Computer in the kitchen?

Started by Barrister, March 11, 2011, 05:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Moving to the new house we are of course rationalizing and re-assessing everything.

My wife has an old computer that doesn't get used for much besides her iTunes collection, and the rare occasion we both need to use a computer.  I think it might be time to retire this computer.

The King of Macs is going to go into an office/man cave in the basement, together with my personal law library.   :cool:

But I have a (crazy?) notion to get either a used iMac, or a small form factor computer, and put it in the kitchen.  There's a counter that divides the kitchen from the eating area that we can put a couple of stools up against.  My idea is to put a computer there (which likely would have my wife's iTunes on it) for light web surfing, email, and playing some music.

But I've never had such a set up before, and never had a computer that wasn't intended to also play games on it :nerd:

Any thoughts?  Anyone else do something like this?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

You can get a cheap 200 buck or less netbook and use it as a kitchen computer. Small footprint.

Or you could go the G3 iMac route for 50 bucks. More lost space that way.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

I don't think a netbook would have enough storage, but true, perhaps a laptop could fill that role.

Though not my POS Dell which I want to drop in the river.

MadImmortalMan

I keep recipes on a netbook in the kitchen. The counter space is too precious for anything bigger. If I had room, I might do the same.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 11, 2011, 06:00:29 PM
I keep recipes on a netbook in the kitchen. The counter space is too precious for anything bigger. If I had room, I might do the same.

Recipes are a big reason to consider this actually.  I find a lot of recipes online that I like to try.

A Mac Mini would also be ideal for something like this... :hmm:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on March 11, 2011, 05:57:39 PM
I don't think a netbook would have enough storage, but true, perhaps a laptop could fill that role.

Though not my POS Dell which I want to drop in the river.

Considering how cheap dual core laptops are, you can get a pretty good computer with the bells and whistles for less than 400. US of course. I have no idea what the prices are up there.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Hmm... you can get an Atom-based ultra small form computer for $200 or so.

Already have a monitor and keyboard...

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on March 11, 2011, 06:12:58 PM
Hmm... you can get an Atom-based ultra small form computer for $200 or so.

Already have a monitor and keyboard...

That's what I recommended to you a few months ago :P   In fact, I'm looking to do something exactly the same for my kitchen whenever we get around to redoing it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

You ever had a reason to buy an Ipad. You mac lover.

:lol:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 11, 2011, 10:56:14 PM
You ever had a reason to buy an Ipad. You mac lover.

:lol:

:huh:

What are you trying to say here?

Grey Fox

Buy. An. Ipad.

It's the perfect kitchen computer.

MadImmortalMan

That kinda makes sense. You'd smear that screen all up while cooking, but still.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 11, 2011, 11:17:15 PM
Buy. An. Ipad.

Won't work for iTunes.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on March 11, 2011, 05:51:14 PM
But I have a (crazy?) notion to get either a used iMac, or a small form factor computer, and put it in the kitchen.  There's a counter that divides the kitchen from the eating area that we can put a couple of stools up against.  My idea is to put a computer there (which likely would have my wife's iTunes on it) for light web surfing, email, and playing some music.

Buy an internet fridge with integrated iPod?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on March 11, 2011, 11:59:47 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 11, 2011, 11:17:15 PM
Buy. An. Ipad.

Won't work for iTunes.

Yeah, it's already a music player, why add a music library manager on it? Just sync it like an Ipod.

Can't believe I have to hype this for you.