News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sovereign debt bubble thread

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 10, 2011, 02:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 20, 2013, 03:30:26 PM
Right.  You built a roller coaster without guard rails, seat restraints and brakes, and are shocked, shocked to find that the twerpy kid riding on the back has fallen out.  And while the kid is in mid-air falling, everyone is too busy pointing fingers of blame to catch him.

Jeez Joan, for a guy who harps on human agency as much as you do (and rightly so) you sure are using an odd metaphor to describe Greece's actions.

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on March 20, 2013, 03:09:35 PM
Yeah, it's not like country's can ever grow themselves out of problems; they need to consider themselves as a household with one single fixed income and maintain a rigid budget, never going even a cent into debt. 

I would have considered this a joke before...but it looks like my government is systematically unable to responsibly deficit spend or manage debt.  At this point this sounds better than destroying the country through debt and inflation.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 20, 2013, 03:33:03 PM
Jeez Joan, for a guy who harps on human agency as much as you do (and rightly so) you sure are using an odd metaphor to describe Greece's actions.

The agency that I am focused on was the decision to bring Greece into the Euro in 2001, despite everyone knowing they weren't ready.  That decision was made on the understanding that the Greek economy was so small that it wouldn't matter economically and politically it would be a nice thing to do.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 20, 2013, 03:39:05 PM
The agency that I am focused on was the decision to bring Greece into the Euro in 2001, despite everyone knowing they weren't ready.

The agency which you completely ignore is the decision to run deficits of 14% of GDP once they were in the Euro.  No one held a gun to their head.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 20, 2013, 03:42:32 PM
The agency which you completely ignore is the decision to run deficits of 14% of GDP once they were in the Euro.  No one held a gun to their head.

No, no one did.
To the contrary, the rest of the continent fell all over themselves to finance their current account deficits and deal in their securities.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 20, 2013, 03:45:43 PM
No, no one did.
To the contrary, the rest of the continent fell all over themselves to finance their current account deficits and deal in their securities.

And?

Zanza

Quote from: mongers on March 20, 2013, 03:31:31 PM
Quote from: Zanza on March 20, 2013, 03:29:24 PM
Yes. Default, print drachmas.

See, it wasn't too hard.   :P
I just checked and I wrote that two years ago on Paradox already. I can't find similar posts here, but I wonder if they were lost in one of the forum hickups.

Zanza

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 20, 2013, 03:30:26 PM
Quote from: Zanza on March 20, 2013, 03:25:31 PM
No, that's not what we signed up to. It may be what we should have signed up to, but in the end, the monetary union didn't have policies in place for crisis or to handle imbalances.

Right.  You built a roller coaster without guard rails, seat restraints and brakes, and are shocked, shocked to find that the twerpy kid riding on the back has fallen out.  And while the kid is in mid-air falling, everyone is too busy pointing fingers of blame to catch him.
The twerpy kid shouldn't have gotten in then.

derspiess

Sounds like the twerpy kid isn't fit to govern himself.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

In this analogy, the twerpy kid is wearing a suicide vest, and if not caught softly he would blow up the rest of the shitty rollercoaster upon impact.

crazy canuck

The twerpy kid knew the risks when he got on the roller coaster but didnt care.  Problem is no one else seems to have considered the risks.

Zanza

The problem with the analogy is that the the twerpy kid was infact a fully-grown and self-responsible adult when he got into the roller coaster. Sure, some of his friends called for him to jump in, but he could always have joined the dour, no-fun Swede standing at the sidelines.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on March 20, 2013, 04:03:20 PM
In this analogy, the twerpy kid is wearing a suicide vest, and if not caught softly he would blow up the rest of the shitty rollercoaster upon impact.

The issue is whether it might be better to let the ride get demolished and use the space for something better.

MadImmortalMan

Just don't go to the amusement park.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on March 20, 2013, 04:05:01 PM
The problem with the analogy is that the the twerpy kid was infact a fully-grown and self-responsible adult when he got into the roller coaster. Sure, some of his friends called for him to jump in, but he could always have joined the dour, no-fun Swede standing at the sidelines.

That obviously, but what i think is worst about the analogy is that there's aboslutely nothing instrinsic about the roller coaster that makes random riders fall out.

Maybe a roller coaster in which each rider is given the power to release their own safety bar.