And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C.C.R.

Quote from: fahdiz on February 22, 2013, 11:24:27 PM
AND THE 'HAWKS MAKE HISTORY!!!!!!!

It's about hit the point where when somebody finally beats them it's going to be like them winning the Special Olympics -- yeah, you beat the Blackhawks for the first time this year, but you're still retarded...

:P

Josephus

Of course the Habs' streak will come to an end today <_<
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Which one ? The 1 game losing streak or the Points in 8 games streak?

Last meet, The Laffs detroyeds the Habs, they better show up big tonite.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Anyone want to talk realignment?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416887

Seems a little odd, and their plan from last year a little bit cleaner.  What seems really bizarre to me is that they introduce wild card rules, but they only work within-conference.  That is, a team from the 16-team Eastern conference can not cross over to the 14-team western conference.

But hey, they fixed my #1 gripe - you play home and home with every team in the league.  Good.  And while it sucks for the Jets to be the only Canadian team in their conference, at least it sucks less than watching Florida, Tampa Bay and Carolina 6 times per year.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Having east vs west conference is a compromise to both owners & NBC. No teams wants to travel cross country before the Final & NBC doesn't really want an all west final.

Valmy

The Divisions are idiotic.   I do not see any particular improvement.  And really?  Move Detroit East?   :yuk:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on February 27, 2013, 02:01:51 PM
The Divisions are idiotic.   I do not see any particular improvement.  And really?  Move Detroit East?   :yuk:

What's inherently wrong with Detroit in the east?

This whole thing is driven by time zones.  Detroit and Columbus are in the eastern time zone.  They didn't like having to play so many of their away games at 8, 9 or even 10 at night (for home tv viewers).

The division between Central and Atlantic seems bizarre.  I think it's driven by the fact that NYR/NYI/NJD/PHI/PIT all want to stay together, and that TOR/OTT/MTL/BOS want to remain together.

Grey Fox

I'm sure Buffalo doesn't want to let Toronto go either.

Central for the Habs division is a stupid name. Call it North damn it or the Orr.

Gretzky Division
Roy Division
Orr Division
Lemieux Division

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on February 27, 2013, 02:24:28 PM
What's inherently wrong with Detroit in the east?

Because they are one of the traditional powerhouses of the West that's why.  Granted this 'tradition' only goes back to 1974 but there were no conferences before then.

I know the NHL loves to mock its own history and is governed by people with a pathological hatred of Hockey but is nothing sacred?

And there should be a division with all the Southern teams, having them split up with a bunch of northern teams is stupid and it works best to have the unpopular teams nobody likes all out the way so we can ignore them...except the Caps who are universally beloved.  But I guess it makes some sort of Bettman sense to put Florida in the the same division with Detroit and Montreal and the other Southern teams in there with New York.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 27, 2013, 02:34:46 PM

Central for the Habs division is a stupid name. Call it North damn it or the Orr.

Gretzky Division
Roy Division
Orr Division
Lemieux Division

Names related to or refer to Hockey are hateful to the NHL.  The more generic and boring the more it makes Bettman smile...even if the geographical names are misleading and make no logical sense.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 27, 2013, 02:34:46 PM

Gretzky Division
Roy Division
Orr Division
Lemieux Division

Wrong, it's:

Smythe
Norris
Patrick
Adams

Naming divisions for people who are still alive, and some of whom are still involved in the NHL (or are rumoured to be) seems odd. 

And Howe>Roy.  Hell I can think of a dozen people to put before Roy.  He gets ranked #22 in a ranking of the best hockey players of all time.

Even the Midwest division seems odd.  Only three of the teams (chicago, Minneapolis, St. Louis) are in what would normally be considered the mid-west.

Ed Anger

They might as well give the bluejackets to Quebec or something. What a mess.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 27, 2013, 02:50:57 PM
They might as well give the bluejackets to Quebec or something. What a mess.

When they traded Nash you knew this year wouldn't be a good one... :console:

Neil

What is it with Ohio and bad sports teams?  Is there anything that they're good at there?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Neil on February 27, 2013, 03:18:49 PM
What is it with Ohio and bad sports teams?  Is there anything that they're good at there?

Meth.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive