Hungarians:

Genetically related to them:

Genetically NOT related to them:

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on April 01, 2015, 06:37:11 AM
Quote from: The Larch on March 27, 2015, 05:01:16 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 27, 2015, 01:16:33 PM
Huh? Why?

Lots of countries with little relation to the Pacific are observers there, like India, Morocco, Israel, Switzerland...several EU members are also observers as well, Spain, Portugal, UK, Italy, Netherlands. Guess it's not an unusual thing in international organizations.

I think you are mistaking it with that big pacific alliance thingie. This is a kind of trade cooperation thingie for some south american countries.

Nope, I got the info from the very same wiki article you linked.  :P

PJL

To be fair, you could argue they're related to both. Though they're genetically more European than Asiatic these days.

Tamas

Quote from: PJL on April 01, 2015, 07:11:47 AM
To be fair, you could argue they're related to both. Though they're genetically more European than Asiatic these days.

Well there is no evidence we ever went anywhere but SW of the Urals. Still, probably Hungarians of 1500 years ago looked very much like the Kazahs of today. That's long gone though. "Hungarian" has been a cultural and not genetical identity for centuries now, as we have become a nice mix of our original heritage, plus Slavs and Germans. :contract:

Tamas

Also Orban "cannot wait to see Hungary and Kazakhstan unite in a big union stretching from Lisbon to Vladivostok".

KRonn

Quote from: Tamas on April 01, 2015, 07:57:03 AM
Also Orban "cannot wait to see Hungary and Kazakhstan unite in a big union stretching from Lisbon to Vladivostok".

Heh, that's already been tried and failed, was called the Soviet Union and they only had the eastern part of that territory.     ;)

Syt

Quote from: KRonn on April 01, 2015, 08:41:42 AM

Heh, that's already been tried and failed, was called the Soviet Union and they only had the eastern part of that territory.     ;)

Oh, a political advisor close to Putin keeps dreaming of this idea.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Orban to Kazah dictator: "we have followed your decision to enter the election race, and we believe you are serving your country's stability with that".

The guy has been winning 90% of the "votes" since 1990...

Tamas

Also, paging local drug experts, is Orban on meds or what?

The Brain

He wants to get rubed on the bitch?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

KRonn

Quote from: Tamas on April 01, 2015, 10:57:48 AM
Orban to Kazah dictator: "we have followed your decision to enter the election race, and we believe you are serving your country's stability with that".

The guy has been winning 90% of the "votes" since 1990...

Sounds like an old Soviet style election, or a new Russian style.   :hmm:

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on April 01, 2015, 06:45:52 AM
:

Kazak chick is kinda hot.  Judging by the picture though, she might be taken.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Huh. He wants Russia and Kazakhstan to join the EU? I thought he hated Unions and all that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

I wanted to write a post explaining how almost 1 million euros officially meant to help integrating the Roma has basically either been spent on things like office buildings and stuff or just flat out disappeared, thanks to the organisation lead by Florian Farkas, main gypsy of Fidesz.

But nobody cares.

Least of all the Hungarian tax authority, who declared that it is perfectly fine to take one million euros for one given purpose, and then never spend a cent of it on that actual purpose.

This is the same tax authority that started investigations into civil organisations because they had 20-30 euros worth of questionable spending as running costs.

KRonn

Same thing happens in the US. Taxes will be created, collected and "ear-marked" for something, but wind up getting spent elsewhere and not much is often said about it.