.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on April 12, 2009, 09:43:37 AM
Its value comes in that it is a guarantee by the big, powerful issuer that you can cash it in for the actual worth printed on it.

Isn't that abolished after letting go of silver/gold standards? Or do you mean that the issuer guarantees you can go to the store and buy groceries with it?
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

What I don't get though is how early money developed. Sure, gold is rare, but so what? Why does that make people want it rather than something that is actually useful? Magpie complex shouldn't explain it all.

You sell a crapload of opium to a chinese trader. You can either get a big pile of silver coins for it, which you have to guard and transport back to England, or you can get a note from a big english bank which the chinese acquired, on which the bank in england will give you the exact same amount. Which one will you choose?

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on April 12, 2009, 09:51:14 AM
Its value comes in that it is a guarantee by the big, powerful issuer that you can cash it in for the actual worth printed on it.

Isn't that abolished after letting go of silver/gold standards? Or do you mean that the issuer guarantees you can go to the store and buy groceries with it?

My impression was, when I learned about this several years ago, that basically money worth something because everyone agrees it worths something. Nothing more behind it.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on April 12, 2009, 09:52:50 AM
My impression was, when I learned about this several years ago, that basically money worth something because everyone agrees it worths something. Nothing more behind it.

That, and trust in government, state, economy etc.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Everyone eh? :shifty:

I disagree with money being worth anything. Now hand that worthless crap over to me plz.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.