And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 24, 2013, 11:03:27 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 24, 2013, 10:56:34 AM
I am first in line to take fighting and cheap shots out of hockey, but all available evidence seems to say that fans like the violence in the game.

I think you're just projecting your own opinion on hockey.

It is undeniable that the current fan base likes the game as it is.  It is also undeniable that the current fan base is too small for the NHL to ever amount to a major sports league.

Why do I care if it is a "major" sports league or not?

As long as it exists and is healthy I could care less that it is only a fraction the size of the NFL.

Besides it is an extremely risky move to take out one of your most popular elements to try and appeal to a wider audience (even though I think the league and its players would be better off if they did).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 24, 2013, 11:09:06 AM
Why do I care if it is a "major" sports league or not?

I didnt say you did.  In fact the opposite. To the extent you defend the sport in is current form it is quite clear you don't.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on April 24, 2013, 10:56:34 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 24, 2013, 10:54:39 AM
Its all a pipe dream.  The league has tried to expand its market and fails everytime.  Eventually it will implode back into the few markets that can sustain it and it will go back to being the local bush league status it deserves.

If they take out the cheap shots and fights and try to turn it into a real sport maybe it has a chance but until then you fans of the game get what you deserve.

I am first in line to take fighting and cheap shots out of hockey, but all available evidence seems to say that fans like the violence in the game.

I think you're just projecting your own opinion on hockey.
CC would only watch if you we're allowed to pick up the puck and skate from one end of the rink to the other and toss it into a tiny net. If anyone touched you in any way you'd get a penalty shot :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 24, 2013, 10:54:39 AM
If they take out the cheap shots and fights and try to turn it into a real sport maybe it has a chance but until then you fans of the game get what you deserve.

Man, that's grand coming from a Basketball fan.

Also, we get it you don't like hockey.

Hockey is a violent sport, deal with it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 24, 2013, 11:21:17 AM
Man, that's grand coming from a Basketball fan.

I know it hard for you to understand what a real sport looks like.  But that is one of the reasons I dont think hockey will ultimately fail in its attempt to become one.

Neil

Hell, pro basketball is a sport the same way the pro wrestling is a sport.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on April 24, 2013, 11:51:30 AM

:lol:

I concede that the NFL and Major League Baseball are more popular by a big margin but its funny to watch someone try to compare hockey to a sport that is in the top 5.  Hell Golf beats out the NHL.  GOLF!

HVC

It never drops below freezing in a very large portion of North America (the vast majority by population ). Is it that surprising that a winter sport wouldn't be popular?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on April 24, 2013, 12:08:06 PM
It never drops below freezing in a very large portion of North America (the vast majority by population ). Is it that surprising that a winter sport wouldn't be popular?

Not sure what the temperature has to do with it.  Vancouver is the least wintery city we have in the country and it is the best hockey market outside Toronto.  Last time I checked all the games are played indoors - aside from the winter classic.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 24, 2013, 12:02:15 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 24, 2013, 11:51:30 AM

:lol:

I concede that the NFL and Major League Baseball are more popular by a big margin but its funny to watch someone try to compare hockey to a sport that is in the top 5.  Hell Golf beats out the NHL.  GOLF!

He's not saying basketball isn't popular.

He's saying it's fixed.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 24, 2013, 12:11:21 PM

Not sure what the temperature has to do with it.  Vancouver is the least wintery city we have in the country and it is the best hockey market outside Toronto.  Last time I checked all the games are played indoors - aside from the winter classic.

And thanks to Vancouver now even the Heritage Classic is going to be played indoors. <_<

And Vancouver is by every objective means one of the worst hockey markets in Canada.

Josephus

hockey is popular in Russia, Sweden, Finland. Not so popular in France, Italy, Spain. Can you guess why?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

indoor rinks are expensive. How many southern towns have them? Basketball, on the other hand can be played as a pick up game 3/4 of the year. All you need to hope is that you grow up tall and with the ability to fall over when someone touches you. Children rule sports. You watch and play it as a kid and you'll follow it as an adult.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on April 24, 2013, 12:19:04 PM
hockey is popular in Russia, Sweden, Finland. Not so popular in France, Italy, Spain. Can you guess why?

The lack of real sports?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 24, 2013, 12:13:55 PM
And Vancouver is by every objective means one of the worst hockey markets in Canada.

You just keep telling yourself that as the Jets struggle to survive in that market.... again.