And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football '11-'12

Started by katmai, March 08, 2011, 11:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

:yes:

Just the other day I ran a 40 in under 10 seconds. :w00t:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on June 17, 2011, 08:23:24 AM
Huh?

Tuitama stopped playing for Arizona because he didn't have any remaining eligibility. His last game was as a senior at the 2008 Holiday Bowl, where he was the MVP.

Maybe you are thinking of someone else? I am sure there are players at Arizona who have been kicked off the team for doing something stupid, but Tuitama is not one of them.
You are correct.  I had my Arizona "thugs" confused.  It was Delashaun Dean who left the team after he broke the law.

Moral is, though, that kids that age will be stupid, and people who live in glass houses, etc.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on June 17, 2011, 10:53:03 AM
Quote from: Berkut on June 17, 2011, 08:23:24 AM
Huh?

Tuitama stopped playing for Arizona because he didn't have any remaining eligibility. His last game was as a senior at the 2008 Holiday Bowl, where he was the MVP.

Maybe you are thinking of someone else? I am sure there are players at Arizona who have been kicked off the team for doing something stupid, but Tuitama is not one of them.
You are correct.  I had my Arizona "thugs" confused.  It was Delashaun Dean who left the team after he broke the law.

Moral is, though, that kids that age will be stupid, and people who live in glass houses, etc.

I suppose. But I don't think noting that some programs have more of these kinds of issues than others, and have pretty questionable means of reacting to them is throwing stones in a glass house.

I think Arizona is pretty typical for a program of its size (football wise anyway). It has its share of dumbasses like Dean.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

PDH

Quote from: Valmy on June 17, 2011, 09:17:15 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 17, 2011, 09:09:47 AM
Since Ben Cahoon retired we need a new white awesome receiver.

I have to say there are alot more of them then there used to be.  White people must be getting faster.
Wyoming gets slow black receivers...the white guys are sessile.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on June 17, 2011, 12:48:29 PM

Your QB showed blazing speed on that TD last year though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

Quote from: Valmy on June 17, 2011, 01:02:36 PM
Quote from: PDH on June 17, 2011, 12:48:29 PM

Your QB showed blazing speed on that TD last year though.
Then he left the program!
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on June 17, 2011, 01:20:52 PM

:o

Well Wyoming better get another one in time for the 2012 Texas-Wyoming game!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

dps

Quote from: Valmy on June 17, 2011, 01:23:51 PM
Quote from: PDH on June 17, 2011, 01:20:52 PM

:o

Well Wyoming better get another one in time for the 2012 Texas-Wyoming game!

So is that Texas' slogan for this season, "Still good enough to beat Wyoming--if they don't have a QB!"?

Valmy

Quote from: dps on June 17, 2011, 02:34:13 PM
So is that Texas' slogan for this season, "Still good enough to beat Wyoming--if they don't have a QB!"?

Not playing Wyoming this season that is why I said '2012'.  But I am taking nothing for granted :P if Texas can be beaten by Iowa State now anything is possible.

The turnover from last season in the coaching staff was so high I am not really sure what to think of this coming season.  I just hope they change the culture of entitlement that has been a problem for Texas ever since Mack Brown has been there.  His loyalty to veterans was admirable in alot of ways but it sure got frustratiing waiting for subpar guys to graduate so more talented younger guys could play.  It really got bad last seasons because entire units were underperforming year after year and no changes were being made...well ok there was lots of desk chair re-arranging but no personnel changes which was the real problem.

Berkut

The Oregon thing has taken a rather amusing turn.

So the basic issue that the NCAA is investigating is whether or not this Lyles character steered players to Oregon in return for cash. Oregon paid Lyles $25,000 in one lump sum payment, which seems like a lot for dubious "recruiting services".

Oregon claims the payment was for Lyles recruiting service, and not a quid pro quo for Lyles steering recruits like Lamichael James to the school. So the NCAA asked "OK, $25k is kind of a lot - what did you get for that?" and the response is "Lyles recruiting service provided summaries about potential national recruits, yadda, yadda, yadda".

So a newspaper asked for the report in question.

This was bought and paid for in 2010, for the 2011 season.

Turns out all the players in the report graduated in 2009. Some in 2008. One of them actually played against Oregon in the Rose Bowl that year, and even got a sack! Another one died a year earlier in a car accident. In college.

Of course, at this point it is hard to really know that there is a fire, but damn there sure is a lot of smoke...

0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 17, 2011, 10:19:43 AM

A lot of people can run 40 feet in 10 seconds.

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on June 21, 2011, 12:00:46 PM
The Oregon thing has taken a rather amusing turn.

So the basic issue that the NCAA is investigating is whether or not this Lyles character steered players to Oregon in return for cash. Oregon paid Lyles $25,000 in one lump sum payment, which seems like a lot for dubious "recruiting services".

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/

Oregon is being incredibly stupid about this: releasing that unbelievably obvious bogus document.  They are about to be fucked.

And of course Lyles admitted to steering players peoples way...oh and he accused Texas of paying off High School coaches..but he has hated Texas forever for trying to take him down.  Since he was so eager to name the specific player he sold to Oregon in the interview maybe he can name these High School coaches eh?  Talk about damning yourself.  "I didn't want to steer kids their way" naming Seastrunk by name.  Hilarious.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 21, 2011, 04:43:57 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 17, 2011, 10:19:43 AM

A lot of people can run 40 feet in 10 seconds.

I need to stretch first.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Berkut

Honestly, I am kind of torn on the Oregon thing.

On the one hand, they've become my favorite team to hate after the Masoli thing.

But at the end of the day I am a Pac-10 guy, and the last thing the Pac-10 needs is the other legit top-10 program in the conference getting whacked right after USC shit themselves.

And if this mess with Oregon does go somewhere, it could be worse than USC. USC could at least argue that their issues were largely driven by a particular player. If Oregon has done what it looks like they've done, their issues are institutional, and they won't stop with Lyles.

0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on June 21, 2011, 06:25:04 PM
http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/

Oregon is being incredibly stupid about this: releasing that unbelievably obvious bogus document.  They are about to be fucked.

And of course Lyles admitted to steering players peoples way...oh and he accused Texas of paying off High School coaches..but he has hated Texas forever for trying to take him down.  Since he was so eager to name the specific player he sold to Oregon in the interview maybe he can name these High School coaches eh?  Talk about damning yourself.  "I didn't want to steer kids their way" naming Seastrunk by name.  Hilarious.
I think you are right about Oregon being stupid, but I also think you completely misread what Lyles said.  He didn't admit that he was steering players, he "admitted" that Texas was claiming he steered players, and mentioned, when asked, one particular player that Texas claimed he had steered.

He does sound dirty to me, but not because of this interview.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!