News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hungarian Politics

Started by Tamas, March 09, 2011, 01:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on March 05, 2021, 01:31:07 PM
Meh, the politicians will be pardoned soon without need for the EU to put us in the doghouse. All in all they will have served 3 years. And while we may argue about the severity of the sentences, what they did was very hardly beyond reproach from the courts.

And at least they were consistent with laws and not some arbitrary nonsense. Maybe those laws are not consistent with EU values, whatever those might be, though.

LOOK AT HOW THEY ARE HORRIBLY VICTIMIZING POOR ORBAN BY DOING NOTHING AT ALL WHILE DOING NOTHING AT ALL ABOUT SPAIN!!!111

Seems consistent to me. You can do whatever.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

And the government has announced it intends to reform those laws.

Sheilbh

I'm pretty uncomfortable with laws that make elected politicians criminals for political acts. If they're actually planting bombs/breaking general laws then fine, but otherwise it seems very dodgy to me. And I think it's difficult to draw lines about why it's okay in Spain but not, for example, in a more authoritarian state like Hungary.

But we may soon see what the UK position on that is anyway - which is exciting :bleeding: :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on March 05, 2021, 01:34:42 PM

See Crazy Ivan? EU non-pressure works.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 05, 2021, 01:25:30 PM

And I worry it might take quite a dark turn after Merkel leaves because I think there's several leaders in Europe now - Orban, Macron, Kurz, Duda - who are talking in sort of civilisational rather than value terms about Europe. Obviously there's loads of things that might change that.

For Macron chillax, it's just talk; previously he said there was not a French culture so I would take whatever he spouts with a huge grain of salt.

Valmy

Really? So what does the Ministère de la Culture do these days?

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 05, 2021, 01:34:55 PM
I'm pretty uncomfortable with laws that make elected politicians criminals for political acts. If they're actually planting bombs/breaking general laws then fine, but otherwise it seems very dodgy to me. And I think it's difficult to draw lines about why it's okay in Spain but not, for example, in a more authoritarian state like Hungary.

But we may soon see what the UK position on that is anyway - which is exciting :bleeding: :lol:

Just the misuse of public monies to fund the referendum carries a harsher sentence than the 3 years they will end up serving. Do we absolve them of everything just because somehow what they did was "political" (whatever that means).

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on March 05, 2021, 01:36:08 PM
Quote from: celedhring on March 05, 2021, 01:34:42 PM

See Crazy Ivan? EU non-pressure works.

Gotta say I'm skeptical they will find the votes, since they are a minority government and consensus will be difficult. But they have indeed been very open that they want to push a reform forward.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on March 05, 2021, 01:39:16 PM
Just the misuse of public monies to fund the referendum carries a harsher sentence than the 3 years they will end up serving. Do we absolve them of everything just because somehow what they did was "political" (whatever that means).
But it's a misuse because the referendum's illegal, right? That's my issue it's different than funneling contracts to your mates.

And you know it could apply in other states for the misuse of public money by politicians to NGOs that promot civil society or that help illegal migrants or LGBT rights.

I've no idea what the approach would be in the UK it just seems to me a bit anti-democratic and risky. I'd be very uncomfortable (and probably protesting against) any SNP politicians if they did an unlawful referendum or a UDI. I mean Martin McGuinness and Gerry Adams were MPs at one point.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on March 05, 2021, 01:38:13 PM

Not much. Culture is mostly under lockdown
They keep repeating to the Culture sector people to be patient, for better times will come.

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 05, 2021, 01:51:52 PM
Quote from: celedhring on March 05, 2021, 01:39:16 PM
But it's a misuse because the referendum's illegal, right? That's my issue it's different than funneling contracts to your mates.

And you know it could apply in other states for the misuse of public money by politicians to NGOs that promot civil society or that help illegal migrants or LGBT rights.

I've no idea what the approach would be in the UK it just seems to me a bit anti-democratic and risky. I'd be very uncomfortable (and probably protesting against) any SNP politicians if they did an unlawful referendum or a UDI. I mean Martin McGuinness and Gerry Adams were MPs at one point.

And why should the referendum not be illegal? They passed a law that made that referendum binding, with a proto-Catalan constitution that had to be enacted within 10 days of it. Puigdemont ultimately shat his pants, but I honestly can't see how you're supposed to turn a blind eye to that. Yes, the sedition sentence was OTT, but the current government is pretty open about wanting to remedy that (but the pardon process in Spain is long).

AFAIK, the SNP wants to do a "consultative" referendum. We had one of those in 2014 and nobody went to jail for it.

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 05, 2021, 01:52:54 PM

They keep repeating to the Culture sector people to be patient, for better times will come.

What a great time to be a minister. "Look at all the cultural festivals we cannot hold"

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on March 05, 2021, 01:54:47 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 05, 2021, 01:52:54 PM

What a great time to be a minister. "Look at all the cultural festivals we cannot hold"

Current Culture minister is a former Health Minister who was mocked back then for being too cautious with a new Asian virus.  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on March 05, 2021, 01:54:42 PMAnd why should the referendum not be illegal? They passed a law that made that referendum binding, with a proto-Catalan constitution that had to be enacted within 10 days of it. Puigdemont ultimately shat his pants, but I honestly can't see how you're supposed to turn a blind eye to that.

AFAIK, the SNP wants to do a "consultative" referendum. We had one of those in 2014 and nobody went to jail for it.
It all depends. That's the moderate position of the SNP at the minute (by Sturgeon), but there's a debate about what happens if they win a majority and Westminster won't allow another referendum. Hardliners want to organise an unlawful referendum and a UDI if it succeeds - there's also rumours Alex Salmond might launch a referendum and UDI party to spite Sturgeon :lol:

As I say we'll see - I don't know what the position is.

For me I'd say political punishments would be more appropriate - removing them from office and banning them from running for or holding office.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Yeah I would say that political punishments is probably a more just course of action, if done according to the rule of law of course.