News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Death of an American Hero

Started by HisMajestyBOB, March 07, 2011, 03:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HisMajestyBOB

QuotePHOENIX — A 575-pound man who gained a measure of fame as spokesman for the Heart Attack Grill — a Phoenix-area restaurant that unabashedly touts its unhealthy, high-calorie menu — has died.

Friends of 29-year-old Blair River say he died Tuesday, possibly from contracting pneumonia after a bout with the flu.

Restaurant founder Jon Basso told The Arizona Republic that River was more than the larger-than-life caricature he portrayed in promoting the restaurant in Chandler, which includes huge hamburgers, milkshakes and fries cooked in lard on its menu.

Basso said River was a creative genius who had been planning to take part in the shooting of a promotional spot called, "Heart Attack Grill: The Musical."

"Cynical people might think this (River's death) is funny," Basso said. "But people who knew him are crying their eyes out. There is a lot of mourning going on around here. You couldn't have found a better person."

The 6-foot-8 River was an Arizona state high school heavyweight wrestling champion in 1999 and played football at Mesa Community College.

Heat Attack Grill Video

R.I.P.  :cry:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

Poor old Ca-liga, he never got a kiss. Poor old Ca-liga, he don't know what he missed. Is it any wonder, that his face is red? Ca-liga, that poor old wooden head.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on March 07, 2011, 03:29:22 PM
Restaurant founder Jon Basso told The Arizona Republic that River was more than the larger-than-life caricature he portrayed
:frusty:

You can say that larger has triumphed over life.

Valmy

I am a bit confused over how he died....did he just refuse to go to the hospital before it was too late?  The flue -> pneumonia thing is something that usually happens to the elderly.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jaron

I think in his picture I can sorta make out where his face used to be.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

LaCroix

it saddens me that i will never likely eat at the heart attack grill :(

Syt

Yeah, I would definitely love to try it once. Making it a habit of eating there regularly, or similar food on a daily basis, is probably not wise, though. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadImmortalMan

The first thing I'd eat is the waitress. But there's no way I could put away a ten thousand calorie burger unless I had three days to do it.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers