News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sovereign debt bubble thread

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 10, 2011, 02:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 19, 2011, 06:47:42 PM
I don't see why.
Greece defaults, dominos fall and take out the other nations teetering on the brink.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 19, 2011, 06:53:25 PM
Greece defaults, dominos fall and take out the other nations teetering on the brink.

Go on.

Razgovory

Never have been keen on theories based on dominoes.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

I can see a domino effect happening in the PIIGS, I just don't see how you get from serial default to the end of the Euro.

One advantage of an independent currency that's often mentioned for highly indebted currency is the ability to inflate yourself out of indebtedness.  But if you default, you have no indebtedness to inflate away.

It's theoretically possible that some countries will view the ECB's German style tight money policies as not appropriate for their domestic situations and choose to leave, but that's a seperate issue than defaulting.

And even if some countries were to exit the Euro, there would be probably still be a number that saw it as advantageous to remain.

Sheilbh

I don't think a Greek default would have that big an impact as to collapse the Euro.  A Greek (and possibly an Irish) default are known unknowns and I think expected.  From what I can tell the City have been saying it's inevitable for a very long time.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Read in the FT that Italy got downgraded too.  From A+ to A IIRC.

MadImmortalMan

Things finally starting to look up - had a great day in the market today. Huge ramp into the close. So guess what?

http://www.businessinsider.com/moodys-downgrades-italy-by-3-notches-2011-10

If you guessed "Europe pops up to ruin everything once again", you win.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 04, 2011, 03:43:28 PM
Things finally starting to look up - had a great day in the market today. Huge ramp into the close. So guess what?

Guess Moody didn't like Amanda Knox.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zanza

Quote from: Razgovory on October 04, 2011, 03:45:08 PM

Guess Moody didn't like Amanda Knox.
Google News certainly can't tell the two "Italy" stories apart and groups them together.  :huh:

Sheilbh

I think they also downgraded seven Hungarian banks :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive