News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on June 17, 2013, 09:21:32 AM
This seems more like a squeeze play for Phoenix to be honest.  I can't imagine the NHL wants to play out of the 11,000 seat Key Arena.

:huh:

The intention isn't to stay at Key, do you know how to read Beeb?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

viper37

Quote from: katmai on June 17, 2013, 03:31:35 PM
This seems more like a squeeze play for Phoenix to be honest.  I can't imagine the NHL wants to play out of the 11,000 seat Key Arena.

But there's no other arena, nor any plans to build one currently, afaik.  Or am I wrong?  Do you have an arena project under construction?

Until last week-end, there were no prospective owner in Seattle, the deal was to get both NBA&NHL franchise, maybe just NBA, but certainly not just NHL.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: katmai on June 17, 2013, 03:31:35 PM

But the plan *IS* to play out of Key Arena until a new arena is built.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

Quote from: viper37 on June 17, 2013, 03:46:39 PM

But there's no other arena, nor any plans to build one currently, afaik.  Or am I wrong?

You are not wrong, the other plan for arena is sitting there and the city council wants to review as that was based as you say on NBA team first, NHL secondary.

He I'm as surprised by this as anyone. From reading the Seattle sports reporters this is a very fast moving project.

Barrister

I thought my wedding was pretty good, but this couple had a better one.

That's right - their marriage was a Hartford Whalers themed wedding:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/hartford-whalers-themed-wedding-beer-man-included-puts-144902410.html

katmai

How your wife ever agreed to marry you...

Valmy

The Hartford Whalers?  Wow they must be old.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on June 18, 2013, 11:48:20 PM
The Hartford Whalers?  Wow they must be old.

You don't have to be old to reminisce about the return of WHA teams to the NHL. :mad:

PRC

Quote from: Barrister on June 18, 2013, 11:44:03 PM
I thought my wedding was pretty good, but this couple had a better one.

That's right - their marriage was a Hartford Whalers themed wedding:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/hartford-whalers-themed-wedding-beer-man-included-puts-144902410.html

How could that possibly be better than your wedding!? 

The fattest bridesmaid couldn't even wear a tube-top dress and the shade of her mismatched curtain is a different cast than what everyone else is wearing... and fatty looks like the happiest one there.

It's a lame, gimmicky, grasping event that can only end in tears and spouse-breach. 

How could your wedding conceivably be worse than this farce!?

Barrister

viper37

BB, the article is dated april 30th:
Le 30 avril 2013 à 16h26 | TVA Sports / Patrick Caisse

All he says he's that there might be a team available, and he will do everything he can, along his partners, to get it. It says nothing else really, because he doesn't know anything.

And the construction strike will complicate matters.  There will be delays for the new arena, and the old one can not be renovated either.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

So it is.  Ignore please.  :Embarrass:

viper37

Glendale city council has pushed back it's decision the June 29th, possibly July 5th.
I think they want to try Bettman's bluff.

In my opinion, Bettman is fucked with this.  He really doesn't want to be seen as the "bad guy" who will move the team, but he sure doesn't want to finance the full losses of the team.  And there are some contracts expiring by June 30th...

And it's getting too late to move a team.  Anywhere.  Who wants a team in July with no arena ready, no coach, no goalie, lots of free-agents? All for a price in excess of 170M$?
The NHL will likely have to support a team for a full year, with no help from Glendale this time, so that means 25-30M$ less in their pockets by the end of the year. 

I still don't trust the news about these mysterious owners in Seattle willing to pay 220M$ for this year.  But if they think they can make it work, well, so be it.

They don't talk about dates, but it's still an update:
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/19/city-of-glendale-meets-questions-remain-about-coyotes-deal/

fhdz

Hossa missed the morning skate but is supposed to play tonight. You think he'll get on the board for the 'hawks or do you think he'll be playing at less than 100%?
and the horse you rode in on

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on June 19, 2013, 03:31:46 PM
Glendale city council has pushed back it's decision the June 29th, possibly July 5th.
I think they want to try Bettman's bluff.

In my opinion, Bettman is fucked with this.  He really doesn't want to be seen as the "bad guy" who will move the team, but he sure doesn't want to finance the full losses of the team.  And there are some contracts expiring by June 30th...

And it's getting too late to move a team.  Anywhere.  Who wants a team in July with no arena ready, no coach, no goalie, lots of free-agents? All for a price in excess of 170M$?
The NHL will likely have to support a team for a full year, with no help from Glendale this time, so that means 25-30M$ less in their pockets by the end of the year. 

I still don't trust the news about these mysterious owners in Seattle willing to pay 220M$ for this year.  But if they think they can make it work, well, so be it.

I think Seattle is a bluff to be honest.  There just isn't time to move a team.  Quebec City at least has some infrastructure on the ground (remember it's not just the on-ice stuff - you have to sell ads and tickets and the like), but there's nothing in Seattle.

But Phoenix does seem to be pushing back.