News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

So, Seattle will get an NHL team before Quebec city?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Btw, did any of our Canadian lawyers saw the news where the Montreal players aim to get recognized as a legitimate union in Quebec, and thus prevent the NHL from going into lock-out, at least for Montreal, and then maybe for other provinces too?

The core of the argument would reside as to whom is the employer: the team or the league.  I'd lean toward the team, but I suppose a credible argument can be made that since the contract is negotiated&signed in New York, as well as all rules of the game, the league is the real employer in terms of enforcing labour laws.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on September 12, 2012, 12:55:19 PM
Btw, did any of our Canadian lawyers saw the news where the Montreal players aim to get recognized as a legitimate union in Quebec, and thus prevent the NHL from going into lock-out, at least for Montreal, and then maybe for other provinces too?

The core of the argument would reside as to whom is the employer: the team or the league.  I'd lean toward the team, but I suppose a credible argument can be made that since the contract is negotiated&signed in New York, as well as all rules of the game, the league is the real employer in terms of enforcing labour laws.

No, the argument is different - that precisely because the NHLPA is NOT a recognized union, that the NHL can't lock them out.

They're making the same filing in Alberta.  Apparently courts in Ontario already rejected that request.  No idea why the PA hasn't done anything in BC or Manitoba.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on September 07, 2012, 03:08:31 PM
Live webcam where you can watch Quebec City's new arena being built. :)

http://www.ville.quebec.qc.ca/webcameras/amphitheatre.aspx

I keep coming back to this every day for a few secs.  It's kind of cool to see the progress.  Of course they're just excavating for right now.

Grey Fox

When you see it stop for 6 to 8 months, do not worry, that's business as usual for these parts.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 12, 2012, 01:30:06 PM
When you see it stop for 6 to 8 months, do not worry, that's business as usual for these parts.

I did wonder about starting construction in September.  The ground is going to freeze up in a couple of months.

Grey Fox

I think they have to decontaminate the ground first anyway. So excavate now & build foundation before Winter & then shut everything down until the spring?

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 12, 2012, 01:39:33 PM
I think they have to decontaminate the ground first anyway. So excavate now & build foundation before Winter & then shut everything down until the spring?

Didn't they move the location so they didn't have to worry about contaminated ground?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on September 12, 2012, 01:42:04 PM

Didn't they move the location so they didn't have to worry about contaminated ground?

I don't know. Where is it being built in the end? Stampede ground or the Colisee's parking lot?

viper37

The ground is not stable there.  They need metal post to reach solid ground, most likely rock deep below the clay.
So that's what they'll be doing now until they start with the concrete forms come december.

It's not unusual to start public project in september.  Bureaucracy at work.  And they, they wonder why it costs more to build here than elsewhere in Canada.

Basically, the problem is this: bureaucrats are on vacation during summer time, rotating vacations, 3-5 weeks each person, beginning at the end of june until the end of August.  So, big public projects that need governmental funding or specific authorization are practically on hold during this time.  From January to March/April, nearly everyone in every government office is in "budget mode", they crunch numbers for the budget of their department and are doing the equivalent of the Federal government MYOP (multi year operational plan).  So most projects are either on hold or are advancing very slowly.

Then of course, you need engineering and architectural plans.  These big firms suffer from the same summer problem as the government.  Add to this that a lot of these firms are the same ones supervising road&bridge construction/maintenance, so they don't have a lot of manpower during summer.

Hence, we get at this marvelous time of the year to start projects: september.  Everyone is back in the office, back at home to watch the little ones go to school.  Life is back to normal, projects can get started.
I had a small city project that was supposed to start early August.  It's now been pushed to the end of October, best case scenario.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 12, 2012, 01:30:06 PM
they won't stop.  They'll just build the foundations in winter time for 25-30% more of the summer price (excavation will be done, so that reduces costs a little).

katmai

Quote from: viper37 on September 12, 2012, 12:52:43 PM
I won't be that bold in claim. But glad to see they finally worked out all the little quibbles and arena can move forward. And having Ballmer, and Nordstrom family involved means some deep pockets involved.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Valmy

Quote from: katmai on September 12, 2012, 03:22:23 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 12, 2012, 12:52:43 PM
I won't be that bold in claim. But glad to see they finally worked out all the little quibbles and arena can move forward. And having Ballmer, and Nordstrom family involved means some deep pockets involved.

If they had only done that a few years ago.  Kevin Durant would be playing for Seattle.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

katmai

Different mayors administration/different city council and different possible ownership group. So fuck off frog loving fruit.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

Quote from: katmai on September 12, 2012, 03:40:02 PM
Different mayors administration/different city council and different possible ownership group. So fuck off frog loving fruit.

You drunk kat? :huh: