News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRC

fhdz

Game 1 tonight. The Bruins are going to be tough as nails but I think Chicago can do it. I think it will be down to the wire, and I think we'll see some overtime battles.

Chicago in 7.
and the horse you rode in on

fhdz

This game is giving me heart palpitations.

Alcibiades

Fucking finally, crazy game, great goalie play
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Sophie Scholl

Amazing stuff.  Best playoffs of any sport, and one of the most amazing games I've watched.  Hats off to all the players and coaches tonight for putting on one hell of a show. :worthy:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

fhdz

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on June 13, 2013, 12:07:13 AM
Amazing stuff.  Best playoffs of any sport, and one of the most amazing games I've watched.  Hats off to all the players and coaches tonight for putting on one hell of a show. :worthy:

Ditto to this. I ended up watching the entire game in a bar and drinking myself silly because it took so fucking long. There was a contingent of Chicago fans at the bar and we all roared when the final goal was scored.

viper37

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rport-glendale-reaches-agreement-arena-030029459--nhl.html

Deal - another - reached between Glendale, the NHL and a new owner for the Coyotes.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Alcibiades

Yet another overtime for the hawks.   :XD:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

katmai

:ph34r:
QuoteCoyotes Sale: NHL meets with Seattle mayor about KeyArena

By Jon Benne on Jun 16 2013, 6:11p

Steven Bisig-USA TODAY Sports

Seattle mayor Mike McGinn confirmed that he met with the NHL about the possibility of hosting a team in KeyArena. The wheels are starting to turn on bringing a team in Seattle.

As the city of Glendale approaches a vote on the sale of the Phoenix Coyotes, the city of Seattle is starting to make their move. Seattle mayor Mike McGinn confirmed, via Chris Daniels of KING 5, that he has met with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman about the possibility of moving the team to the city.

The NHL has also met with the Seattle City Council. McGinn says that a representative from Chris Hansen's group introduced him to potential investors two weeks ago. Daniels confirmed that those investors are Ray Bartoszek and Anthony Lanza.

CBC's Hockey Night in Canada Hotstove reported earlier that Glendale will hold a city council meeting to potentially approve a sale on June 25. A local ownership group has a "handshake agreement" to buy the team, but if the deal isn't approved by the city, Bartoszek and Lanza could move the team to Seattle as early as the 2013-14 season.

If the Coyotes do move to Seattle, it's assumed that they will play in KeyArena until a new facility is built. Hansen's group has an arena plan in place, but that deal is now up in the air after he failed to buy the Sacramento Kings.

KeyArena is hardly an ideal NHL spot, and there are still a lot of hurdles to clear. For now, however, McGinn and the investor group seem optimistic about their chances of bringing professional hockey to Seattle.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

QuotePhoenix Coyotes moving to Seattle? Roenick reportedly part of Plan B for NHL

By Sean Leahy

Getty ImagesDuring their press availability before Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final on Wednesday, NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly discussed the on-going Phoenix Coyotes ownership situation and the need for a resolution. Four years after they were put into bankruptcy, the team remains without an owner, with the league running it since.

During CBC's Hockey Night in Canada Hotstove segment Saturday, the future plans of the Coyotes became a bit clearer, with a report that Plan B for the franchise to a move to Seattle.

According to Elliotte Friedman, the Vancouver Canucks, who announced on Friday that their AHL team was moving to Utica, N.Y., originally had planned to put it in Seattle in KeyArena. Turns out, they were told "it was not available for hockey," reported Friedman.

In a twist, turns out it is available for hockey: NHL hockey, that is. Plan B for the NHL and Coyotes, if the latest candidate doesn't go through with the purchase, is to sell the team to investors Ray Bartoszek and Anthony Lanza, who previously engaged in discussions to purchase a 49-percent stake in the New York Mets in 2011, for $220 million. According to Glenn Healy, if those two do not get what they want by July 2 from the city of Glendale, then they would move the team to The Emerald City. Part of the new ownership group would be former NHLer and current NBC analyst Jeremy Roenick, who would help run the hockey operations department.

KeyArena would be a temporary home until a new facility is built, something Chris Hansen has been working on in his quest to bring basketball back to Seattle.

It appears that the Coyotes saga will come to an end one way or another before next season. We've come a long way since Jim Balsillie, haven't we?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

This seems more like a squeeze play for Phoenix to be honest.  I can't imagine the NHL wants to play out of the 11,000 seat Key Arena.

They did something similar last winter here in Edmonton.  During negotiations in for a new arena Oilers management took a very conspicuous trip to Seattle and met with city officials.  That time it actually backfired on them -the idea they'd leave Edmonton, where they make money hand over fist, for the unknown market of Seattle was laughable.

Not sure what this says about Quebec City though...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on June 17, 2013, 09:21:32 AM
Not sure what this says about Quebec City though...
3 things:
1) The NHL doesn't want to come back ot Quebec city, they never did and the current owners don't like Peladeau (the guys from Bell and Molson specifically and Thompson is also rumored to be no friend).
or
2) They hope to make a ton of money with an expansion in Quebec city while no one would pay for that in Seattle or Vegas
or
3) They realize the only viable plan B is Quebec city but they hope to gauge more money from Quebecor.

Imho, it's a combination of 1&2.  I doubt very much I'll be seeing a team in Quebec city for the near future.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

What do owners think doesn't have much bearing on anything. It's all Betmann's show.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 17, 2013, 12:43:15 PM
What do owners think doesn't have much bearing on anything. It's all Betmann's show.
But Betman need the owners on his side or ultimately he loses his job.

Grey Fox

He only needs 6 owners & he's one of them.

I agree with you on Peladeau, I'm just saying it's not Molson & Thompson that are making it hard, it's Bettman.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.