News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: PRC on June 21, 2012, 03:01:01 PM
Would they go back to the name Nordiques... or go with something new?

Unlike the Winnipeg group which avoided the name and imagery of the Jets, the Quebec group has strongly embraced them from the beginning.  Lots of photo-ops of politicians wearing Nords jerseys for example.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: PRC on June 21, 2012, 03:01:01 PM
Would they go back to the name Nordiques... or go with something new?
IIRC, it has been confirmed by Quebecor that if the name if available from the NHL, they will use it, if a team comes back.

They thought about "Le National", wich is the name of a fictional hockey team in a popular hockey drama (He shoots, he scores on CBC, years ago).
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

OMG: Bettman and Roy eat breakfast together
Jason Brough
Jun 22, 2012, 11:59 AM EDT

With about a billion reporters milling around the media hotel this morning in Pittsburgh, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman decided to sit down with Patrick Roy for the most important meal of the day.

This, of course, set off all kinds of gossip among the shorts-with-black-socks set. What were Bettman and Roy talking about? It had to be about the Coyotes moving to Quebec City, right? After all, the league owns the Phoenix franchise and it's been rumored Roy could be a key figure with the team should it move to La Belle Province.

Yahoo!'s Nick Cotsonika ran into Bettman after and told him the tête-à-tête created quite a stir. The commissioner asked Cotsonika if people were speculating. Cotsonika replied, "Of course." To which Bettman said, "Welcome to my life."

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/22/omg-bettman-and-roy-eat-breakfast-together/

:ph34r:

Grey Fox

Mesdames, messieurs accueillont nos Nordiques!

:yeah:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

katmai

Keep dreaming there Fox.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

viper37

Roy denies talking about the Coyotes.

Maybe Betman is planning to move the Jets?  They're already playing in the estern division :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on June 22, 2012, 01:57:54 PM

But did they talk about les Nordiques? :ph34r:

Nah - it's almost certainly nothing.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on June 22, 2012, 02:04:33 PM
Quote from: viper37 on June 22, 2012, 01:57:54 PM

But did they talk about les Nordiques? :ph34r:

Nah - it's almost certainly nothing.
according to a text by Le Soleil, they met before, and they were just talking about the NHL draft, and how were things with the Rempart.

viper37

Supreme court rules in favor of Glendale.  I haven't seen this in the local media, only heard on radio, but apparently Goldwater is throwing the towel and won't go further.  No Coyotes in Quebec, or Seattle for that matter.

Maybe the Quebec city Devils or Islanders?  Nah.  That will never happen :)

So much for going to an hockey game next year.

Neil

Yeah, it's too late for next year.  Still, the league will probably still own the team next year, since this guy's financing will have to fall through.  I have a hard time believing that in this economy there's people that are willing to flush tens of millions of dollars down the toilet every year.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

Quote from: Neil on June 29, 2012, 10:19:16 AM
Yeah, it's too late for next year.  Still, the league will probably still own the team next year, since this guy's financing will have to fall through.  I have a hard time believing that in this economy there's people that are willing to flush tens of millions of dollars down the toilet every year.
depends on how much money they pay the team, how much they receive from the NHL and then the city.
For 20 years, they get about 15 million$ from the city.  Half the loss is there.
If they get the team for 120-130million$ from the NHL and if they get some 10-15 million$ a year as per the revenu sharing agreement, then it becomes possible.  Until there's another financial crisis.

Neil

Frankie Boullion is a Hab again.  If Darcy Tucker was still in the league, he'd get fucked up.  :)

That and Prust should add some grit to a team that needs it.

Also, with Salo gone, the Canucks are finished.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Huh - despite how much the Jets claimed they are "interested" and "involved" in Parise, I didn't expect them to be signing anyone but 4th line role-players this off-season.

But then they went out and signed Jokinen. :hmm: Perhaps they're not quite so cheap as I thought they'd be this year. 

And as a smug aside - my dad was n town.  We were discussing the very recent birth of my son.  Then out of the blue my dad tells a short anecdote about when I was born.  It was taking awhile, so he remembers listening to the hockey game.  The, you guessed it, the Winnipeg Jets had just beaten the Houston Aeros 11-0 led of course by Bobby Hull. :punk:

Neil

Ouch.  Poor Jets.

Then again, it's not like Jokinen is a terrible player.  He was just never worth what the Flames would trade for him every year.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on July 02, 2012, 10:50:23 PM
Ouch.  Poor Jets.

Then again, it's not like Jokinen is a terrible player.  He was just never worth what the Flames would trade for him every year.

His stats are decent enough.  It's just that after we had a 4th-liner (Tanner Glass) and our back up goalie (Chris Mason) sign elsewhere for less money than they were being offered in Winnipeg, you had to wonder if simply nobody wanted to sign here.

They're giving Jokinen 9 mil over two years.  You could argue it's more than he's worth, but the beauty of it is that it is only 2 years.  And besides the Jets have cap room to burn at this point.