And we're back!

Main Menu

Hungarian Politics

Started by Tamas, March 09, 2011, 01:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen k

Zsa Zsa Gabor has died.  :(

Tamas

Looks like time is right to go full Putin on the NGOs in Hungary.

They have been the only effective opposition for quite a while now.

For now -I have no doubt this is merely the first step- they are introducing a new law that forces officials in NGOs to make public wealth and income statements. Which no doubt will be used to smear and discredit them, culling their ranks as people not wanting to be harassed will stop working.

One of the vice presidents of Fidesz said on a press conference that NGOs, which are part of the "Soros empire" are used to "push through the interest of international finance and the idelogoy of political correctness" and these must be "pushed back", "cleaned out" "by whatever means necessary" and he also said:
"now there is an opportunity for this, with, I'll be honest, the election of the new [American] President"

Ladies and gentleman, I was one smart little boy to leave that country. Now I'll just have to worry about not being sent back there by the UK, and not having troubles when visiting my family in about 5-10 years.

Valmy

Well I am glad I visited Hungary when I did then.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

This is Russian state media folks. They don't even want to sugarcoat it anymore: Orban has become Putin's little bitch.

Archy

Putin is going to make his little bitchhole bleed  :menace:

Tamas

The big political topic recently has been a newly formed opposition group (called Momentum, seemingly made of young intellectuals. And lawyers) successfully getting permission from the relevant authority to gather signatures in petition for a local referendum on Budapest applying for the 2024 Olympics.

The more radical wing of the government press of course declared these people traitors, and during the weeks of signature-gathering, several volunteers were attacked, and there was a lot verbal abuse.

Government must had got some intel on the progress because the last few days they started gradually backing out of the whole Olympics idea.

Due to the population of Budapest the guys had to gather 134 thousand signatures to force the holding of a referendum.
They have just submitted the signatures, 266 thousand of them. :)

I am betting there won't be a referendum because Budapest's application will be retracted.

Last time there was a building momentum behind a national referendum request (that was  to let shops be open on Sundays again), the government just said "we always meant it as temporary" and cancelled the Sunday ban.

celedhring

There's a pretty good chance that 2024 is held in Europe. Even if Budapest would probably not be a frontrunner, can't fathom the corruption levels of Orban and the IOC working together if Hungary got it.  :hmm:

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on February 17, 2017, 08:49:07 AM
There's a pretty good chance that 2024 is held in Europe. Even if Budapest would probably not be a frontrunner, can't fathom the corruption levels of Orban and the IOC working together if Hungary got it.  :hmm:

I think the Athens venues, 12 years after the event, would be a good indication what Budapest would "gain" in the long term:

http://www.thisisinsider.com/photos-of-the-athens-olympic-venues-2016-7/#the-softball-stadium-1
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

You can tell Fidesz is shellshocked by the number of signatures, because only one of the government funded online news portals have reported on it yet, after like 3 hours, while this is clearly the biggest political event of the last few weeks. :D

Tamas

can't fathom the corruption levels of Orban and the IOC working together if Hungary got it.  :hmm:

Yeah, that's why people don't want it.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on February 17, 2017, 08:53:55 AM

I think the Athens venues, 12 years after the event, would be a good indication what Budapest would "gain" in the long term:

http://www.thisisinsider.com/photos-of-the-athens-olympic-venues-2016-7/#the-softball-stadium-1

Man people couldn't even use those venues if they wanted to, they are mostly locked up and left to rot.

Man that would be an amazing baseball facility to have access to. Kind of breaks my heart to see it decay.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Just to annoy Tamas, I ate Americanized Hungarian food today.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas