News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hungarian Politics

Started by Tamas, March 09, 2011, 01:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

I'm reading that Orban is meeting tomorrow with Salvini and Morawiecki in Budapest to create HYDRA some kind of new European ultraconservative alliance.

I find it very adequate that this new alliance is created on April Fool's. Although as a joke they probably won't be too funny.

https://euobserver.com/democracy/151408

Duque de Bragança

https://www.lefigaro.fr/international/un-habsbourg-ambassadeur-de-hongrie-en-france-20210402

New Hungarian ambassador in France is called Georg Habsburg-Lothringen.
In Hungarian, Habsburg-Lotaringiai György. Dual Austro-Hungarian citizenship, son of Otto von Habsburg, so grand-son of the last Austro-Hungarian monarch.  :hmm:

I don't think he is a danger to Orban and being sent to Paris as an ambassador is not exile. Does he have some influence on the Hungarian political life?

Valmy

Sending a Habsburg to Paris to secure a French alliance? That always goes well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Interesting Hungarian policy that I think might actually be pretty smart - especially in the context of a pandemic. Any vaccine that is given to 1 million plus people in the world is going to be authorised in Hungary :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on April 03, 2021, 11:23:55 AM

Hungarian rebels, the Kuruc, were supported by Louis XIV though.  :P

Solmyr

Quote from: Valmy on April 03, 2021, 11:23:55 AM

Can he be: Austro-Hungarian Empire?

Tamas

The Habsburgs managed to weasel themselves in to meaningless positions since the 90s IIRC.

I am assuming with the current lot this guy can offer some connections to the inbred old aristocracy.

Solmyr

Quote from: Tamas on April 04, 2021, 03:10:25 AM
The Habsburgs managed to weasel themselves in to meaningless positions since the 90s IIRC.

I am assuming with the current lot this guy can offer some connections to the inbred old aristocracy.

His elder brother seems to be very pro-EU and pan-European, same with their late father, so it's a bit weird that he is involved with Orban's regime.

Tamas

Beggars can't be choosers.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Solmyr on April 04, 2021, 03:13:53 AM
His elder brother seems to be very pro-EU and pan-European, same with their late father, so it's a bit weird that he is involved with Orban's regime.
But I think they're also very keen on Europe as a Christian civilisation and the EU as a civilisational project which aligns pretty well with Orban.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

China is financing the construction of a large new Fudan University campus in Hungary. It feels weirdly appropriate that after chasing out the CEU, Orban will now be welcoming, I belive, the first campus of a Chinese public university in Europe.

That's not necessarily a bad thing in itself. It just feels like there can be space for the CEU and Fudan, but if there's no space for the CEU but there is for Fudan that's slightly telling.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 06, 2021, 05:57:41 AM
China is financing the construction of a large new Fudan University campus in Hungary. It feels weirdly appropriate that after chasing out the CEU, Orban will now be welcoming, I belive, the first campus of a Chinese public university in Europe.

That's not necessarily a bad thing in itself. It just feels like there can be space for the CEU and Fudan, but if there's no space for the CEU but there is for Fudan that's slightly telling.

I posted about this around 5 pages back. :P

Yes it feels like a great addition to what he is building

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on April 06, 2021, 06:48:11 AM
I posted about this around 5 pages back. :P
:lol: I think I even commented about 5 pages back :ph34r: :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

"JOURNALIST PROVOKES WITH QUESTIONS"

The state TV news show made a feature around reviewing the email questions received by one of the prominent MEPs from an Austrian journalist ladies regarding the (apparenty failed) Polish-Italian-Hungarian populist alliance meeting Orban organised recently.

As always, they painstakingly kept to their official policy of neutrality and reporting without commenting, with ingenious lines such as "the first question was, why nobody was invited from the French Rassemblent National or the Austrian FPO. First of all, only amateur journalists ask a question on why somebody who was never meant to be there was not there. But, the aim is clear: to wash together those two organisations, labelled as right-wing by the Western mainstream media, with the forming alliance"

etc etc

Tamas

Also, far more sinister: it seems like the government and their media is ramping up a campaign on blaming the terrible pandemic situation on the "anti-vaccination" opposition i.e. at all the opposition parties. With lines like "they agitated against the Eastern vaccines and it has cost lives".

Needless to say none of them are against vaccinations, they even have been quite careful not to criticise the Chinese vaccine stuff. Last week, the various opposition party leaders released a video made in cooperation where they all urge people to go and get vaccinated.

But of course the government media (literally everything apart from one national TV channel and a few online sites with a few ten thousand readers/viewers) will not mention that.