News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hungarian Politics

Started by Tamas, March 09, 2011, 01:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

It is scary that the police officer's comment of "there's been this new law" to me indicates that they and probably most people are perfectly obvious of the blatantly obvious, i.e. in which direction that particular law is leading the country. Needless to say even that disgusting law has nothing in it that would prevent people from showcasing bloody rainbow colours. But homosexuals and transgendered people have had a target painted on them and I don't think it's going to get any better anytime soon.

It's far less grim, more like ridiculous in a sad way, I saw this infamous law in action the first time yesterday. A couple of online news sites reported that the daily TV series of RTL Klub, the last remaining independent TV channel (think Coronation Street just in a Hungarian context), is going to feature two ladies kissing in an upcoming episode, thus in effect challenging the law.

Now, because of the new law, these sites had to put their articles behind an "are you 18 or over" confirmation page, because as illustration they used the screenshot from the episode's trailer, i.e a photo of two (fully clothed) women kissing each other on the mouth. :bleeding:

EDIT: here you go, found the pic for you. HIDE YOUR KIDS

Tamas

Probably motivated in part by the Pegasus scandal, Orban is doubling down on the whole anti-gay thing, he has announced a new "child protection" national referendum, with 5 so-called questions:

1. Do you support that in public educational institutions, minors (under 18s) be educated in sexual orientations without their parents approval?

2. Do you support that gender change surgeries be popularised for minors?

3. Do you support that gender change surgery be available for minors?

4. Do you support that minors be shown, without restrictions, media content aimed at influencing their sexual orientation?

5. Do you support that minors be shown media content displaying changes of gender?

:x

Sheilbh

Orban meeting with Tucker Carlson ahead for an upcoming interview which I'm sure will be a delight :ph34r: :bleeding:

I think there's an entire book on how Orban is arguably the most influential politician since 2010. In Europe he's key as a model for Salvini, Duda etc and in shaping immigration policy (I often think about his line - I think a couple of years ago - that in 2015 when he suggested the "externalisation" of Europe's border, he was alone but now everyone is with him). And in the English speaking world I think he's been key as a model of culture warring illiberal democracy (especially in the sort of Rod Dreher, Sohrab, Ahmari - "National Conservatism" bit of American politics) and as a model on social conservatism - the number of times I read otherwise sane conservatives suddenly swerving into how wonderful Orban's "pro-family" policies are.

All of which is a hell of an impact from a country of ten million in CEE.

Edit: And that it's Carlson is striking. I can definitely see him running as an Orban style "national conservative", "pro-family" Republican - and I can see that working, not least because Carlson is smarter than Trump.

Edit: Apparently Carlson's going to be in Hungary for a week:

And I've seen on the sort of "common good" right this sort of defence - that Hungary is a model because it's a country that doesn't hate itself, supports its families knows Christianity and European/Hungarian identity are inseparable.

We all said imagine a demagogue who was cleverer and more competent than Trump - I think Carlson is out there trying to show them that route (and may even be that demagogue).
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

I look forward to Tucker going after Orban for his attacks on free speech, his corruption, and cowardly selling out to the ChiComs.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

A good spot for Carlson to get some Russian money and input as well.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Is driving away most of your young people really a good pro-family policy? It seems likely to reduce the number of families.

A tiny fertility rate and a rapidly aging and shrinking population, obvious evidence of prospering families. Way to go Tucker.

On the other hand a shrinking economy and population is good for reducing carbon emissions. Maybe green parties around the world should be studying his policies.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Sheilbh

Also despite social conservatives love of Hungary's pro-family policies turning around demographic catastrophe etc etc - I'm not sure it's a unique Orbanist achievement :hmm:

Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Interestingly glossy magazine now for sale in UK newsagents:

I believe there's also the Hungarian Review. Plenty of money for some Anglo-American writers as well as lots of CEE writers, and a clearly developed distribution network if it's in WH Smiths in train stations :hmm:

It seems to be funded by the Danube Institute - details here:
https://hungarianspectrum.org/tag/batthyany-foundation/
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

What is up with the trees? Is it the Hungarian Conservationist? Or is it showing its support for the NIMBY ways of the Lib Dems?

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 06, 2021, 01:07:56 PM
Also despite social conservatives love of Hungary's pro-family policies turning around demographic catastrophe etc etc - I'm not sure it's a unique Orbanist achievement :hmm:

Well there is also the fact that Orban's looting the pension plan policies make young people move to other countries. That probably won't turn around a demographic catastrophe.

celedhring

Our fertility rate is 1.18  :lol: <_<

viper37

Quote from: Tamas on July 16, 2021, 01:29:37 PM
It is scary that the police officer's comment of "there's been this new law" to me indicates that they and probably most people are perfectly obvious of the blatantly obvious, i.e. in which direction that particular law is leading the country. Needless to say even that disgusting law has nothing in it that would prevent people from showcasing bloody rainbow colours. But homosexuals and transgendered people have had a target painted on them and I don't think it's going to get any better anytime soon.

It's far less grim, more like ridiculous in a sad way, I saw this infamous law in action the first time yesterday. A couple of online news sites reported that the daily TV series of RTL Klub, the last remaining independent TV channel (think Coronation Street just in a Hungarian context), is going to feature two ladies kissing in an upcoming episode, thus in effect challenging the law.

Now, because of the new law, these sites had to put their articles behind an "are you 18 or over" confirmation page, because as illustration they used the screenshot from the episode's trailer, i.e a photo of two (fully clothed) women kissing each other on the mouth. :bleeding:

EDIT: here you go, found the pic for you. HIDE YOUR KIDS

can't have young girls influenced by such obvious gay propaganda, obviously.  <sigh>  such stupidity, sometimes.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.