And we're back!

Main Menu

Sovereign debt bubble thread

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 10, 2011, 02:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 15, 2012, 12:08:18 PM
Hollande's plane was hit by lightening while on the way to Berlin for a meeting with Merkel :o

He's now returned to Paris and got on a second plane, but still :o

The Lord is speaking to Europe.  :pope:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 15, 2012, 01:04:19 PM
Hollande's plane was hit by lightening while on the way to Berlin for a meeting with Merkel :o

He's now returned to Paris and got on a second plane, but still :o

The Lord is speaking to Europe.  :pope:

It is a lightening strike to save Greece: this is the work of Zeus.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Duque de Bragança

Coup de foudre :wub: between Hollande and Merkel!  :D

alfred russel

So things are falling apart again. Time for another emergency summit to save things. This should be interesting as it is Mr. Hollande's debut but also because there isn't a government in Greece that can agree to a bunch of nonsense that won't happen in order to be rescued.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Ed Anger

Read the scary headlines of a bank run in Greece underway. Actually read the story and they don't know what time period it encompasses. THANKS DRUDGE.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 15, 2012, 05:21:52 PM
Read the scary headlines of a bank run in Greece underway. Actually read the story and they don't know what time period it encompasses. THANKS DRUDGE.

Lots of those rumors going around the twitter machine this morning. Pics of lines at ATMs and stuff.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

PJL

Apparently some 1.5 billion euros have been withdrawn from Greek banks in the last ten days. So if this keeps up, then I guess another 5 billon euros will be withdraw by the next Greek election.

Ed Anger

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 15, 2012, 05:51:37 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 15, 2012, 05:21:52 PM

Lots of those rumors going around the twitter machine this morning. Pics of lines at ATMs and stuff.

I need to git one of those thar titter machines.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Quote from: alfred russel on May 15, 2012, 05:15:44 PMSo things are falling apart again. Time for another emergency summit to save things. This should be interesting as it is Mr. Hollande's debut but also because there isn't a government in Greece that can agree to a bunch of nonsense that won't happen in order to be rescued.
The EU always has this many summits.  They've just started assuming emergency proportions.  Until the Eurocrisis most summits would involve very little of significance plus a (failed) push to reform CAP/British rebate/structural funds :lol:

It is interesting though.  The Eurozone seems to be really struggling with Greece - not because they lack a government but because an elected government that rejects the bailout is about as good an example as you could get of the tension between democracy and the Euro.  It'll be even more striking if, knowing the risks the Greeks, as polls suggest they will, elect an even more strongly anti-austerity Parliament. 

QuoteApparently some 1.5 billion euros have been withdrawn from Greek banks in the last ten days. So if this keeps up, then I guess another 5 billon euros will be withdraw by the next Greek election.
If Greece exits, unless there's some strong plans in place then we'll that but in Spain or Italy :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

If I lived in one of those countries, there is no way I would hold any significant money in a Greek, Spanish, Italian, or Portuguese bank right now. The best thing about dragging this out for so long is people should have had time to prepare if it comes to that.

Neil

Quote from: alfred russel on May 15, 2012, 07:34:26 PM
If I lived in one of those countries, there is no way I would hold any significant money in a Greek, Spanish, Italian, or Portuguese bank right now. The best thing about dragging this out for so long is people should have had time to prepare if it comes to that.
I'm sure the governments would figure out a way to steal the money.  Theft is what the Southern Europeans excel at.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Habsburg

Quote from: alfred russel on May 15, 2012, 07:34:26 PM

It doesn't appear, in a large way, they have yet.

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 15, 2012, 06:49:05 PM
as good an example as you could get of the tension between democracy and the Euro.

Or rather, a good example of the tension between a country's long term interests, and elected politicans' short term interests

Syt

Quote from: PJL on May 15, 2012, 06:06:16 PM
Apparently some 1.5 billion euros have been withdrawn from Greek banks in the last ten days. So if this keeps up, then I guess another 5 billon euros will be withdraw by the next Greek election.

Austrian ORF quotes the Greek Central Bank that on Monday alone Greeks withdrew € 700,000,000 from the banks.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.