And we're back!

Main Menu

186,000 African muslims become French

Started by Valmy, March 11, 2011, 05:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

The glorious French Republic expands.

QuoteComoran island Mayotte is now a French department

afrol News, 3 March - Despite strong protests from the government of Comoros, the island of Mayotte has officially become the 101st department of France; or an integral part of the French territory.

Mayotte is a part of the Comoran archipelago in the Indian Ocean, with Comoran language and culture being the dominant on the island. But as Comoros gained independence from France in 1996, the population of Mayotte voted in favour of staying a French colony.

Since then, Comoros has slipped from one political crisis to another, also plagued by a weak economic development. The ongoing stream of "illegal migrants" risking their lives crossing the seas from Comoros to Mayotte illustrates the different developments. This has convinced the population of Mayotte that the choice of staying French was right.

A referendum in 2008 in Mayotte gave citizens the choice of closer or looser ties with the French republic. A large majority, over 95 percent, in the "overseas territory" - as it then was called - voted in favour of becoming an integrated part of France.

Consequently, on 1 March, Mayotte was made the 101st department of France; in line with other departments in mainland France.

In neighbouring Comoros, the step is highly controversial. The government of Comoros since independence has claimed that Mayotte is part of the Comoran territory, and it is given right by the African Union and partially by the UN.

In a strong-worded statement, outgoing Comoran President Abdallah Sambi spoke of the "French occupation of Mayotte," announcing that Comoros would take legal steps to prove the island was part of its territory. Government would call for international arbitration or an international court decision to seek the return of its territory, he announced.

The Mahorais - inhabitants of Mayotte - however clearly do not want any interference from their Comoran neighbours. The 186,500 islanders rather focus on getting the full rights of their French citizenship, including social services and the right to reach an equal level of economic development as mainland France.

The larger island of Réunion, located close to Mauritius, still remains an "overseas department", with a somewhat higher degree of autonomy but also more responsibilities for its own economic and social policies. Réunion, with around 800,000 inhabitants, is culturally much closer to France than Mayotte, due to a large French settler population.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

France is stupid. Surely these overseas departments can only be net drains?
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

They make convenient places to put a naval base without worrying about all that troublesome diplomacy.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tyr on March 11, 2011, 06:28:48 PM

Algeria
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ideologue

Probably, but it's part of the civilizing mission. :bowler:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Viking

The French soccer team needs quality players.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 11, 2011, 06:44:33 PM

Algeria

:yes:
They console themselves with what they have.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

jimmy olsen

That title is such an obvious troll for Slargos.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Zoupa

France would be better off today if Algeria had stayed a part of France. Not to mention that their secession was unconstitutionnal.

Sheilbh

They're also the dream job for civil servants.  French civil servants get a massive boost to their salary when they're posted to a tropical island to enable them to live the lifestyle they're accustomed to in France - which, of course, means importing French goods at large cost :mmm:

Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Zoupa on March 11, 2011, 10:46:43 PM
Algeria would be better off today if Algeria had stayed a part of France. Not to mention that their secession was unconstitutionnal.

Fixed it for you :)

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 12, 2011, 05:46:51 AM
They're also the dream job for civil servants.  French civil servants get a massive boost to their salary when they're posted to a tropical island to enable them to live the lifestyle they're accustomed to in France - which, of course, means importing French goods at large cost :mmm:

How wonderfully Victorian.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 12, 2011, 08:25:12 AM
Algeria would be better off today if Algeria had stayed a part of France. Not to mention that their secession was unconstitutionnal.

Fixed it for you :)
I got to agree with that.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

France would be better off today if Algeria had stayed a part of France. Not to mention that their secession was unconstitutionnal.
Maybe, but what can you do?  Was France going to indefinitely fight an insurgency in Algeria?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.