News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Lundqvist kept the Rangers in the series. The Rangers offense was lackluster against the Kings defense and their only shot at victory was to sneak some past Quick while Lundqvist held the line. It could have worked, but it was a long shot.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Barrister

Legitimately big hockey news today around the extended Barrister family.

Winnipeg Jets announce their new radio play by play announcer will be Paul Edmonds, who has been a long-time minor league baseball play by play announcer in Winnipeg.

Why the hell is this big news?  Paul is my cousin - in fact my only cousin on my dad's side.   :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PRC

Quote from: Barrister on August 14, 2014, 10:48:22 PM
Legitimately big hockey news today around the extended Barrister family.

Winnipeg Jets announce their new radio play by play announcer will be Paul Edmonds, who has been a long-time minor league baseball play by play announcer in Winnipeg.

Why the hell is this big news?  Paul is my cousin - in fact my only cousin on my dad's side.   :cool:

That's awesome, congrats... I certainly assume that means a few more comped tickets coming your way, either in Winnipeg or when the Jets are in town.

Grey Fox

Fuck Tickets, a night on the media area is the shitz.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Budaj traded to the Jets where he expected a chance to compete for #2 spot.  He is sent to the American league instead.
Sad for him.  I hear he's an hard worker, always training.  But there are lots of better goalies now.
Looking at the stats, it doesn't seem abysmal, but I can't say he did a good job in the last season and playoffs with the Habs.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on October 07, 2014, 02:23:06 PM
Budaj traded to the Jets where he expected a chance to compete for #2 spot.  He is sent to the American league instead.
Sad for him.  I hear he's an hard worker, always training.  But there are lots of better goalies now.
Looking at the stats, it doesn't seem abysmal, but I can't say he did a good job in the last season and playoffs with the Habs.

Nah - Jets have a very bad, but expensive #1 goalie under contract in Pavelec, and a very promising prospect in Hutchinson.  They also have an even more promising (but very young) prospect in Hellebuyck.  Hutchinson was fantastic in the A, and they want to give him more of a look in the NHL.  But Hellebuyck is still developing, and in case of injury the organization wouldn't want him just riding the pine in Winnipeg - he needs to play.  So Budaj's role would be as a mentor to Hellebuyck, and can act as a call up if either goalie goes down for injury (or if Hutchinson goes down in flames - he only has 3 career NHL starts).

So there's an opportunity there for him if he wants to try and grab it.  But he cleared waivers - nobody out there thought he was good enough to earn a roster spot in the NHL.

PRC

The Jets should have taken Markstrom when the Canucks had to put him through waivers to get him to their AHL team in Utica.

Calgary is not going to have a stellar year, but they're going to be competitive and they are looking like they've got a lot of solid youngsters.  This Johnny Gaudreau kid has skills and Sam Bennet (injured) is going to be a star player.

Canucks will have a rebound year and compete for that 8th spot in the playoffs. 

The Western Conference is going to be a hell of a hard battle once again.

Barrister

Quote from: PRC on October 07, 2014, 04:41:43 PM
The Jets should have taken Markstrom when the Canucks had to put him through waivers to get him to their AHL team in Utica.

Calgary is not going to have a stellar year, but they're going to be competitive and they are looking like they've got a lot of solid youngsters.  This Johnny Gaudreau kid has skills and Sam Bennet (injured) is going to be a star player.

Canucks will have a rebound year and compete for that 8th spot in the playoffs. 

The Western Conference is going to be a hell of a hard battle once again.

Why?  Jets are A: stuck with Pavelec, and B: want to see what Hutchinson can do.  If we take a goalie off waivers we have to keep that player with the club.

I predict the Jets will again be the top team in Western Canada, which isn't saying much as they'll still miss the playoffs.

PRC

Markstrom is an upgrade on Hutchinson, they can see what he does in the minors.  Pavelec sucks, they should have bought him out.

Canucks will finish higher in the standings than the Jets. 

Grey Fox

Markstrom is a dead prospect until he finds a work ethics. Time is also running out for him.

PRC

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 08, 2014, 07:45:15 AM
Markstrom is a dead prospect until he finds a work ethics. Time is also running out for him.

Probably true.

Winnipeg has a good team - other than their goaltending.  If they can't fix it they don't have a hope and they're in a tough division.

Barrister

Quote from: PRC on October 08, 2014, 12:09:00 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 08, 2014, 07:45:15 AM

Probably true.

Winnipeg has a good team - other than their goaltending.  If they can't fix it they don't have a hope and they're in a tough division.

Very true, but as I said Markstrom's not the answer.  Going through hockeyDB he's been a sub .900 goaltender most years in the NHL, while playing as a backup.  His numbers make even Pavelec look good.

Grey Fox

btw, remind your GM that the Habs is always ready to embrace your great black players in exchange for Rene Bourque.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 08, 2014, 01:14:47 PM
btw, remind your GM that the Habs is always ready to embrace your great black players in exchange for Rene Bourque.

It was always funny how a team in whitebread Winnipeg* had three black hockey players (two of whom are still there).  But I'll pass on your trade.

*In fact, Winnipeg is known for it's rye bread, but that doesn't work as well.

Grey Fox

I just don't understand's Cheveldayoff love of his Atlanta core of players. He should have Jetstison that after the first season.