And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Barrister

So in yesterday's practice, Zach Redmond of the Jets had his leg cut by a skate.  Apparently the skate cut through his femoral artery, and apparently it was only through the fast actions of an assistant coach and a couple of players in applying a tourniquet that he didn't just bleed out right there on the ice.

Crazy.  The kid had just been called up from St. John's, and had looked good in his first couple games.  But now he's done for the season.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

sbr

33 year anniversary of  The Miracle on Ice.

USA!!  USA!!

fhdz

AND THE 'HAWKS MAKE HISTORY!!!!!!!
and the horse you rode in on

Barrister

So the Jets were going through a rough patch at home, and seemed almost glad to go on an extended road trip.

And for good reason - they're now 3-1 on the road (and led that game in Philly for most of it), and spirits are high as your Winnipeg Jets come into MSG tonight.  Should be a good one.

One-time "toughest man in the AHL" Anthony Peluso is again in the line-up.  Considering he tried to get into a fight in his first game (his opponent suckered him, leading Peluso to get the instigator), and did get in a fight his second (and left the fight with the other guy leakin'), I expect we'll see some fisticuffs tonight.

Neil

You know, it's interesting how overlooked Montreal is right now.  Under the radar is a good place to be.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on February 26, 2013, 05:07:19 PM
You know, it's interesting how overlooked Montreal is right now.  Under the radar is a good place to be.

Who the hell is overlooking Montreal?  They're #1 in the East.

Do I think they'll stay there?  No.  But that doesn't mean I'm overlooking a team that is playing extremely well right now.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on February 26, 2013, 05:28:49 PM

Do I think they'll stay there?  No.  But that doesn't mean I'm overlooking a team that is playing extremely well right now.
The sports media sure seems to be overlooking them.  It might be that their relatively quiet success isn't as interesting a story as Ottawa soldiering on without their top defenceman, the apathy and cowardice of the Calgary Flames or the continuing gong show that is hockey in Toronto or Vancouver.  I can't remember the last time I heard anybody say anything about them.  There was more time talking about how realignment meant that Quebec City wasn't going to be getting the Coyotes under any circumstances.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on February 26, 2013, 05:39:25 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 26, 2013, 05:28:49 PM

The sports media sure seems to be overlooking them.  It might be that their relatively quiet success isn't as interesting a story as Ottawa soldiering on without their top defenceman, the apathy and cowardice of the Calgary Flames or the continuing gong show that is hockey in Toronto or Vancouver.  I can't remember the last time I heard anybody say anything about them.  There was more time talking about how realignment meant that Quebec City wasn't going to be getting the Coyotes under any circumstances.

I mostly just follow the Winnipeg sports media without football going on. :)

But even then, I don't know I agree with you.  TSN gives quite a bit of coverage to the Habs from what I've seen.

Huh - I just realized tonight's Jets game is on the main TSN network, and not TSN-Jets.  Too bad, I'll miss the nasally voice of Dennis Beyak.  Thankfully though TSN has people who actually know the Jets so will do a better job than CBC does.

On the upside, it gives all you Canucks a rare opportunity to watch the real most overlooked team right now - the Jets.  Oh, and the Rangers too.

Valmy

If the Caps win tonight they will be juts four points out of first place.  Good thing their division is crap...er...I mean crap plus the almighty Jets.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Cool.  A Jets game that is actually watchable.  That might be interesting.  Normally their games either aren't broadcast or are on Saturday afternoon when everyone has better things to do.

It's a crime that I would have to pay extra for RDS.

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on February 26, 2013, 05:48:30 PM
If the Caps win tonight they will be juts four points out of first place.  Good thing their division is crap...er...I mean crap plus the almighty Jets.
No, it's alright to call a horseshit division what it is.  They're only going to send one team to he playoffs, but at the same time you can't write anybody off yet, which is more than you can say about Columbus' chances.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on February 26, 2013, 05:58:10 PM
Cool.  A Jets game that is actually watchable.  That might be interesting.  Normally their games either aren't broadcast or are on Saturday afternoon when everyone has better things to do.

Yeah, I hate these Saturday afternoon games.  I mean I guess it's better than last year when I couldn't watch the Saturday games at all, but I generally have stuff I want to do on Saturdays.

And Valmy, the SE is crap, there's no pretending otherwise.  That's how the Jets are only 2 points out of leading the division and 3rd place in the standings, while at the same time are only 4 points out of bottom of the conference.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on February 26, 2013, 05:58:10 PM

It was very interesting. :cool:

Jets are now in a three-way tie for first in the SE.

Grey Fox

I've seen plenty of Habs coverage.

Neil, time to shell out & get RDS.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.