News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on November 27, 2013, 12:35:23 PM
What about CBC? Not sure what they gain by running HNIC on Saturday nights for four more years. From what I've read Sportsnet will produce the shows and CBC doesn't make any revenue. So why even bother?

1. Hanging on to Prestige.  Current CBC management (and apparently Rogers management) doesn't want to be the ones who killed HNIC.

2. Gotta fill that airtime with something.  And apart from hockey, Saturday nights are a ratings dead zone.  Trying to show non-hockey would probably be suicide.

3. Not really a concern for CBC, but it still meets CanCon requirements (though CBC relies on very few foreign imports and is probably well over CanCon minimums).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on November 26, 2013, 08:40:23 PM
Quote from: Josephus on November 26, 2013, 05:54:14 PM
So does this signal the end for TSN? Discuss.  I guess we'll be seeing more poker and darts in winter.
They still have their regional deals.

But those are regional deals.  They can't use that programming on the main network.

TSN is talking a big game about still being the go-to source for hockey.  And they're Tier 1 cable channel so it's not likely they'll lose many subscribers.  But clearly they'll lose out on advertising revenue, have to downsize somewhat.  Maybe they'll try and show more euro soccer games, try and get CHL rights.  Maybe some KHL games (though who wants to watch that?).

PRC

I wonder how much HNIC's ad revenue subsidized other CBC projects?  We may see a drastically different CBC overall, not just with the Hockey Night in Canada program.

Sportsnet has the weakest production value.  They are going to really need to up their game if they're going to match the excellent broadcasts that both TSN and CBC pull off.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on November 27, 2013, 12:43:12 PM
What about CBC? Not sure what they gain by running HNIC on Saturday nights for four more years. From what I've read Sportsnet will produce the shows and CBC doesn't make any revenue. So why even bother?

2. Gotta fill that airtime with something.  And apart from hockey, Saturday nights are a ratings dead zone.  Trying to show non-hockey would probably be suicide.

Yeah. I understand that, IF they were making revenue. but it all goes to Sportsnet anyways. They're better off showing re-runs of GoldenGirls and getting the old lady viewers. That's what I don't understand. Never mind your other two reasons, which are valid.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on November 27, 2013, 01:59:54 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 27, 2013, 12:43:12 PM

Yeah. I understand that, IF they were making revenue. but it all goes to Sportsnet anyways. They're better off showing re-runs of GoldenGirls and getting the old lady viewers. That's what I don't understand. Never mind your other two reasons, which are valid.

But showing Golden Girls reruns and getting no viewers would pull down CBCs overall viewership which might impact overall advertising revenue? :unsure:

Grey Fox

Maybe they rationalize it thru a cultural & nostalgia factors?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on November 27, 2013, 12:45:56 PM
Maybe some KHL games (though who wants to watch that?).
You never know.  There are people in this country who watch basketball ( :yuk: ), so I guess anything is possible.  :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

I expect Bell to ante up for the CHL rights. Rogers deal is in it's last year.

Barrister

Motherfucker!

Next Jets game is at 9am MST on Friday.  Don't those fuckers know Canadian fans are working on Friday? <_<

Grey Fox

Actually, I think it's 9:30am.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on November 27, 2013, 09:43:29 PM
Motherfucker!

Next Jets game is at 9am MST on Friday.  Don't those fuckers know Canadian fans are working on Friday? <_<
But at least they won last night.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on November 28, 2013, 08:49:32 AM
Motherfucker!

But at least they won last night.

:cool:

I'm really missing being in the Eastern Conference right now. Hell we'd be in 2nd place in the Metropolitan Division.

viper37

Motherfucker!

I saw a couple of games this year, in the middle of the week, in the afternoon... wtf??
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."