NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 02, 2013, 06:50:55 AM
TO is not alone?

My face hurts, poor Parros.
The leafs have good fans... They just can't afford to go to home games :lol:

And ya, I feel bad for Parros. Came back from his shoulder injury only to be out on his first game. Does Montreal have anyone to replace him?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

TO is not alone?

No kidding.  To get hurt because some clumsy Toronto buffoon falls over and drags you face first onto the ice?  Ouch.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

HVC

Quote from: Neil on October 02, 2013, 07:45:17 AM
TO is not alone?

No kidding.  To get hurt because some clumsy Toronto buffoon falls over and drags you face first onto the ice?  Ouch.
helps if you're not swinging with your eyes closed.

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Neil

Quote from: HVC on October 02, 2013, 07:55:53 AM
Quote from: Neil on October 02, 2013, 07:45:17 AM
TO is not alone?

helps if you're not swinging with your eyes closed.
Probably not.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

I don't know why, but I googled George Parros.

Wow.  The guy went to Princeton. :o

And of course he has epic moustaches. :worship:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

sigh...

I watched the first part of last nights game.  I enjoyed it.  For the first time in a long time I really enjoyed a hockey game.  It was fast moving end to end action.  And then the fight.  Really?  I will be tuning out for another season.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 02, 2013, 03:35:12 PM
sigh...

I watched the first part of last nights game.  I enjoyed it.  For the first time in a long time I really enjoyed a hockey game.  It was fast moving end to end action.  And then the fight.  Really?  I will be tuning out for another season.

Which game?  There was a fight last night in Jets-Oilers, but not much of one.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on October 02, 2013, 03:36:43 PM
sigh...

http://o.canada.com/sports/montreal-canadiens-george-parros-knocked-out-in-scary-fight/

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 02, 2013, 03:48:23 PM
sigh...

http://o.canada.com/sports/montreal-canadiens-george-parros-knocked-out-in-scary-fight/

Well that's your problem - you watched the wrong game then.

Jets-Oilers was a doozy with several lead changes, and just a minor little fight.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on October 02, 2013, 03:53:21 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 02, 2013, 03:48:23 PM
sigh...

Well that's your problem - you watched the wrong game then.

Jets-Oilers was a doozy with several lead changes, and just a minor little fight.

Also a fight in that one.

Fighting is stupid.  I wont watch the NHL until they grow up.

sbr

Out of curiosity why do you keep posting in the same 260 page thread every year instead of starting a new one every season?

Barrister

Quote from: sbr on October 02, 2013, 04:01:27 PM
Out of curiosity why do you keep posting in the same 260 page thread every year instead of starting a new one every season?

Because this thread goes back to 2011 and chronicles the re-birth of that fabled franchise, the Winnipeg Jets. :cool:

PRC

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 02, 2013, 04:00:29 PM
Also a fight in that one.

Fighting is stupid.  I wont watch the NHL until they grow up.

May happen in the next few seasons. 

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/darren_dreger/?id=433262

Tampa Bay Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman is among a group of NHL GMs and executives who believe the time has come for the league and Players' Association to take a more aggressive path towards eliminating fighting.

"Yes, I believe a player should get a game misconduct for fighting," Yzerman told The Dreger Report. "We penalize and suspend players for making contact with the head while checking, in an effort to reduce head injuries, yet we still allow fighting.

"We're stuck in the middle and need to decide what kind of sport do we want to be. Either anything goes and we accept the consequences, or take the next step and eliminate fighting."

Yzerman's comments carry significant weight, given his Hall of Fame playing career and years of playing alongside legendary tough guys in Detroit such as Darren McCarty, Joe Kocur and the late Bob Probert.

When asked if the league and players should stop trying to make fighting safer and focus on banning fighting in general instead, Carolina Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford said, "We've got to get rid of fighting, it has to go."

Rutherford said he would support an open and full discussion on additional penalties such as a game misconduct for fighting - with a significant suspension for any player, for example, who fights multiple times in a season.

Pittsburgh's Ray Shero has been a strong advocate in the league's crackdown on checking to the head. He believes that the NHL has a responsibility to consider a ban on fighting and not just simply raise the discussion when an isolated incident happens.

"It won't happen overnight, but we need to be leaders, not followers in this area," he explained. "I respect other GMs and their views, but we need to look at this and not just when an incident like last night (Parros) happens."

After reading the quotes from these three NHL executives, it didn't take long for one of the game's most celebrated builders to chime in as well. "I support views of Steve Yzerman, Ray Shero and Jim Rutherford on their opinions for addressing most fighting issues," tweeted the legendary Scotty Bowman on Wednesday afternoon. "Poll all Players." 

George Parros has been released from a Montreal hospital and was diagnosed with a concussion. That's positive news, given the state that the hulking Canadiens enforcer appeared to be in after smashing face first into the ice during a fight with Toronto's Colton Orr.

It's unclear as to how the NHL will tackle this issue, if at all. However, moreso than ever before, NHL decision makers seem concerned enough to initiate discussions at their November meeting.

It's unlikely the NHLPA will endorse any radical change given the impact of such a move on the role of the enforcer.

Ninety-eight per cent of NHL players polled in 2011-2012 were in favour of keeping fighting in the game and while there's no immediate plan to conduct a new players survey, the overwhelming support to leave things as they are may not change. And while sensitive to Parros' injury, Flyers forward Vincent Lecavalier said Wednesday that if he was asked to vote again, he would vote the same way and believes fighting still has its place.

Neil

I wouldn't shed a tear if fighting disappeared.  Most of the time it's just a meaningless spectacle, and even when it's holding back the development of officiating in the NHL.  Right now, the refs are useless retards who can't protect anyone, and there's an expectation that the players handle their business on the ice.

That said, it would be a shame if cc started watching hockey again.