News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Bettman built the NHL to be the NBA's little brother. That is why he made the conferences and divisions as boring as possible.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on June 25, 2015, 02:29:57 PM
:huh:  I've never heard of tickets being handed out for free.  I mean, I'm sure the teams comp a few tickets for friends and family of players and what not, but that's not very many tickets.
A Montreal-Quebec game will always be sold out.  But against the 22nd team?  Often they had to give away tickets to big buyers, wich in turn gave them to their clients.  I saw a lot of hockey games that way in the past.

There was an interview with someone working for the Nordiques later for the Habs who describred how it worked.

I doubt very much it has changed that much.  Except maybe for Winnipeg, people are cracy there :P
It could be similar for the Nordiques for the first few years.  Eventually, it may change.  Even Montreal had some trouble selling tickets when the team was dragging at the bottom.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on June 26, 2015, 08:59:06 AM
:huh:  I've never heard of tickets being handed out for free.  I mean, I'm sure the teams comp a few tickets for friends and family of players and what not, but that's not very many tickets.
A Montreal-Quebec game will always be sold out.  But against the 22nd team?  Often they had to give away tickets to big buyers, wich in turn gave them to their clients.  I saw a lot of hockey games that way in the past.

There was an interview with someone working for the Nordiques later for the Habs who describred how it worked.

I doubt very much it has changed that much.  Except maybe for Winnipeg, people are cracy there :P
It could be similar for the Nordiques for the first few years.  Eventually, it may change.  Even Montreal had some trouble selling tickets when the team was dragging at the bottom.

No - what happens is those "big buyers" have season tickets.  For a midweek game against a nothing opponent in January, no one in the big business wants to go, so that's how they wind up with you.

But the tickets were still bought and paid for.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on June 26, 2015, 10:13:41 AM
Quote from: viper37 on June 26, 2015, 08:59:06 AM

No - what happens is those "big buyers" have season tickets.  For a midweek game against a nothing opponent in January, no one in the big business wants to go, so that's how they wind up with you.

But the tickets were still bought and paid for.
I'm telling you as I read it.  Lots of the tickets were given away for free, especially when the team was really bad.

The tickets I got as a youth were given by a group of owners for wich my dad's boss was doing lots of contracts at the time (wich is why I want to move up the scale in the construction industry :P ), don't know if they were paid by the owners (as in season tickets) or given away as part of their allotment of free tickets to give.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Drakken

Wow, Lucic traded to the Los Angeles Kings in exchange for a goalie, a greenhorn, and a 13th pick?  :wacko:

Also, the Habs' first pick? Yet again a defenceman.  <_<

Grey Fox

1st round. You pick best player available.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

sbr

All of the different levels and layers of minor league hockey confuse me.  Do NHL draft picks start in the minors for a period of time like in MLB* or do they go right to their NHL team?

*and yes I know there are exceptions for everything

Grey Fox

It depends where they are from. The draft is for players 18 years old.

Players from the CHL (canadian network) either go to their NHL team or CHL if they are 18 or 19 years old.
If the player is 20, he will go to NHL team or their AHL or ECHL affiliate. NHL team decides.
21 and over don't play in the CHL network.

Players from the NCAA chose either to start a pro career or stay in the NCAA, if they chose pro they will go NHL, AHL or ECHL. NHL team decides.

Euros from euro league sign NHL contracts & either play in ECHL, AHL or the NHL or they stay in their Euro leagues.

It goes ECHL -> AHL -> NHL in terms or skill rankings. There are other minor leagues under the ECHL but they dont matter much.

Jaron

SHARKS 5
KINGS 1

This is a new era for San Jose.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Barrister

Jets - 6
Bruins - 2

:cool:

(Yes, I skipped the game and watched the Royals-Astros instead.  Doesn't make me any less excited about the opening win)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

dps

Ugh.  Didn't see the game, but from the score it looks like the same old Hurricanes we've had for the last few years. 

Jaron

The Sharks are the hottest team in west. They have some magic so far this season.

Beat Kings 5-1
Beat Ducks 2-0
Beat Capitals 5-0

Meanwhile, the Kings look really flat this season. They've yet to win a single game.

Most likely outcome for 2015-2016: Sharks win Stanley Cup.

Jaron

What do you all think of the 3 v 3 overtime?

I've watched a few and decided I really like them. It's a much faster game with a lot more opportunities to score. It feels like a good addition.

Grey Fox

I miss ties but I understand that it is un fathomable for the casual fan so anything that gets us a tie-breaker that is not the shootout is alright for me.

Jaron

My beloved Sharks beat the Devils in a shoot out. It was close.  :showoff: