News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hungarian Politics

Started by Tamas, March 09, 2011, 01:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Razgovory on March 31, 2020, 02:42:30 AM
Why the fuck would anyone agree to that?  Why would a legislative body effectively vote itself out of existence, or at least relevance?

Because Orban's party have 2/3 of parliament and follow him blindly? (They carried 50% of the popular vote or thereabouts)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Great, an EU dictatorship, that's just what we need. I hope there is a procedure for kicking a member state out for failing to be a democracy.

We'll have to let Serbia in though, if there's any hope for that rail link to Baghdad.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on March 31, 2020, 02:47:58 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 31, 2020, 02:42:30 AM
Why the fuck would anyone agree to that?  Why would a legislative body effectively vote itself out of existence, or at least relevance?

Because Orban's party have 2/3 of parliament and follow him blindly? (They carried 50% of the popular vote or thereabouts)

Yes.

Zanza

Quote from: Maladict on March 31, 2020, 02:50:18 AM
Great, an EU dictatorship, that's just what we need. I hope there is a procedure for kicking a member state out for failing to be a democracy.
The EU was always good at making up procedures when needed. I hope they have the balls to actually act against Hungary.

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on March 31, 2020, 02:54:13 AM
Quote from: Maladict on March 31, 2020, 02:50:18 AM
The EU was always good at making up procedures when needed. I hope they have the balls to actually act against Hungary.

Problem will probably be that even if Hungary got no voting on the procedures, their Polish friends are likely to veto/slow down the process as much as possible.

Compare and contrast to the EU reaction in 2000 when Jörg Haider joined the government in Austria.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on March 31, 2020, 02:59:03 AM

Problem will probably be that even if Hungary got no voting on the procedures, their Polish friends are likely to veto/slow down the process as much as possible.

Compare and contrast to the EU reaction in 2000 when Jörg Haider joined the government in Austria.

If anything, taking decisive action against Hungary might just keep Poland from going the same way.

Sheilbh

I think PiS for all their issues are different than Orban and Fidesz.

But yeah, this is worrying :(
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 31, 2020, 02:17:23 AM
Orban gets to decide when the crisis is over....no time limit for the exceptional powers  :mad:

I'm sure this modern day Cincinnatus will act responsibly.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on April 01, 2020, 02:24:19 AM
Orban gets to decide when the crisis is over....no time limit for the exceptional powers  :mad:

I don't think whole families are allowed in shops for Easter egg buying, so it is already pretty rough.

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on April 01, 2020, 03:12:37 AM
Quote from: The Brain on April 01, 2020, 02:24:19 AM

I don't think whole families are allowed in shops for Easter egg buying, so it is already pretty rough.

^_^
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Seems like the pandemic also offers a convenient solution to deal with the problem of Fidesz' recent loss at mayoral and local elections (a LOT of cities and major towns went to opposition control).

Under this new emergency law, although the mayors get the right to skip the council members and make decisions on their own, most decisions in fact will need to be approved by district or county "defense committees". These are not a group of experts as you might expect, but almost exclusively political appointments, consisting of Fidesz politicians past their glory days.

So in effect all mayors and councils are being drawn under direct political oversight by the central authority (i.e. Orban). 

Tamas

Quote from: Tamas on April 01, 2020, 07:08:07 AM
Seems like the pandemic also offers a convenient solution to deal with the problem of Fidesz' recent loss at mayoral and local elections (a LOT of cities and major towns went to opposition control).

Under this new emergency law, although the mayors get the right to skip the council members and make decisions on their own, most decisions in fact will need to be approved by district or county "defense committees". These are not a group of experts as you might expect, but almost exclusively political appointments, consisting of Fidesz politicians past their glory days.

So in effect all mayors and councils are being drawn under direct political oversight by the central authority (i.e. Orban).

The government has just backtracked on this one. Seems like it was a bit too obvious, and the mayors could argue effectively that democratic concerns aside, perhaps its not the best policy during an emergency to run every decision past a committee working with a five days deadline.

The Larch

The leaders of 13 EPP member parties have signed a letter requesting Fidesz being kicked out of PPE (it is currently suspended indefinitely for previous transgressions) because of the state of emergency law recently passed in Hungary.

Maladict

Quote from: The Larch on April 02, 2020, 12:08:18 PM
The leaders of 13 EPP member parties have signed a letter requesting Fidesz being kicked out of PPE (it is currently suspended indefinitely for previous transgressions) because of the state of emergency law recently passed in Hungary.

But CDU did not?

The Larch

Quote from: Maladict on April 02, 2020, 12:18:31 PM
Quote from: The Larch on April 02, 2020, 12:08:18 PM

But CDU did not?

Haven't seen a comprehensive list of all the signees.