And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 06, 2012, 02:52:32 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 06, 2012, 02:05:35 PM
There's some optimism coming out of the owner-player meetings (Bettman and Fehr both not allowed to attend).  But today they're back.  Looks like they're either got to get a deal announced soon, or else things blow up again.

I am going to be very upset if the current NBA coverage is reduced to show an inferior sport played by a small number of countries.

You are one lucky SOB that Raz isn't an hockey fan.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 06, 2012, 02:52:32 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 06, 2012, 02:05:35 PM
There's some optimism coming out of the owner-player meetings (Bettman and Fehr both not allowed to attend).  But today they're back.  Looks like they're either got to get a deal announced soon, or else things blow up again.

I am going to be very upset if the current NBA coverage is reduced to show an inferior sport played by a small number of countries.

To live is to be disappointed, CC. :console:

Now the PA wants the mediators from last week to be brought back in. :hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 12, 2012, 09:36:36 AM
No season this year. 50% chance of no season next year.

In light of todays even, I think this bear repeating.

Barrister

If you're okay with NHL hockey not being played this year (which I am, after 15 years of nothing) today was highly entertaining.  I do like that Mark Chipman of the Jets was one of the owners involved earlier on in the proceedings.

Valmy

http://www.sportspickle.com/news/15013/gary-bettman-fires-nhl-network-president-over-drop-in-tv-ratings

QuoteNHL commissioner Gary Bettman fired the president of the league's network today, citing a huge drop in ratings to-date compared to last season.

"I was looking at some ratings numbers at my desk this morning and was shocked and horrified by what I saw," said Bettman. "So I called Mark [Custance] in and asked him to explain the dramatic drop. All he had was excuses, so I let him go. Excuses don't work at this level. This is a professional sports league. For some reason, I have to keep reminding everybody of that."

Due to the NHL lockout that now looks likely to cancel the entire 2012-2013 season, the NHL Network has been forced to fill its schedule with rebroadcasts of old NHL games or live junior and minor league hockey action. Custance said he reminded Bettman of that when they spoke this morning.

"I'm not sure he understands that there are no NHL games right now," said Custance. "I think he thinks they're trying to negotiate a contract but that the games are still being played. Actually, I'm fairly positive that's what he believes. He is easily the dumbest man I have ever met or worked with."

The now-unemployed TV exec said losing his job with the NHL Network was bittersweet.

"I love hockey, so that's hard," he said. "But this is probably best for me career-wise to go out and get another employer because it's very unlikely the NHL will be in business a year from now."

LOL what a clown.  The NHL should be able to write off Bettman's salary as charity because that is the only reason that idiot still has a job.  Worst run league in sports.  And that is really saying something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on December 07, 2012, 01:55:32 AM
If you're okay with NHL hockey not being played this year (which I am, after 15 years of nothing) today was highly entertaining.

Yeah nothing makes me happier than seeing a critical prime year of Ovechkin's career going down the drain while the NHL attempts to complete its suicide in the American market.  What really makes me okay with all this is it is the Caps own freaking owner who is leading the charge.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Grey Fox

I don't think the NHL can survive this lock-out. This is bad.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on December 21, 2012, 01:39:04 PM
LOL what a clown.  The NHL should be able to write off Bettman's salary as charity because that is the only reason that idiot still has a job.  Worst run league in sports.  And that is really saying something.

Umm, you are aware that you linked to a humour site, right? :unsure:

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on December 21, 2012, 03:09:16 PM

The commentary was silly but the story is true.  He did fire the dude in charge of the NHL network.

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on December 21, 2012, 03:19:05 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 21, 2012, 03:09:16 PM
The commentary was silly but the story is true.  He did fire the dude in charge of the NHL network.
Maybe.  I have yet to see any evidence.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on December 21, 2012, 03:23:08 PM
Maybe.  I have yet to see any evidence.

I heard the report on 106.7 The Fan in DC.  I just grabbed an article online so I could bitch about it.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 21, 2012, 02:41:22 PM
I don't think the NHL can survive this lock-out. This is bad.

I'm anticipating a return to the old days. a Canadian league with the old American teams tacked on.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Lock-out appears to be over.

Valmy

Hurray for hockey!  Hurray at last!  Hurray for Bettman the horse's ass!

Barrister