News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Les Habs will win it all this year.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on January 29, 2013, 11:24:37 PM
Les Habs will win it all this year.

:bleeding:

And you thought Vancouver fans were annoying?

Tonight though the Jets did not deserve the win - game was not as close as the score might make you think.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

We're not annoying. We're omnipresent!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Jamieson still hasn't found the money to buy the Coyotes.  The mayor says he won't extend the deal, but is willing to negotiate with someone else.

Of course the NHL has let the rumour float that there is a "someone else".

So, here we are.  4 years in the hands of the NHL, 2 potential buyers depending on public financing from the city of Glendale and still no deal.  Well, unless Jamieson can do it before midnight.

Frankly, Betman looks like a fool in this.  But he'll keep trying to let this team there for another year, at least.  <sigh>
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on January 31, 2013, 11:26:07 AM
Jamieson still hasn't found the money to buy the Coyotes.  The mayor says he won't extend the deal, but is willing to negotiate with someone else.

Of course the NHL has let the rumour float that there is a "someone else".

So, here we are.  4 years in the hands of the NHL, 2 potential buyers depending on public financing from the city of Glendale and still no deal.  Well, unless Jamieson can do it before midnight.

Frankly, Betman looks like a fool in this.  But he'll keep trying to let this team there for another year, at least.  <sigh>

But in the past Bettman had a problem.  He had two troubled franchises (Atlanta and Phoenix), and only one possible destination (Winnipeg).  All the other possible destinations did not have viable arenas.  Atlanta ultimately moved to Winnipeg of course, but that left him with no viable destination.

But what's happened in the meantime?  Quebec City has started building an arena, and Seattle has started to build an arena.  Now Bettman has two viable destinations.

So stalling for all this time has paid off.  It also shows that maybe there is no more reason to stall...

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 30, 2013, 07:13:52 AM

I think Beeb just finds anybody who is a fan of any other Canadian team annoying.  "Wait did you just say 'I kind of like the Habs and it would put a smile on my face a bit if they win'?!  HOW OBNOXIOUS!!" :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on January 31, 2013, 12:18:00 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 30, 2013, 07:13:52 AM

I think Beeb just finds anybody who is a fan of any other Canadian team annoying.  "Wait did you just say 'I kind of like the Habs and it would put a smile on my face a bit if they win'?!  HOW OBNOXIOUS!!" :P

Senators fans are inoffensive.

Grey Fox

Senators fans are the best. They have nothing & yet still soldiers own. Gotta admire that.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

C.C.R.

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 31, 2013, 12:37:23 PM
Senators fans are the best. They have nothing & yet still soldiers own. Gotta admire that.

Nope.  I've known too many Cubs fans over the years to admire that...

:P

Barrister

Jamison is out.  City will not extend lease.  Mayor is trying to find a new buyer.   :lol:

viper37

If Jamison could not complete the deal, I doubt very much anyone else can.  If there was someone, Jamison wouldn't have needed to go to the Middle East to find investors.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

The latest news I read are this:
- The NHL will let Jamison as much time as he needs to find the 170M$ needed to pay them.
- The city is willing to negotiate a new deal, albeit more to Glendale advantage than the current one, but it wants to avoid supporting an empty arena.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on January 31, 2013, 04:08:15 PM
The latest news I read are this:
- The NHL will let Jamison as much time as he needs to find the 170M$ needed to pay them.
- The city is willing to negotiate a new deal, albeit more to Glendale advantage than the current one, but it wants to avoid supporting an empty arena.

Always remember - the NHL does not want to play lame duck games.  If they announce the team is done they know attendance will plummet.  After all, that's what happened in WPG when they had a lame duck year.  The NHL will say everything is fine right up until the moment they announce the team is gone.

Josephus

Maybe all you rich 1 per centers on this forum ought to pool together and buy a team. ;)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

I don't want a team in a failing league.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive