News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Photos of Hitler’s Wife Stir the Web

Started by garbon, March 10, 2011, 04:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20110310/wl_yblog_upshot/photos-of-hitlers-wife-stir-the-web

QuoteAdolf Hitler is one of the darkest figures of the 20th century. But less is known about his girlfriend, Eva Braun, who he kept secret from Nazi Germany for years.

Pictures of the girlfriend and then wife have recently surfaced through Life Magazine, brought to light through collector and curator Reinhard Schulz.

The cache of photos from the young model's personal album was confiscated in 1945 by the American army. The newly released pictures have caused searches on the Web for "eva braun" to rise over 300% in one day.

So who was the woman by Hitler's side? Young Eva first met Hitler in 1929 when he was a rising star in the Nazi party. He was introduced to the 17-year-old as Herr Wolff, while she modeled for the official Nazi photographer Heinrich Hoffmann in Munich.

The Bavarian became Hitler's companion, despite being kept hidden from the public and often left alone. A depressive, she attempted suicide twice, but still remained loyal to Hitler to the end.

After learning about the failed plot to kill Hitler, Braun wrote him, "From our first meeting I swore to follow you anywhere even unto death. I live only for your love."

In the last days of the war, just before they ended their lives, she became his wife. Braun committed suicide with Hitler at the age of 33.

The unearthed photos show a woman frolicking in the Bavarian Alps with some of the most infamous characters of the Third Reich. One of the images from the Life slideshow that is making waves shows Braun in blackface, dressed up apparently as American actor Al Jolson, who starred in the 1927 movie "The Jazz Singer."

Maybe not surprisingly, the photos of Hitler's longtime companion do not cast her in the most positive light. As the Daily Telegraph put it, "Miss Braun appears as a rather vain and frivolous character."

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Drakken

Am I the only one who find the last picture very... Languish?  :lol:

Josquius

And he could have had any woman in Germany...clearly he was gay.
██████
██████
██████

Drakken

Quote from: Tyr on March 10, 2011, 05:02:58 PM

Eva Braun wasn't exactly ugly either.  :huh:

Slargos

Quote from: Drakken on March 10, 2011, 05:03:49 PM

Pre-photoshop age pictures.  :hmm:

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

QuoteMaybe not surprisingly, the photos of Hitler's longtime companion do not cast her in the most positive light. As the Daily Telegraph put it, "Miss Braun appears as a rather vain and frivolous character."

No, that's what we already knew about her.  I don't see anything in these three photos that indicate she is particularly vain or frivolous.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

Quote from: Drakken on March 10, 2011, 05:03:49 PM

She's not ugly, but nor is she pretty. She's thoroughly homely.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on March 10, 2011, 06:27:38 PM
She's not ugly, but nor is she pretty. She's thoroughly homely.

She was completely into him in a way that very few beautiful women(or homely ones for that matter) would be.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Wasn't Magda Goebbels also thoroughly obsessed with Hitler?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Richard Hakluyt

Agree with Wiggin, she stood by him right to the end and died with him. So, IMO, Hitler made a good choice in this particular instance.

OTOH, if Hitler had been more of a Berlusconi style megalomaniac...........chasing attractive 17-year olds........he might have been distracted from the other stuff.

Ed Anger

he did boink his niece. Closer kin, deeper in.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Yeah, and IIRC she was even younger than 17. :yuk:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 10, 2011, 06:49:29 PM
he did boink his niece. Closer kin, deeper in.
Did he close the deal?  Never heard that before.

I agree with Squeeze about Braun.  Very plain.