News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on July 02, 2013, 03:56:52 PM
The sad news is, when coach Dave Tippet and goalie Mike Smith signed new deals, they both said 'well we knew the options were Phoenix or Seattle, and I was okay with either'. :(
Smith got the assurance the team wouldn't move to Quebec city, he didn't want to play here.  Canadians at it, again.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

Can you blame them?  Edmonton is bad enough, although I suppose now Winnipeg is the worst city with and NHL team.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on July 02, 2013, 11:43:04 PM
Can you blame them?  Edmonton is bad enough, although I suppose now Winnipeg is the worst city with and NHL team.

:ike:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

QuoteThe Phoenix Coyotes are staying in Arizona. For real, this time. For now, anyway.

During a four-hour meeting on Tuesday night that was at times contentious, at times dreadfully boring, and at times positively surreal, Glendale's city council voted 4-3, over the objection of Mayor Jerry Weiers, to accept a lease deal with Renaissance Sports and Entertainment.

The vote paves the way for that group to buy the Coyotes from the NHL after four years of league ownership of the franchise. RSE has until August 5 to close the deal with the league.

viper37

Well, RSE has got the best deal ever.  The NHL and the city are gonna spend a gazillion bucks to keep the team there, but it's their choice.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

katmai

Scotty signed 1yr deal for $900,000 with Florida.

viper37

Quote from: katmai on August 01, 2013, 05:03:14 AM
Good for him.  It's a huge drop, though, going from 4,5 million$ in Montreal to 900 000$ with Florida.
Still, it's an opportunity to finish his carreer on a good note.

Neil

I got to say, I respect Gomez a lot more now than I did before.  The guy has some balls, going into a state where it's open season on anybody with dark-coloured skin.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

katmai

Quote from: viper37 on August 01, 2013, 02:59:53 PM
Quote from: katmai on August 01, 2013, 05:03:14 AM
Good for him.  It's a huge drop, though, going from 4,5 million$ in Montreal to 900 000$ with Florida.
Still, it's an opportunity to finish his carreer on a good note.

It is actually $200,000 more than the 1yr contract he had last year. :D

Barrister

In news I never thought I'd be linking to, the Phoenix Coyotes have officially been sold to ownership intending to keep them in Phoenix.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=429186

I just assumed they'd fail to close, much like Jamison did.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

TroyLloyd

Quote from: viper37 on June 20, 2013, 05:40:39 PM
Gretzky is on our side!

The Great One firmly believes the NHL will return to Quebec City.

The Quebec capital has been without an NHL franchise since the Nordiques left in 1995. But hockey legend Wayne Gretzky said Tuesday his gut feeling is that Quebec City will again have its own pro hockey franchise.

"I think it's only a matter of time before Quebec City is going to get a franchise," Gretzky told reporters at the Joe Carter Classic Golf Tournament. "Listen, I think we all agree it's a good city and it can support an NHL team, especially now with the salary cap rules and the parity we have in the game of hockey.

"When that's going to be, it's anybody's guess but when they do come back in, it's going to be a strong, solid franchise just like Winnipeg is now and it will be as successful as they are."

The NHL made a triumphant return to Winnipeg in 2011 when the Atlanta Thrashers relocated there and were renamed the Jets. The original Winnipeg Jets operated in the NHL from 1979 until 1996 when they left for Phoenix.

The Quebec Nordiques were founded in 1972 and played in the World Hockey Association before joining the NHL in '79. But following the 1994-'95 season the franchise was sold, moved to Denver and renamed the Colorado Avalanche.

To add insult to injury for Quebec hockey fans, the Avs won the Stanley Cup their first year in Denver.

Future of Coyotes

The uncertainty surrounding the NHL's future in Phoenix has helped fuel speculation Quebec City could be a potential landing spot for the Coyotes. Trouble is, Seattle has also been mentioned as a frontrunner for the troubled club, which is currently owned and operated by the league.

Renaissance Sports & Entertainment is trying to purchase the Coyotes and keep them in Arizona. But Glendale city council must decide whether to accept a tentative lease agreement with the group.

Talk around hockey circles is if the deal isn't accepted, the Coyotes could be playing elsewhere next season. Gretzky, 52, was a part-owner in Phoenix as well as the club's head coach (2005-'06 to 2008-'09) following his playing career but couldn't shed any led lights on his former club's future.

"Honestly, I've not followed it at all," he said. "I don't live in Arizona anymore and you probably know more about it than I do.

"I'd be just guessing if I said anything . . . and probably so would you."

Despite the Coyotes' struggles in Phoenix, Gretzky feels there is potential for an NHL club to succeed there.

"It's a great city and it's a great sports city," he said. "When you look at franchises . . . Columbus is a great example: They turned their season around this year, they started winning, they got some excitement, they started selling out again.

"Phoenix is a very good sports city and hopefully they get the right owner that can go in there and keep that franchise in Phoenix."

Gretzky's illustrious NHL career spanned 20 seasons and was spent with four teams (Edmonton, LA, St. Louis and New York Rangers). He retired following the '98-'99 season and the four-time Stanley Cup champion with the Oilers remains the game's all-time leader in goals (894), assists (1,963) and points (2,857).

The six-foot, 189-pound of Brantford, Ont., was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame shortly after he retired.

NHL is very exciting concept.. I love hockey sport and NHL just takes it to another level

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

It says "sock puppet", so I kinda figure it's one of our illustrious members.  I'm betting on anyone but CC, 'cause even as a joke, he would never admit to like NHL hockey :P

On other news, it seems we now have hockey teams too big too fail:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=429396

ulmont

Quote from: viper37 on August 08, 2013, 02:17:11 PM
It says "sock puppet", so I kinda figure it's one of our illustrious members.

That title is given to anyone on Languish with a low enough post count.