News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Looking for a news report, but from Twitter Bettman is saying COG must approve lease by July 2nd, or else he doesn't think the team will be there next year.

Also says "there are relocation options" and when asked about QC he "wouldn't rule it out".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

When it's done, I'll celebrate.  Not a minute before.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on June 27, 2013, 08:55:24 PM

Oh, I'm definitely not saying you should celebrate.

But the game is still afoot.

katmai

very kind of you to celebrate the Seattle team. :)
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

viper37

Quote from: katmai on June 27, 2013, 11:39:23 PM

it will simply prove the hypocrisy of the league.  It would be almost enough to become a basketball fan.  Almost.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on June 28, 2013, 10:15:09 AM
It would be almost enough to become a basketball fan.  Almost.

Trying to become like the NBA is what has hurt the NHL so much.  Screw Stern and his Bettman monster.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

katmai

Quote from: viper37 on June 28, 2013, 10:15:09 AM
Quote from: katmai on June 27, 2013, 11:39:23 PM

it will simply prove the hypocrisy of the league.  It would be almost enough to become a basketball fan.  Almost.

One of last columns i read from Seattle posited the theory that NHL would rather move team to Seattle just because they know Quebec City would pony up money for expansion team.  ;)

viper37

yes, I know that, I've talked about it earlier.

Barrister

I don't get that, myself.  How is an existing team which is available for relocation worth $170 mil, but an expansion team (where you have to build everything from scratch, and is usually terrible for several years) worth more?

I know I'd much rather have the existing team.

And QC isn't exactly huge.  It's even smaller than Winnipeg.  I don't know if they can make a go of it paying $300 mil or so.

Grey Fox

PKP need a team for the same reason Bell owns part of the Habs & Leafs and Rogers part of the Leafs.

Phoenix isn't coming to QCC. The NHL just went tru a realignment, there is no place for them in the East.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on June 28, 2013, 03:57:42 PM
I don't get that, myself.  How is an existing team which is available for relocation worth $170 mil, but an expansion team (where you have to build everything from scratch, and is usually terrible for several years) worth more?

I know I'd much rather have the existing team.
The idea is: how much is a team worth to you?
Quebec city has an arena.  Quebecor rents the arena (3M$/year without hockey, 6M$ if NHL plays there).  Quebecor has a sports channel wich can't compete with RDS because they only show some of the Senators' games (not many fans in Quebec outside the Gatineau area and even there still lots of Habs fans).

So Quebecor needs the NHL.  Quebec city now needs the NHL.  But the NHL doesn't need any of these two.  In fact, playing in Seattle, Vegas, heck even Glendale is probably better in the long term for the league, it means they can renew their tv contract for a much higher number because of a broader audience.

Now, Péladeau might be willing to shell 400M$ for an expansion club made from unwanted players.  Aside the cost of buying the team, the revenues will be similar.  Win or lose, the old arena was almost always full.  I figure it's gonna be the same with the new one.

And QC isn't exactly huge.
True.

QuoteIt's even smaller than Winnipeg.  I don't know if they can make a go of it paying $300 mil or so.
False. ;)
Quebec is ranked 7th with 765 000 people in the metro area, Winnipeg is 8th with 730 000 souls.  Quebec city has over 100 000 people living near/around the city while not being incorporated into Quebec city proper (de-merger + St Lawrence river between Québec and Lévis).
Quebec wins by a hair :)

Now, can they make it with 300, 400 million for an expansion?  I honestly don't know.  Québécor doesn't want a hockey team because it pays a lot, it wants a hockey team because Bell has one, and they need something on their sports channel.  I have no idea how much hockey would bring them.  I have no idea how many ex-Nordiques would go back to their team after they went turncoat and cheered for the ennemy  :cry: :glare: :mad: :yucky:

viper37

I heard on radio they already held the vote and decided to keep the team there, however, I can't find a source for this anywhere.

Barrister

So today is Deadline day in Glendale.

Glendale has scheduled a vote.  HOWEVER the proposal that they have tabled to vote on tonight is a proposal that the purchasers, RSE, have already said is not acceptable to them.

https://twitter.com/cmorganfoxaz/status/350790517430304769

The issue is that the purchasers want an "out" clause after 5 years.  Glendale will give them that, but in return want an "out" clause themselves after five years.  The way the deal is structured Glendale gives the Coyotes 15 mil per year, guaranteed, and in return their are various revenue streams that are projected to give the city back approximately 8 mil per year.  Trouble is those revenue streams are not guaranteed to the City.

But the thing is - if Glendale also gets an "out" clause it appears as if RSE will not be able to get financing to purchase the team - the financing is dependant on having stable, guaranteed income for a number of years.

Gary Bettman and Bill Daly are going to be at the meeting tonight.  I find it impossible to believe they'll fly across the country only to have Glendale vote on a proposal that can't be accepted, so I think something is up.  But who knows?

The sad news is, when coach Dave Tippet and goalie Mike Smith signed new deals, they both said 'well we knew the options were Phoenix or Seattle, and I was okay with either'. :(

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on July 02, 2013, 02:57:06 PM
I heard on radio they already held the vote and decided to keep the team there, however, I can't find a source for this anywhere.

Vote is scheduled for 7pm MST, so the official vote at least hasn't happened.

katmai

Sounds like it's gonna pass from glimpses of twitter feed of AZ sportswriter i'm following.