News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hungarian Politics

Started by Tamas, March 09, 2011, 01:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on April 30, 2015, 07:43:14 AM
Its far from all of us, really, and your country is the one who elected the Potato Twins, so have no room to talk.

What is far?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on April 30, 2015, 08:11:27 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 30, 2015, 07:43:14 AM
Its far from all of us, really, and your country is the one who elected the Potato Twins, so have no room to talk.

What is far?

Well, if I remember correctly, the undecided/nonvoting part of the population is around 40%, more than the Fidesz and Jobbik supporters combined. Now these are not all modern liberal westerners obviously, but the main issue in Hungary is apathy, not that we are a nation of Martinuses.

Martinus

We do happen to be one of the fastest growing and successful countries in New Europe. Hungary seems like a loser country.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 30, 2015, 02:23:40 PM
New Europe

Glad to see there was something Europeans liked about the Bush administration.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ed Anger

A Polack talking smack. Hilarious.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 01, 2015, 08:06:55 AM
A Polack talking smack. Hilarious.

Lets see how they handle the jump from Division II to Division I.

Syt

Well, Orban appeared in front of the EU parliament. He defended putting the death penalty on the agenda. He said (and I'm quoting this from Austrian sources) that Hungary would not have dictated by Brussels what they can talk about and what not. Also, that the EU treaties are not divine law but made by men and could be changed by men.

He went on to decry EU immigration policy and proposed quotas as insane. He argued that the 2008 had proven that the time of liberal democracies is over. He demands Europe for Europeans and Hungary for Hungarians, asking the EU to allow him to protect his country from the hordes of foreigners pouring in.

If he suggest building a wall around Hungary I'm starting to warm to the idea.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

It sounds like his strategy is that instead of working to exit the EU, he is goading/daring them to boot Hungary out. 

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on May 19, 2015, 03:44:40 PM
He argued that the 2008 had proven that the time of liberal democracies is over.

Well that's a bummer.

QuoteHe demands Europe for Europeans and Hungary for Hungarians, asking the EU to allow him to protect his country from the hordes of foreigners pouring in

Immigrants going TO Hungary? Ok now he is just taking the joke too far.

Tamas

:lol:

Well yes. As I explained, immigrants are a non issue. There's like a thousand of them in a few camps, which are financed by the EU BTW. There was 64 of them who got the permission to stay and settle legally the whole last year, so its not like we are lenient on them presently or anything.

Its basically what happened with the Tories and UKIP I guess. Once feeling threatened by UKIP, the Tories went closer to the far right. Fidesz is trying the same regarding Jobbik, except that Jobbik being pretty far out there, and Fidesz not too far behind to begin with, they need to sink this low to make a difference.

Still it is working marvelously though. Utter bullcrap like this takes front page about the country on both sides of the border, while the cronies continue to steal staggering amount of tax and EU money weekly.

On the other hand, Orban's various outbursts/public philosophing about the merits of autocracy has been increasing in frequency, we are up to like one every two months instead of one per annum, so who knows whats the real agenda here.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on April 30, 2015, 07:22:38 AM
I find it interesting that he keeps raging against immigrants, when Hungary is one of the countries with the lowest %-ages of foreign citizens living within the country.
Then again, the anti-immigrant Pegida protests in Germany were strongest in Dresden which has one of the lowest foreign populations in Germany.

Interesting map, but then foreign citizens, foreign-born and second or even third-generation immigrants are separate categories. 5.9 % for France is deceiving. So, careful with interpretations.

garbon

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 21, 2015, 07:43:04 AM
I find it interesting that he keeps raging against immigrants, when Hungary is one of the countries with the lowest %-ages of foreign citizens living within the country.
Then again, the anti-immigrant Pegida protests in Germany were strongest in Dresden which has one of the lowest foreign populations in Germany.

Interesting map, but then foreign citizens, foreign-born and second or even third-generation immigrants are separate categories. 5.9 % for France is deceiving. So, careful with interpretations.

Sure but then those wouldn't be non-citizens. :mellow:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: garbon on May 21, 2015, 07:57:18 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 21, 2015, 07:43:04 AM

Sure but then those wouldn't be non-citizens. :mellow:

Foreign citizens include EU citizens, yet they should not since the Maastricht treaty and the "European Citizenship" notion. Of course, some countries like the UK seem to have a problem with EU citizens as well and not just gypsies... Too vague to be really informative. The EU 27 indicator is more interesting but includes Romania and Bulgaria with their massive gypsy populations. Close, but not cigar.

edit: Map also includes Turkey. :lol: Great apples and oranges comparison.

Tamas

Well when you have people considering 3rd generation "immigrants" as non-citizens you know Europe is fucked.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on May 21, 2015, 08:11:09 AM
Well when you have people considering 3rd generation "immigrants" as non-citizens you know Europe is fucked.

More like Europe is Europe.