News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

No reason to panic here.  The Caps would never blow a 2-0 series lead.  Everything's cool...they got this.

:ph34r:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Quote from: HVC on May 06, 2013, 08:49:09 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 06, 2013, 08:48:00 PM
Quote from: HVC on May 06, 2013, 08:46:39 PM
Why couldn't they have beaten Montreal in the last game? Why? :(
They couldn't beat Montreal in the last game of the season.  What makes you think they could have taken them in the playoffs?
the three other games they won (as opposed to the one against Boston) and the way Montreal is playing now.

The way Montreal is playing right now the Leafs would be down 0-3. Reimer is no Anderson.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 07, 2013, 08:15:07 AM
Quote from: HVC on May 06, 2013, 08:49:09 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 06, 2013, 08:48:00 PM
Quote from: HVC on May 06, 2013, 08:46:39 PM
Why couldn't they have beaten Montreal in the last game? Why? :(
They couldn't beat Montreal in the last game of the season.  What makes you think they could have taken them in the playoffs?
the three other games they won (as opposed to the one against Boston) and the way Montreal is playing now.

The way Montreal is playing right now the Leafs would be down 0-3. Reimer is no Anderson.
we shall never know.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 06, 2013, 08:26:25 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 06, 2013, 03:29:40 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 06, 2013, 01:42:55 PM
It come from the time when hockey was played by more civilized men.

Are you thinking of Field Hockey?  :hmm:

No, I am not. You should read up on the history of the NHL. It's always been a violent sport.

Exactly, when has it ever been played by more civilized men?

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 07, 2013, 11:38:41 AM

Back when violent sports were played by gentlemen -_-

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on May 06, 2013, 08:59:30 PM
Quote from: katmai on May 06, 2013, 08:29:29 PM
What do you expect from a game created by vicious inbred icelanders?
Apparently, it came from The British.  They had a pro hockey league before the NHL, or so I've heard.

All sports come from the British.  One wonders what the other countries did to amuse themselves before the British came along.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on May 07, 2013, 11:43:51 AM

Back when violent sports were played by gentlemen -_-

Violent sports are still played by gentlemen - just not hockey.

It is funny that only a daily basis I can point to disgraceful conduct in the NHL playoffs that would get players in any other league banned for at least the season and the hockey fanatics around here have to go back in history to find one in basketball....

Grey Fox

:hmm:

but that's only because Basketball is played by 'bangers nowadays.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 07, 2013, 11:49:33 AM
:hmm:

but that's only because Basketball is played by 'bangers nowadays.

So "bangers" have more self discipline than hockey players.  Interesting.

Grey Fox

Yes. They're posers while Hockey players a real strong men.

We're circling back to this again : Hockey is a violent sports & you don't like that. Yet you offer no solution to the problem.

Just saying Basketball is better isn't enough. You are a lawyer, argue god damn it.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 07, 2013, 11:57:58 AM
Yet you offer no solution to the problem.

Any solutions to that "problem" would be heretical and therefore unacceptable.

He could come here to the US.  Then he would just be bombarded by the peaceful sport of American Football.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 07, 2013, 11:57:58 AM
Yes. They're posers while Hockey players a real strong men.

So the definition of a "strong man" is one who cannot control himself.  Only a true fanatic would come to such a conclusion. :P

Josephus

FWIW, I think they should do more to remvoe fighting from the game. It's got nothing to do with being "men" or whatever. It's purely a financial thing to keep Americans in small markets interested. As CC says, no other sport will tolerate it. I dont' even think they fight in Europe hockey games. You don't see it in Olympics or World Hockey games. If they make an automatic ejection and multi-game suspension for fighting, the sport will be rid of it in no time.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on May 07, 2013, 12:23:44 PM
FWIW, I think they should do more to remvoe fighting from the game. It's got nothing to do with being "men" or whatever. It's purely a financial thing to keep Americans in small markets interested. As CC says, no other sport will tolerate it. I dont' even think they fight in Europe hockey games. You don't see it in Olympics or World Hockey games. If they make an automatic ejection and multi-game suspension for fighting, the sport will be rid of it in no time.

That's right - fighting is not allowed anywhere else.  Not in international play, not in the KHL, not in NCAA hockey.

I've never understood the notion that fighting is used to "police the game".  It always seems to me that it is used to try and intimidate the other team.

What does it for me is all the science of concussions and traumatic brain injury.  How can you try and protect hockey players from head shots, but seemingly be fine with two guys throwing haymakers at each others heads?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

You can't have civilization without violence.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.