News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRC

The Winnipeg Jets have given up.  They need a new coach, multiple player moves need to happen but at any rate, this season is lost.  Any moves they make are for the future.

Barrister

Quote from: PRC on November 07, 2013, 11:46:31 AM
The Winnipeg Jets have given up.  They need a new coach, multiple player moves need to happen but at any rate, this season is lost.  Any moves they make are for the future.

I'm not quite there yet, but things don't look good so far.

Mind you, almost nobody looks good against Chicago.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Oh for...it is November.  The season has only just started and it is not like they are 0-16 or something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

They need a new coach, Thompson's promise to Noel's has ran it's course.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 07, 2013, 12:04:41 PM
They need a new coach, Thompson's promise to Noel's has ran it's course.

Thomson (no "P") has nothing to do with hockey operations.

They gave Noel a one year extension on his contract to prevent him from being a lame duck this year.  I think the message is clear - playoffs or Noel is fired at the end of the year.  There's little point to a mid-season firing.

Grey Fox

Still.

Someone gave Noel a promise back when he was coaching the Moose. He's not a good enough coach to do it in the NHL.

PRC

Quote from: Valmy on November 07, 2013, 12:00:39 PM

Oh for...it is November.  The season has only just started and it is not like they are 0-16 or something.

Any team that is 4 points out of the playoff race on November 1st is not making the playoffs.  There have only been three teams to come back and make the playoffs after being four points out on November 1st since 2005-06.  It's exceptionally rare.

The three teams to do it were the Calgary Flames 2006-07 who were seven points out on Nov 1 that year and went to 40-22-9 in their remaining games to make it.  Bufffalo Sabres did it 2010-11 and they went 40-22-8 to make the playoffs. The final team to do it was the Boston Bruins in 2011-12 and they went 45-22-4.

So basically you have to have a .700 winning percentage from November 1st to game 82.  Not going to happen for the Winnipeg Jets this year. 

Barrister

Quote from: PRC on November 07, 2013, 12:44:44 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 07, 2013, 12:00:39 PM

Any team that is 4 points out of the playoff race on November 1st is not making the playoffs.  There have only been three teams to come back and make the playoffs after being four points out on November 1st since 2005-06.  It's exceptionally rare.

The three teams to do it were the Calgary Flames 2006-07 who were seven points out on Nov 1 that year and went to 40-22-9 in their remaining games to make it.  Bufffalo Sabres did it 2010-11 and they went 40-22-8 to make the playoffs. The final team to do it was the Boston Bruins in 2011-12 and they went 45-22-4.

So basically you have to have a .700 winning percentage from November 1st to game 82.  Not going to happen for the Winnipeg Jets this year.

Meh - the Jets are only 6 points out right now.  They just need to put a good 5-6 game winning streak, then continue to play .550 hockey.

PRC

Quote from: Barrister on November 07, 2013, 12:49:07 PM

Meh - the Jets are only 6 points out right now.  They just need to put a good 5-6 game winning streak, then continue to play .550 hockey.

Sounds good in theory.  But in practice that's not an easy thing to do.  I don't know if the Jets have a lot of players leaving for the Olympics but if they don't maybe they will have some rested guys for that break and be able to catch some teams by surprise late.  I don't think they have a shot this year, like I said, they look like they've given up.

Jacob

That one guy needs a new helmet too.

Barrister

Quote from: PRC on November 07, 2013, 12:54:47 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 07, 2013, 12:49:07 PM

Sounds good in theory.  But in practice that's not an easy thing to do.  I don't know if the Jets have a lot of players leaving for the Olympics but if they don't maybe they will have some rested guys for that break and be able to catch some teams by surprise late.  I don't think they have a shot this year, like I said, they look like they've given up.

Likely no one for Canada :(, but Byfuglien, Wheeler and Bogosian likely for Team USA (and maybe Trouba), Pavelec for team Czech, and possibly Jokinen for Team Finland.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on November 07, 2013, 01:00:22 PM

That one guy needs a new helmet too.

Did the guy who took it ever look trashed...

Barrister

From last night's Jets game...

(no, it's not a photoshop)

Barrister

From tonight's Jets game...

It was Jets @ Minnesota.  Now Twin Cities is the closest other NHL franchise to Winnipeg, and there were a LOT of Winnipeg fans present.  And Winnipeg fans have a tradition of yelling out "True North" during the Canadian national anthem, in honour of our ownership group, True North Sports and Entertainment.

So the Wild, to try and screw with all the Winnipeg fans, sang 90% of O Canada in French. :lol:

Jets fans being the intelligent bunch they are, still yelled out "True North" at the appropriate point in the song though. :menace:

Too bad the outcome wasn't to my liking.  4 game win streak snapped. :(

Grey Fox

Josh Motherfucking Harding.