Main Menu

Hungarian Politics

Started by Tamas, March 09, 2011, 01:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Tamas

Tamas

Well folks, this is how you make money:

In 2013, the government started issuing a bond, where the buyer would get a Hungarian visa, followed by a green card. One bond costs 250 000 euros, and basically buys you Hungarian citizenship, which of course also means EU citizenship.

However, these bonds are sold by 7 pre-selected private companies acting as middlemen (the countries of the world are divided between them, so there is no competition whatsoever). The companies buy one bond (again, nominal value 250k) for 221 000 euros. Then they of course sell it to the client for 250 000 euros, plus administrative fees which in the case of one company where they could get info from is 45k euros.

So, taxpayers get 221k, and pay out 250k plus interest, plus the privilege of having Hungarian-passport wielding Russian and Chinese gangsters (the two countries where this bond is most popular at), while the pre-selected private companies earn around 75-80k profit on the whole thing, for doing the same paperwork as, say, a clerk in the post office does (as you can buy certain bonds in the post office).

This law was pressed by Antal Rogan, leader of the Fidesz fraction, and he himself selected the 7 companies as well.

Rogan, BTW, might become the first victim of the serious Fidesz in-fighting which has been reported over recent months, as basically there are new evidences of all kinds of corruption related to him are leaked to the press every week. I mean, most of those leaks should be public info to begin with according to the laws, but its Hungary we are talking about, so they have to be leaked to become visible.

celedhring

Our ruling party is running a "buy a house in Spain, get a residence permit!" scheme that's very popular in Russia and China, too.

The Larch

Other EU countries have similar schemes, I believe it was Malta the one that set the lowest threshold to get its nationality.

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on January 29, 2015, 05:28:33 AM
Our ruling party is running a "buy a house in Spain, get a residence permit!" scheme that's very popular in Russia and China, too.

It seems noone wants to live in countries with reppressive protest gag laws. I wonder if there is a correlation.  :hmm:

Jacob

Quote from: Tamas on January 29, 2015, 04:54:28 AMThis law was pressed by Antal Rogan, leader of the Fidesz fraction, and he himself selected the 7 companies as well.

Rogan?

Tamas

Merkel's face today in Budapest when Orban explained that liberal democracy is not the only kind of democracy. (her look left at the end).

http://coub.com/view/4utd7

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 02, 2015, 09:23:18 AM
Quote from: Tamas on January 26, 2015, 04:03:37 PM

What's going on there?!

That was PM Orban being dragged off stage by the main EU guy whose name I forgot. And then it turned into gifs by people.  :D

Tamas

Grey Fox

Why did MainmanEurope drag Orban offstage?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 02, 2015, 10:21:25 AM
Why did MainmanEurope drag Orban offstage?

Who knows. :D But Orban was the only one besides Cameron who opposed the election of this guy. Plus he (Orban) is a mumbling idiot in constant stagefright when he is out of his environment of loyal lackies.

Tamas

Shit is hitting the fan!

Until fairly recently, the other de facto leader of Fidesz (ruling party) was Orban's high school friend Simicska, who were the business end of things in their operation: he received all the state contracts he could, in exchange he financed the party and used his money to build a private media empire supporting the party.

This has been changing gradually, as Orban tried to build financial and media support directly loyal to him. Rumours of conflict has been going around. Then it got all haywire yesterday.

First, Simicska gave an interview to an opposition newspaper (he NEVER talked to the press in the past) voicing disappointment over the extension of the punitive media taxes on his enterprises.

This morning, the directors of his media companies (one TV, one radio, one newspaper) resigned in one common open letter.

This got the guy in a frenzy. :D He has been on the phone to various media outlets, in rage. eg. he repeatedly called Orban a cunt.  :lol:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.