News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sovereign debt bubble thread

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 10, 2011, 02:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

If Greece were to run a surplus of 20% of GDP, surely Germany would accept.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 25, 2012, 06:41:33 PM
Yeah, but "Will work" wouldn't accept.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on May 25, 2012, 07:01:39 PM

Of course it would.  Greek debt would decrease.  At some point it would be small enough that Greece could re-enter the market and stop relying on concessionary credit.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 25, 2012, 07:03:26 PM
Quote from: DGuller on May 25, 2012, 07:01:39 PM

Of course it would.  Greek debt would decrease.  At some point it would be small enough that Greece could re-enter the market and stop relying on concessionary credit.
:huh: I don't know if you're playing dumb, or being genuine.

Admiral Yi

Genuine.

The subtext of "will work" of course is if austerity doesn't generate growth quickly, then it's "not working."  Or if austerity makes people really mad then it's 'not working."

Iormlund

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 25, 2012, 07:22:14 PM
The subtext of "will work" of course is if austerity doesn't generate growth quickly, then it's "not working."

Quickly? :lol:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Iormlund on May 25, 2012, 07:43:35 PM
Quickly? :lol:

At all then. [shrugs]

The purpose of austerity is not to generate growth.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 25, 2012, 06:41:33 PM

Greece has been implementing austerity that is too mild for Germany and doesn't even balance the budget. Tax revenues have plummeted. To actually get a surplus that big on more than just paper, government spending would be cut to the point they would have to consider things such as abandoning a western style school system, abolishing the military, replacing the police with community based watch volunteer efforts, etc.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

The Venn diagram is hilarious btw.  :lol:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Neil

Maybe the Greeks should consider abolishing their military.  After all, the only thing that the Greek military is good for is nursing Greek irredentism.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

I wonder if Greece paid the shipping for those 400 free M1 tanks they was offered.

UPS IS GONNA BE PISSED.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on May 25, 2012, 08:22:52 PM
Greece has been implementing austerity that is too mild for Germany and doesn't even balance the budget. Tax revenues have plummeted. To actually get a surplus that big on more than just paper, government spending would be cut to the point they would have to consider things such as abandoning a western style school system, abolishing the military, replacing the police with community based watch volunteer efforts, etc.

There are countries with a fraction of Greece's budget which provide those things.  Cut everyone's wages.  Sell off state owned enterprises.  Collect some taxes.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 25, 2012, 08:33:48 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on May 25, 2012, 08:22:52 PM

There are countries with a fraction of Greece's budget which provide those things.  Cut everyone's wages.  Sell off state owned enterprises.  Collect some taxes.

I just did a search to find government spending as a percent of gdp.

http://anepigone.blogspot.com/2008/03/government-spending-as-percentage-of.html

Obviously I can't vouch at all for the accuracy, but until other data comes in, I'm going to go with it.

I think that Greece has tax revenues in the lower 30% of GDP, lets say they get that to 35% (if I am right on the current tax revenue rate, then to get to 35% will require massive tax increases/improvements in collection, as property taxes and income taxes will plummet with the fall in spending).

To get a 20% of GDP surplus, that mean spending needs to get under 15%. Here is the comprehensive list of countries under that threshold:

157. Cambodia 13.3
158. Bangladesh 12.8
159. Turkmenistan 9.6
160. Afghanistan 9.2

Admiral Yi

You know Fredo, a 20% surplus wasn't really all that serious a proposal.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 25, 2012, 08:54:56 PM
You know Fredo, a 20% surplus wasn't really all that serious a proposal.

Fuck.