News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Peter King, Muslims, Terrorism & the IRA.

Started by jimmy olsen, March 09, 2011, 04:51:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 09, 2011, 07:50:41 PM
There is no commonality between the IRA and Islamic literalist terrorism, and you know that.
Of course there is.  Both groups seek to leverage violence into political gain and to conquer regions that most assuredly do not want to be ruled by them.  The only difference is scale.

Mind you, these days the IRA are little more than gangsters.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 09, 2011, 07:28:54 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 09, 2011, 07:18:50 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 09, 2011, 12:43:15 PM
It was the orange part of the island that supported us in our war for independence. Just sayin'.  :bowler:
Why would Irish Anglo-Protestants have supported the Americans?

They saw the American Revolution as the next phase of Cromwell's struggle. According to some historian who said so anyway.

Edit: If you're curious, the book is "Irish Opinion and the American Revolution" by Vincent Morley.
Cool. Too bad the English didn't join us in our glorious revolution and overthrow the King.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 09, 2011, 09:35:00 PM
Cool. Too bad the English didn't join us in our glorious revolution and overthrow the King.
That didn't work out so well for America.  Why would the British want a piece of that?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

It was the orange part of the island that supported us in our war for independence. Just sayin'.  :bowler:

The Presbyterian War = American War of Independence
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on March 09, 2011, 09:38:41 PM
That didn't work out so well for America.  Why would the British want a piece of that?
#1 for 70 years isn't working out?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 09, 2011, 09:44:06 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 09, 2011, 09:38:41 PM
#1 for 70 years isn't working out?
Indeed.  Given the natural advantages of the American continent, the United States is well below par.  And now that they're squandering the advantages that they built up following the self-destruction of Europe, they're going to end civilization on Earth.

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on March 09, 2011, 08:13:25 AMIf you can defend the IRA like that then you can do the same for the various anti-american groups just the same.

There is no commonality between the IRA and Islamic literalist terrorism, and you know that.

:D
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on March 09, 2011, 08:13:25 AMIf you can defend the IRA like that then you can do the same for the various anti-american groups just the same.

Other than being terrorists? :huh:

And I thought the IRA's ties to PLO terrorists (and various splinter groups) was well documented.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on March 10, 2011, 02:03:27 AM

And I thought the IRA's ties to PLO terrorists (and various splinter groups) was well documented.

They were invited.  Punch was served.

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 09, 2011, 07:28:54 PM

They saw the American Revolution as the next phase of Cromwell's struggle. According to some historian who said so anyway.

Edit: If you're curious, the book is "Irish Opinion and the American Revolution" by Vincent Morley.

For the English a Glorious Revolution is being invade by the Dutch.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Kleves

Muslim Congressman tearfully decries committee's questioning of Muslim-American patriotism, vows vengence on America*
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42005790/ns/politics

QuoteWASHINGTON — Minnesota Democratic Rep. Keith Ellison, the first Muslim congressman, gave emotional testimony Thursday to a House of Representatives committee hearing on radicalization in the U.S. Muslim community.

Tearfully describing the story of a Muslim-American first-responder paramedic who died on September 11, 2001, Ellison criticized New York Republican Rep. Peter King for leading the controversial hearings that have reignited a national debate over how to combat a spate of home grown terrorism.

"Mohammed Salman Hamdani was a fellow American who gave his life for other Americans," Ellison said, his voice trembling. "His life should not be defined as a member of an ethnic group or a member of a religion, but as an American who gave everything for his fellow citizens."

"This committee's approach to violent extremism is contrary to American values and threatens our security," Ellison said. The congressman tried to hide his tears behind his papers and quickly left the room after his remarks.

The senior Democrat in the House, Michigan Representative John Dingell, urged King and the committee to ensure that their investigation would not "blot the good name or the loyalty or raise questions about the decency of Arabs or Muslims or other Americans."

King insisted the hearing was the logical response to Obama administration warnings over a very real threat.

"To back down would be a craven surrender to political correctness and an abdication of what I believe to be the main responsibility of this committee — to protect America from a terrorist attack," King said in his opening remarks.

Critics have compared the hearing to overly zealous investigations of communism in the 1950s that led to false accusations that destroyed careers.

"There is nothing radical or un-American in holding these hearings," King said Thursday.

Melvin Bledsoe, whose son, Carlos, is charged with killing an Army private at a recruiting station in Little Rock, Ark., testified about his son's conversion to Islam and his isolation from his family.

"Carlos was captured by people best described as hunters," Bledsoe said. "He was manipulated and lied to."

The Obama administration has tried to frame the discussion around radicalization in general, without singling out Muslims. King said that is just political correctness, since al-Qaida is the main threat to the United States.

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder took a veiled swipe at King on Wednesday, saying the focus by law enforcement was on individuals rather than an entire community because "we don't want to stigmatize, we don't want to alienate entire communities."

At the White House, spokesman Jay Carney said, "We welcome congressional involvement in this issue."

"In the United States, we don't practice guilt by association," Carney added. "We believe Muslim-Americans are part of the solution."

Elsewhere at the Capitol, Director of National Intelligence James Clapper also was scheduled to address the threat of homegrown terrorism Thursday. In his prepared remarks, Clapper says 2010 saw more plots involving homegrown Sunni Muslim extremists ideologically aligned with al-Qaida than in the previous year.

"Key to this trend has been the development of a U.S.-specific narrative that motivates individuals to violence," Clapper's remarks say.

*Tim, this headline is what we call a joke, and not meant to be taken seriously
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 10, 2011, 07:19:58 AM
Quote from: Barrister on March 10, 2011, 02:03:27 AM

They were invited.  Punch was served.

Here's a good link - entitled "IRA-PLO Cooperation: A Long, Cozy Relationship", published originally in your favourite publication the Jerusalem Post.

http://www.realclearworld.com/articles/2009/04/ira_plo_history_cooperation.html

Barrister

DGuller

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on March 10, 2011, 01:18:59 PM
Beeb, why are you lecturing us on hotlinking?  :huh:

Huh - image doesn't show up at all for me - I'll delete it.

I did add other images though.   :)