News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hungarian Politics

Started by Tamas, March 09, 2011, 01:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 02, 2015, 07:21:06 PM
He's not editorializing, he's reporting fact.  Unless he's been caught out in a lie before, I don't see the grounds for calling Tamas a liar.

And as he said, whether the government is spending money on footie stadiums or not is something that is easy to verify.

You must be bored.

Admiral Yi

Jacob

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on December 08, 2014, 07:47:38 PM
:huh:

What would be the point of spending money in that fashion?

I agree it's wasteful, but I approve of the invasiveness.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on December 08, 2014, 07:47:38 PM
:huh:

What would be the point of spending money in that fashion?

That proposition came up in the weeks when fidesz was simply desperate to steer public discourse away from their numerous obvious criminal (as in, should be criminal but there are no investigations obviously) corruption cases. Eg. They have proposed and introduced mandatory closing of shops on Sunday in short orderout of the blue, probably driven by the same PR desire.

Tamas

I think we might see another step in Putinisation in a month or so.

There is constant talk from FIDESZ about discussing, on the start of February government meeting, the "Country Protection Action Plan". What is that exactly is hard to grasp at the moment, but there are 3 areas mentioned so far:

-making sure the financial background of the opposition protests are public to "avoid secret foreign influence"
-expanding the rights of TEK, the police special forces pretty much under Orban's personal command - because of the Paris massacre, of course
-introducing measures "similar to the Patriot Act of the US", extending rights in monitoring people to protect us from immigrant threat.

Funniest thing of course that apart from a few poor wartime refugees held up in camps, we have absolutely ZERO immigrant issues, their effect on the economy is non-existent because none of them is stupid enough to try and stay here, when they are already within the EU and can migrate westward to functional countries.

Syt

As posted in the Paris shooting thread:

http://news.yahoo.com/hungary-pm-orban-says-immigration-threat-must-stopped-083257199.html

QuoteHungary PM Orban says immigration a threat, must be stopped

BUDAPEST (Reuters) - Immigration to Europe should be largely halted, Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban said late on Sunday, demanding a robust EU response to last week's killings in France.

Orban was speaking after attending a mass rally in Paris to pay tribute to 17 people killed in attacks launched by a trio of Islamist extremists, who were born in France to immigrant families.

The deadly attacks look certain to bolster anti-immigration movements around Europe, and Orban, who has called for migration curbs in the past, said it was time for Brussels to get tough.

"We should not look at economic immigration as if it had any use, because it only brings trouble and threats to European people," he told state television. "Therefore, immigration must be stopped. That's the Hungarian stance."

The only exception, he said, should be for people claiming political asylum.

"Hungary will not become a target destination for immigrants," he said. "We will not allow it, at least as long as I am prime minister and as long as this government is in power."

Orban's right-wing government was elected for a second consecutive term last year. The prime minister said minorities living in Hungary, which has a population of some 10 million, posed no particular problem.

"We do not want to see a significant minority among ourselves that has different cultural characteristics and background. We would like to keep Hungary as Hungary," he added.

According to the national statistics office (KSH), some 350,000 Hungarians live and worked abroad, most of them in Germany, Britain and Austria.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Yeah, its crazy. Hungary has some small issues of having locked up refugees, but there is NO "muslim issue" as in terms of muslim minority part of the population and having radicals among them. AT ALL.

Martinus

QuoteWe would like to keep Hungary as Hungary

:zipped:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tamas on January 12, 2015, 05:49:07 AM
Yeah, its crazy. Hungary has some small issues of having locked up refugees, but there is NO "muslim issue" as in terms of muslim minority part of the population and having radicals among them. AT ALL.

I also like the part with "minorities posing no particular problems". So everything is fine with gypsies now all of a sudden? It's not like Hungary is the only country having trouble with gypsies.

garbon

Duque, truly is vile, no? Perhaps it is all that champagne and too little sparkling wine. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas