News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Questions remains about Coyotes deal
What I edited above.  Basically, they have questions, and they want to review carefully their other proposals for the Jobing.com arena.

They're not saying yes, they're not saying no, but they're calling the NHL bluff.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

katmai

Little known about potential Coyotes' buyers

Ray Bartoszek and Anthony Lanza are New Yorkers and hedge-fund investors who don't have many ties to Seattle, but want to bring the struggling Phoenix Coyotes franchise to the city.

By Percy Allen
Seattle Times staff reporter

Unlike Chris Hansen, who grew up a Sonics fan in Seattle, the men hoping to bring a major professional hockey franchise to town don't have many connections to the city.

Raymond Bartoszek and Anthony Lanza are Westchester, N.Y., natives and lifelong New York Mets fans.

In 2011 they failed to become minority partners in the Mets and later that year, Bartoszek purchased an undisclosed stake in the New York Yankees.

"They heard that I was a baseball guy, that I was a New Yorker," Bartoszek told Newsday. "They asked me if I'd be interested in joining their team.

"When the Yankees call, you gotta listen."

The same could have been said of Hansen when a representative of the San Francisco-based hedge-fund millionaire introduced Bartoszek and Lanza to local officials, who began discussions about the NHL in Seattle two weeks ago.

The two men described in general terms their plan to purchase the Phoenix Coyotes from the NHL if the league's deal with another prospective ownership group falls apart.

Early in the conversations, Councilman Tim Burgess said it was apparent the New York investors had a different message than Hansen, who wants to return the Sonics to Seattle.

"One of them clearly had more sports motivation than the other," Burgess said. "The other one was very business-oriented and was looking for an investment that would have long-term benefits. Neither one of them struck me as Chris Hansen, who I'm sure has a business orientation towards the NBA, but clearly has a lot of Seattle motivation and basketball motivation.

"They didn't strike me as having that. They spoke very highly of Seattle as a media market and recognized as it relates to the NHL that this market had great potential and had not been tapped and they wanted to be hopefully a part of that. Beyond that they weren't that detailed."

Still, Burgess said the mayor's office and the potential hockey owners "have a framework, an understanding as to what the lease agreement would look like and how they could use KeyArena for two, three or four seasons if a team were awarded here." Burgess said Bartoszek and Lanza agreed to assume financial responsibility for improvements to KeyArena if the NHL team began playing in Seattle next season.

The New York investors also asked about the Memorandum of Understanding between Hansen, the city and Metropolitan King County Council on a $490 million downtown arena. The agreement demands Hansen acquire an NBA franchise before construction begins.

Burgess said changing the MOU and starting the project early for hockey "would present some significant questions and challenges." Burgess described the meeting with Bartoszek and Lanza as an initial introduction, which makes sense because they're considered baseball enthusiasts with low profiles in the sports community.

Bartoszek, 48, a resident of Greenwich, Conn., graduated from the United States Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point in 1986. He made a fortune as an oil trader for Glencore International, a Switzerland-based giant commodities trader.

Lanza, 46, is the son of Frank Lanza, who founded L-3 Communications, which is one of the nation's largest military contractors. In 2009 Anthony Lanza began the private equity firm Carriage House Partners, where Bartoszek is a partner.

"A couple of years ago they led a group trying buy into the Mets, which would have been a significant investment," said Andrew Zimbalist, an economist at Smith College. "But even in baseball circles, I'm not sure they have a big reputation.

"I'll admit their connection to hockey and Seattle is unclear, but if they're willing to commit millions to the team, then the NHL has to listen."

The league is waiting for negotiations to be resolved between prospective ownership group Renaissance Sports & Entertainment and the Glendale City Council on a rental deal.

At issue is the management of the city-owned Jobing.com Arena where the Coyotes have played since 2003. The city has budgeted $6 million while the RSE group reportedly is targeting $13-15 million.

Contrary to recent reports that a deal is imminent, there was no resolution when the Glendale Council met Tuesday.

Commissioner Gary Bettman hopes the two sides are able to agree on a lease agreement before next Tuesday's council meeting. Without an arena lease there's speculation RSE's deal to buy the team will collapse and the NHL, which has owned the team since 2009, would sell to Bartoszek and Lanza.

"For a long time I thought the team is not viable in Phoenix and it is certainly viable in Seattle," Zimbalist said. "They've been trying to make it work in Glendale now for three years. They haven't been able to find a situation that works. That's because the situation doesn't work.

"It's not economically feasible to have a team down there. It's costing the other owners in revenue sharing, loss at the gate and media revenue. Seattle is a good choice for several reasons, but most importantly there's investors who have stepped up and want to move a team there."
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

viper37

Glendale gets more time
The Glendale, Ariz., City Council has gotten an extra week to deliberate a possible deal to keep the NHL's Phoenix Coyotes, but the plan has hit a new snag.
Los Angeles Kings Phoenix Coyotes

The Phoenix Coyotes and Los Angeles Kings face off at Jobing.com Arena in Glendale, Ariz. (Christian Petersen/Getty Images)

Not surprisingly, it's all about money.

