Sovereign debt bubble thread

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 10, 2011, 02:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on May 22, 2012, 07:34:44 AM
Quote from: Tamas on May 22, 2012, 07:28:02 AM
Quote from: DGuller on May 22, 2012, 07:25:00 AM
Quote from: Tamas on May 22, 2012, 07:16:44 AM
Yeah, interventionalists don't want to bend reality. NOT ONE BIT!
Not nearly to the same extent, not least of which because their theory actually does have some predictive power as an economic theory, especially during a crisis.

Right. Much good it is doing to us.
The Great Depression has not been renamed the World Depression I yet, has it?  And to the extent that the risk is still there, it is there because of misguided and utterly predictable austerity-led disaster.

That thing ended for good only when the war broke out. We might have the same conclusion this time as well but let's try not to.

And the risk is from the inbalance of direct or implied government intervention, be it artifical credit around, or just the "the government won't let us fail".

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on May 22, 2012, 07:44:39 AM
That thing ended for good only when the war broke out. We might have the same conclusion this time as well but let's try not to.

And the risk is from the inbalance of direct or implied government intervention, be it artifical credit around, or just the "the government won't let us fail".
Sure it is, sure it is.  :rolleyes:

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on May 22, 2012, 08:12:17 AM

Sure it is, sure it is.  :rolleyes:

This debate of ours is much more well done here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTQnarzmTOc

:P

alfred russel

A major difference between the 1930s and today is that there is much more debt today. The US is just a few years away from the debt / GDP ratio at the end of WWII. If that global war were to break out now, we might end up throwing rocks at each other because there won't be money for guns.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Zanza

Quote from: Iormlund on May 22, 2012, 06:53:09 AMYes. But you have to keep in mind that just German TARGET2 claims are already over half a trillion € and growing.
I found what Sheilbh posted a few pages ago on how it doesn't matter compelling.

Zanza

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 22, 2012, 06:32:00 AM
On the Euro-crisis apparently there's some hope before the summit (as usual), but from what I can see Hollande's proposal of Eurobonds have been shot down by three separate senior German figures and were called a 'nonsense proposal' by Austria's Finance Minister (who does she think she is? <_<) and Germany's opposing allowing the EFSF or ESM to recapitalise banks.  On the upside it looks like a deal's being agreed on project bonds - which I think'll be a disaster and are the worst of the proposals floating around, but hey-ho.
Hasn't Germany said that for several years now? Why should our position change just because France gets a new government?  :huh:

Sheilbh

Hope springs eternal.

Edit:  More practically the German government's style all through this crisis has been to be unyielding right until the point when everything'll fall apart and damage is already done, at which point they agree to an unsatisfactory compromise that doesn't resolve things but delays the next crisis.  I hope the anti-Eurobond position might go the same way as the anti-inflation, the anti-bailout and the anti-haircut position.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 21, 2012, 11:52:56 PM
Well so far the bailouts of Greece, Ireland and Portugal have hit around €400 billion.

That's 400 billion in credit.  The bazooka is a gift.  Alms.  Charity.  A handout.  Free money.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 22, 2012, 02:54:50 AM
But politics generally isn't Keynesian.  That's why, in response to the crash, there was talk about the 'return of Keynes'.  His wasn't the dominant economic school of the last 30 years.

Clinton ran a small surplus for 2 years.  Other than that it's been consistent deficit spending.  Europe too AFAIK.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 22, 2012, 10:02:47 AM
But politics generally isn't Keynesian.  That's why, in response to the crash, there was talk about the 'return of Keynes'.  His wasn't the dominant economic school of the last 30 years.

Clinton ran a small surplus for 2 years.  Other than that it's been consistent deficit spending.  Europe too AFAIK.
The more I think about it, the more I think that the concept of budget surplus/deficit is unhelpful for anything except a talking point.  Yes, it's simple, as long as you have the skill and experience to tell a negative number from a positive one, but it doesn't seem that useful. 

It seems like the real neutral point, or at least the approximation of one, where one side is good, and the other side is not good, is the point where debt/GDP change is zero.  The point where actual debt change is zero is overly conservative, and only makes sense in a zero growth environment.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on May 22, 2012, 10:20:18 AM
The point where actual debt change is zero is overly conservative, and only makes sense in a zero growth environment.

The problem with this thinking is you end up either reducing deficit spending in recessionary times, which exacerbates rather than counteracts the business cycle, or you end up running small deficits in good times and larger ones in bad times.  Repeat the second enough times and you run out of credit.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 22, 2012, 09:58:45 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 21, 2012, 11:52:56 PM
Well so far the bailouts of Greece, Ireland and Portugal have hit around €400 billion.

That's 400 billion in credit.  The bazooka is a gift.  Alms.  Charity.  A handout.  Free money.
That's assuming it works out and the overall costs of, say, a disorderly exit don't cost a lot more.  I'm doubtful.

But  I think the Eurozone's overemphasised moral hazard at the expense of confidence.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 22, 2012, 10:38:11 AM
That's assuming it works out and the overall costs of, say, a disorderly exit don't cost a lot more.  I'm doubtful.

But  I think the Eurozone's overemphasised moral hazard at the expense of confidence.

Talk to Joan, it's his bazooka.  After it's fired, everyone lives happily ever after.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 22, 2012, 10:02:47 AM

So?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017