News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Goodnight Dune

Started by Malthus, March 07, 2011, 03:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

I know we have a lot of recent parents about, and a lot of science fiction fans ... this link is for the intersection of the two.  :D

http://www.goodnightdune.com/index.html
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

:lmfao:

That is awesome.  I shall read it to Valmy Jr. tonight.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on March 07, 2011, 03:34:31 PM
:lmfao:

That is awesome.  I shall read it to Valmy Jr. tonight.

How into books is Valmy Jr (Have you ever told us his name)?

I can only get Timothy interested in books that having moving peices / flaps, or what not.

The book itself - even as a sci-fi fan, and a new dad, I can only go :huh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on March 07, 2011, 03:40:40 PM

It's a parody of the well-known children's classic "Goodnight Moon". I thought just about every parent on the planet had been exposed to that ...  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

How into books is Valmy Jr (Have you ever told us his name)?

I can only get Timothy interested in books that having moving peices / flaps, or what not.

He looks very interested at the pages while I read them to him.  And his name is David.  I read him a book right before I put him to bed.

And it is funny because there is a kid's book called 'Goodnight Moon' that I read to him some nights.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on March 07, 2011, 03:43:42 PM

It's a parody of the well-known children's classic "Goodnight Moon". I thought just about every parent on the planet had been exposed to that ...  ;)

I don't have Goodnight Moon, but I am familiar with it.  Still it was just :huh:

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on March 07, 2011, 03:47:38 PM
I don't have Goodnight Moon, but I am familiar with it.  Still it was just :huh:

It is funny because it is so absurd.

Malthus

Well, if it isn't funny to you, it isn't funny.

I'd like to see a SF parody of Pat the Bunny:D

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on March 07, 2011, 03:49:19 PM

It is funny because it is so absurd.

I *get* the joke.  But (and of course nothing is less funny than trying to discuss humour) the problem is the joke was all in the title.  Going through 20 pages of just repeating the same joke was kind of meh.

But YMMV as they say.

frunk

It's funny because it's such a spot on parody of Goodnight Moon, but with many of the creepiest bits of Dune.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on March 07, 2011, 04:03:31 PM
I *get* the joke.  But (and of course nothing is less funny than trying to discuss humour) the problem is the joke was all in the title.  Going through 20 pages of just repeating the same joke was kind of meh.

Then why was your response 'huh'?  For some reason going 'huh?' to something makes it sound like you do not understand it :P

Valmy

Quote from: frunk on March 07, 2011, 04:05:54 PM
It's funny because it's such a spot on parody of Goodnight Moon, but with many of the creepiest bits of Dune.

That to.  Adult content in kid's contexts is always good fodder.

Syt

Toby Frost's Space Captain Smith books are like Futurama meets Victorian England, and it's full of shout outs and parodies of, well, a lot of stuff.

In Vol. 3, "Wrath of the Lemming Men", the heroes seek guidance from a computing machine that moves around the building on rails and has a grey disk with smiling face on its front. It's Thomas the Differential Engine. 

:bowler:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on March 07, 2011, 04:15:02 PM
Toby Frost's Space Captain Smith books are like Futurama meets Victorian England, and it's full of shout outs and parodies of, well, a lot of stuff.

In Vol. 3, "Wrath of the Lemming Men", the heroes seek guidance from a computing machine that moves around the building on rails and has a grey disk with smiling face on its front. It's Thomas the Differential Engine. 

:lol:

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on March 07, 2011, 04:15:02 PM

:D