News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 09, 2013, 12:40:58 PM
The center of the Hockey Universe is exploding right now. Burke got fired!

Great - now I can expect to hear nothing but TML news coming from TSN for the next week or so.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Pretty much. And on Roger Sportsnet too.

Curse them for buying the team together. Curse the CRTC for allowing it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 09, 2013, 12:55:34 PM
Pretty much. And on Roger Sportsnet too.

Curse them for buying the team together. Curse the CRTC for allowing it.

Meh - pretty much stick with TSN since they have the Jets regional channel, and thus have a dedicated staff in Winnipeg.

And it would be like this no matter who owned the Leafs.  After all you don't see massive Jets coverage in the Globe and Mail, despite both being owned by Thomson.

Grey Fox

Maybe a little less if the RoBellus didn't own the team. They bought it to have cheap content on the air.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 09, 2013, 01:02:04 PM
Maybe a little less if the RoBellus didn't own the team. They bought it to have cheap content on the air.

No, not cheap content (the NHL has rules to prevent teams owned by media outlets from under-selling their media rights).  Rather it was to guarantee access to content.

Bell/Rogers doesn't mind paying for hockey - they just live in fear of losing it altogether.

PRC

Weird timing on the Burke firing.

Neil

Quote from: Josephus on January 09, 2013, 11:23:25 AM
Yeah, but for me, by then the Leafs are already out of playoff contention.
But isn't that true at all times?  Even when they're winning, they're just biding their time until the bottom drops out and they break the hearts of all the fools who adhere to their nonsense out of tradition or mental illness.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

HVC

Quote from: PRC on January 09, 2013, 01:17:15 PM
lockout is over so they don't need as a representative, he's underperformed for four years (even by leafs standards) and new owners who aren't tied to the hiring. Perfect timing, really.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

No kidding.  Who fires their GM right before the season?

Even if they were going to fire him, I would have waited until the end of the season.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the rumoured Luongo to Toronto deal.  Didn't Burke have some negative history with Vancouver's GM Mike Gillis?

Josephus

Not really. MLSE has a habit of doing bizare things. Look at the soccer team that they own, Toronto FC. Yesterday they hired a new manger, who is still employed as  player with a foreign team.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

Quote from: Josephus on January 09, 2013, 01:43:13 PM

Not really. MLSE has a habit of doing bizare things. Look at the soccer team that they own, Toronto FC. Yesterday they hired a new manger, who is still employed as  player with a foreign team.
who'll be on contract until the end of July at his team :lol:

Guy even have any coaching experience? I know tfc isn't exactly the big leagues, but you'd think they could do better then a 35 year old playing on a soon to be relegated team with no coaching experience.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on January 09, 2013, 01:37:32 PM

I wonder if it has anything to do with the rumoured Luongo to Toronto deal.  Didn't Burke have some negative history with Vancouver's GM Mike Gillis?
I hope not. Don't want that over hyped, over paid choker anywhere near the leafs.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on January 09, 2013, 01:58:22 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 09, 2013, 01:37:32 PM

I hope not. Don't want that over hyped, over paid choker anywhere near the leafs.

I don't get the Lou-hate.  His stats are great.  He won the freaking gold medal for Canada.

Now, I wouldn't want him because of his contract, but not because he isn't a good goalie.

Neil

Yeah, it's not like a better goalie could carry the Canucks to a Cup.  For one thing, you could make a case that there aren't any better goalies, or at least that Luongo is one of the very best.  For another thing, no-heart, cheap-shot bitches don't often win the Cup, and the Canucks are no-heart, cheap-shot bitches.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

Quote from: HVC on January 09, 2013, 01:53:28 PM
Guy even have any coaching experience? I know tfc isn't exactly the big leagues, but you'd think they could do better then a 35 year old playing on a soon to be relegated team with no coaching experience.

Nope. None. At.All
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011