An ownership group that wants to buy the league-owned Coyotes also wants the city of Glendale to pay it $15 million a year to operate the city's Jobing.com Arena, where the NHL team plays. But the City Council has budgeted only $6.5 million.

Before it offers to bridge that funding gap, Glendale wants the potential owners to guarantee the city's proposed cut of revenue from the Coyotes, amounting to $7 million to $8 million from sources like arena naming rights, game parking and ticket surcharges, according to a report from The Arizona Republic newspaper.

Yet the Republic's Dan Bickley wrote Thursday that the ownership group, Renaissance Sports and Entertainment, "won't go down that road." The disagreement could be a "potential deal-killer," Bickley wrote.

Which could mean the Coyotes may soon be available for Seattle, where an alternative ownership group has reportedly made an offer to the NHL to buy the team for $220 million — more than Renaissance's $170 million offer.

Nevertheless, the Glendale City Council now has until its July 2 meeting to make a decision. The NHL has agreed to wait until then rather than the council's June 25 session, though league Commissioner Gary Bettman has said time is quickly running out.

"We're getting to the point where some decisions are going to have to be made," Bettman said last week, noting that the NHL still doesn't know where the Coyotes will play next season.

"There are a number of markets that have been expressing interests to us over the years," Bettman added, according to numerous reports. "And the phone keeps ringing more regularly as long as the Coyotes situation stays unresolved."

Citing an anonymous source, the Republic's Bickley reported that Glendale won't have "a minute longer" than the July 2 meeting to agree with Renaissance on an arena-operating deal. If the plan falls through, Renaissance likely won't have the financing it needs to purchase the Coyotes and keep them in Arizona.

"That also means the nuts-and-bolts negotiating must be done by the end of an electronic session scheduled for Friday, according to the source," Bickley wrote. "If there is no clarity or progress, it could set the Coyotes in motion, and on the road to Seattle."

So, either way, we will be fixed by July 2nd.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Gretzky is on our side!

The Great One firmly believes the NHL will return to Quebec City.

The Quebec capital has been without an NHL franchise since the Nordiques left in 1995. But hockey legend Wayne Gretzky said Tuesday his gut feeling is that Quebec City will again have its own pro hockey franchise.

"I think it's only a matter of time before Quebec City is going to get a franchise," Gretzky told reporters at the Joe Carter Classic Golf Tournament. "Listen, I think we all agree it's a good city and it can support an NHL team, especially now with the salary cap rules and the parity we have in the game of hockey.

"When that's going to be, it's anybody's guess but when they do come back in, it's going to be a strong, solid franchise just like Winnipeg is now and it will be as successful as they are."

The NHL made a triumphant return to Winnipeg in 2011 when the Atlanta Thrashers relocated there and were renamed the Jets. The original Winnipeg Jets operated in the NHL from 1979 until 1996 when they left for Phoenix.

The Quebec Nordiques were founded in 1972 and played in the World Hockey Association before joining the NHL in '79. But following the 1994-'95 season the franchise was sold, moved to Denver and renamed the Colorado Avalanche.

To add insult to injury for Quebec hockey fans, the Avs won the Stanley Cup their first year in Denver.

Future of Coyotes

The uncertainty surrounding the NHL's future in Phoenix has helped fuel speculation Quebec City could be a potential landing spot for the Coyotes. Trouble is, Seattle has also been mentioned as a frontrunner for the troubled club, which is currently owned and operated by the league.

Renaissance Sports & Entertainment is trying to purchase the Coyotes and keep them in Arizona. But Glendale city council must decide whether to accept a tentative lease agreement with the group.

Talk around hockey circles is if the deal isn't accepted, the Coyotes could be playing elsewhere next season. Gretzky, 52, was a part-owner in Phoenix as well as the club's head coach (2005-'06 to 2008-'09) following his playing career but couldn't shed any light on his former club's future.

"Honestly, I've not followed it at all," he said. "I don't live in Arizona anymore and you probably know more about it than I do.

"I'd be just guessing if I said anything . . . and probably so would you."

Despite the Coyotes' struggles in Phoenix, Gretzky feels there is potential for an NHL club to succeed there.

"It's a great city and it's a great sports city," he said. "When you look at franchises . . . Columbus is a great example: They turned their season around this year, they started winning, they got some excitement, they started selling out again.

"Phoenix is a very good sports city and hopefully they get the right owner that can go in there and keep that franchise in Phoenix."

Gretzky's illustrious NHL career spanned 20 seasons and was spent with four teams (Edmonton, LA, St. Louis and New York Rangers). He retired following the '98-'99 season and the four-time Stanley Cup champion with the Oilers remains the game's all-time leader in goals (894), assists (1,963) and points (2,857).

The six-foot, 189-pound of Brantford, Ont., was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame shortly after he retired.

viper37

Wayne. You're supposed to be pushing for a new franchise in a "Canadian" city, not city that hates our country.

Detroit and Buffalo are more Canadian than the center of the separatist movement. Try and find one Canadian flag in that displaced European outpost of xenophobes and racists.
A Neil wannabe? :)

katmai

Looks like pretty much says the same as vipers PI link :)

D-Day for Phoenix Coyotes? Deal for team hits snag

By Dan Bickley, columnist azcentral sports Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:15 AM

The voice on the phone sounded urgent.

"It's the most important 24 hours in the history of the Phoenix Coyotes," the source said.

Here's the latest:

To complete its financing, the Renaissance Sports and Entertainment group needs a firm commitment from the Glendale City Council.  They need a number on paper.  They say they need $15 million annually.

The city has budgeted $6.5 million for management of Jobing.com Arena.

To bridge that $8.5 million gap, the two parties have negotiated revenue streams that will theoretically benefit both sides. The city will get a cut of parking, which will no longer be free for Coyotes fans. It gets a cut of future naming rights, which expire in 2016.  It's get  a portion of ticket surcharge, and will oversee an escrow account that could pay the city even more money.

On paper, it could amount to $7-8 million of new revenue for Glendale every year.

But word is, the city of Glendale wants that number guaranteed.  RSE won't go down that road.   And some fear that snag could be a potential deal-killer.

RSE's Anthony LeBlanc wouldn't comment on negotiations, but wanted to address his group's intentions and loyalty to the Phoenix market.

"We're not doing this to relocate the team," LeBlanc said. "If we end up exercising an out clause, it's going to mean that we lost a whole lot of money.  And the way things are trending, we really believe this franchise will be in the middle of the pack in the NHL in terms of revenue generated."

But time is getting short.  The NHL has agreed to wait until a July 2nd meeting for a proposed deal to go to vote, but not a minute longer.  That would make next Tuesday's meeting informational by nature, and allow the city time to make the proposal public, to satisfy the need for transparency.

That also means the nuts-and-bolts negotiating must be done by the end of an electronic session scheduled for Friday, according to the source.  If there is no clarity or progress, it could set the Coyotes in motion, and on the road to Seattle.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on June 20, 2013, 05:49:20 PM
Wayne. You're supposed to be pushing for a new franchise in a "Canadian" city, not city that hates our country.

Detroit and Buffalo are more Canadian than the center of the separatist movement. Try and find one Canadian flag in that displaced European outpost of xenophobes and racists.

Sounds like something Raz would post.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on June 21, 2013, 08:29:08 AM
Quote from: viper37 on June 20, 2013, 05:49:20 PM

Sounds like something Raz would post.
Yes, especially the part about "the center of the seperatist movement" when the majority in the area voted "no" twice.

Neil

I would think that urban areas would be more likely to vote 'no' and be less likely to vote for the racists and xenophobes that dominate the PQ.

But they're pushing it awfully late if they're planning on moving the team.  It seems to me that this is a surrender.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

Quote from: Neil on June 21, 2013, 09:55:32 AM
I would think that urban areas would be more likely to vote 'no' and be less likely to vote for the racists and xenophobes that dominate the PQ.
Well, Montreal, can be split in two: the racist anglos of the West-Island, building fences to protect themselves from the hordes of filthy French Canadians, and the Eastside.  West votes no&Liberal no matter what, east vote yes and seldom change party affiliation, but still more often than the west.

QuoteBut they're pushing it awfully late if they're planning on moving the team.  It seems to me that this is a surrender.
Quebecor has made a few moves that could be interpreted that they are preparing for a move... But, frankly, I don't think they can do it in time.  The old arena is better than anything in the aforementionned cities, but it's not up to par with NHL regulations.[/quote]

Grey Fox

About time this season ended.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

fhdz

Fantastic game, epic series, brilliant finish.

If you didn't love that series, even if you're a fan of neither Boston nor Chicago, I seriously question your hockey cred.
and the horse you rode in on

PRC

Quote from: fhdz on June 01, 2013, 11:25:25 AM
Quote from: PRC on April 24, 2013, 11:16:43 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on April 24, 2013, 11:05:25 PM
Oh, hey, and the 'hawks win. Again.

You must have missed the game on Monday night where they were dominated for a full 60 minutes.  First round and out.

I just wanted to come back to this so I could say:

:nelson:

Your team did it!  Kudos!  :bowler:

Sophie Scholl

Agreed, fhdz.  One heck of a series.  A great later playoffs as a whole as well.  I loved seeing Buffalo's own Patrick Kane win the CS and a second Cup.  It's probably the closest I'll come to seeing the Sabres ever win. :weep:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

crazy canuck